Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Friday, January 13, 2017

It's Friday!!!

Along with most people, I have been thinking about my dreams, goals, and expectations for the new year. And...I'm still thinking! I actually have a list of books that I'm compiling that I want to read, I have a Bible verse I want to use for this year, and I have several goals written down. However, I say all that to say that I'm not writing about any of that right now! 😀

I want to write a few things about what is happening in our lives, and I will come back and revisit that first paragraph another time. We have been adjusting to our back-to-school routine. The boys truly enjoy going to the Christian school, and it's been a good experience for them. I do have a few prayer requests about a few things though. Our youngest and oldest sons seem to both find school particularly challenging. We are in need of wisdom on how to help them succeed and how to encourage them. Please pray that both parents and students will be encouraged!

The boys have started taking tennis lessons along with the rest of the students at the school. They had their first lesson today and they came home full of news on the topic! It's so fun to see them excited about their experiences!

                                     Snow from last week! This week it warmed up to 45 degrees!

It's been a slow year for snow (or at least in the mind of these people from Wisconsin)! We get s little bit and then it warms up and melts. The boys have enjoyed every bit we've gotten thus far, and our yard is a swarm of trails, forts, and snow piles  (they are trying to make it last, but putting it in piles).

We attended a birthday  party at the ice skating rink last Saturday, and the boys certainly enjoyed that. They have made some really good friends through the school, and we are thankful for that.

My mom has been staying busy with folding lots of clothes, reading lots of books to Emma, helping with chauffeuring children to school, and playing uno with the boys. I'm thankful for her willingness to pick up or drop off kids, or to keep Emma at home while I drop off or pick up kids. I helped out with the hot lunch at school last week, and it was nice to have someone to watch Emma while I did that.

Hannah came down last week to help me put a video presentation together for our church. Our pastor asked if I would be willing to present my upcoming missions trip to Haiti. I don't have any of my own pictures from Haiti since I haven't been there yet! Thankfully, Hannah has many pictures tochose from! 😀 She came to our church on Sunday and did the presentation with me. I almost mad it through the entire presentation without tears, but this missions trip is especially close to my heart. I am so excited to be going on this missions trip with her. God has proven Himself strong and faithful at every step of this journey. The church has taken up an offering for the missions trip to Haiti, and I'm thrilled to report that I have 75% of the cost covered! Roger and I took a step of faith when I committed to going, and I have been completely amazed at how God has provided. We are leaving two weeks from today, and I am looking forward to seeing the Lord at work. It's so easy to become complacent and lukewarm in our walk with the Lord in America. We aren't in need of food, clothing or shelter, but yet I can find much to complained about. I'm praying and anticipating that God is going to do a great work in my own life during this trip. I'd also like to be a special blessing to someone on this trip, so please pray that I will be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Emma's dentist appointment pictures! 

As excited as I am about going to Haiti, I am leaving behind my awesome husband and five great kids. I know that God will take care of them, but wow... I'm going to miss them like crazy! I wish Roger was able to go on this trip with me, but God just did not give us peace about that happening.

Today (Tuesday) I spent the day taking Emma to the pediatric dentist which is about 1.5 hours away. We left our house at 5:30 am, but we made it to the dentist on time! She has been very nervous about this dentist appointment, and she has prayed about it every day for the last month. The dentist gave her a little sedative to relax her, and then they took X-rays and filled a cavity. She did very well, but her mouth was numb on one side after the appointment. By the time I had driven ten miles down the
road, we had to stop. She had kept biting her tongue and cheek, and we had blood everywhere. Emma was very distraught about that, but we fixed it. She hasn't been herself all day, and I miss my active, happy girl. She was upset at bedtime because she couldn't suck her thumb because her tongue is swollen. I am praying that a good nights rest will help us all feel better.

Tonight (Tuesday) Roger and I went to the deacons meeting at church. We are interested in becoming members of the local church here in Maine. One of their requirements for membership is coming to a deacons meeting and sharing your salvation testimony. I actually really enjoyed the opportunity to share my salvation testimony as it is such a reminder of all that Christ has done for me. Emma came with Roger and I as she has been clingy all day. Roger and I are looking forward to joining the church  and becoming involved in people's lives.

Emma, myself and my mom went to visit an older lady on Thursday morning. She's been a pastor's wife for years, but doesn't get out too often these days. She has seemed to really enjoy having our children visit, so I try to make a visit there every other week or so. This sweet older lady took the time to pick out small gifts for each of our children. Her thoughtfulness and generosity were a reminder to me of how much God blesses us. He brought this sweet grandma into our lives in the first week we moved here last June. For whatever reason, He knew that I needed her friendship, and she needed some children to love on.

Okay, it's now Friday morning and I need to wrap this post up! I've been working on it since Tuesday!
A few updates and then I will be done! Emma has had a rough few days which is code for "So has mama!" . She chewed up her tongue and cheek so badly when her mouth was numb that she has had a hard time eating or drinking anything. I think we are through the worst of it now, and hopefully we can all get a good nights sleep tonight!

Roger and I are getting away for a "mini date" next week! Someone at Roger's work heard that we were trying to get away for a few days by ourselves, and that our budget was very small for this adventure. He offered us their family cabin up in the woods of Maine! We are leaving on Monday when  Roger gets home from work. We will return on Wednesday morning. We have not been away by ourselves since last June when I came out to sign papers on the house. I am very excited about hiking in the woods, trying out cross country skiing, uninterrupted conversations, and memories to build a stronger marriage. We don't leave our kids very often, and since my mom is willing to take over for a few days, we want to enjoy this time together. I know of some married couples that don't ever want to leave there kids, and that is fine if that's your conviction. However, I know for Roger and I that our marrriage grows stronger, our parenting corrections are more aligned, and our desire for Christian growth is flamed when we take a day here or there for ourselves. It might sound selfish, but as I've been told before, "Yes, you only have your kids at home for a few short years. But remberer that when these years are past, you will still have the man you married. You better make sure to keep the flame alive!" 😀

It's time for me to say goodbye for now and get ready for the day! Happy Friday! May we use today for His honor and glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment