Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Another day in Haiti...Day Number 5

Friday, January 27, 2017
Day #5

I took the following paragraph from an article my sister wrote a while back about her missions trip to Haiti several years ago. I thought it was fitting for what I am working to describe.

*Some people may tentatively step out on the water and others are prone to jumping in with both feet, but if I want to experience first hand the miraculous power of God, I have to get out of the boat. No hanging on with a hand, a finger, or toe.  I don't want to be stuck in the boat watching what God's power can do, I want to be wrapped up and consumed in the miraculous power of Christ and the Cross. So I'm abandoning ship!

I am exhausted from the day's events, but I am filled with excitement as I reflect back upon the day. I am also delighted that I have a bunk bed to sleep in. The mattress might not be fabulous, but it is a mattress!

Today was our medical clinic in Baie d'Oranges. We were supposed to leave about 7:00am., but the truck was getting re-welded. My dad said he didn't know how that dump truck made it back yesterday without the sides falling off other than the fact that God's hand was upon us! The welder man is from
somewhere....I'm not sure where, but his certificate of welding is probably not from the U.S.! He only wore sunglasses to protect his eyes, and his two helpers didn't have any eye protection! However, they certainly didn't seem too worried about it, and the truck is better than it was yesterday. The welding job was not quite finished by nine o'clock, but Grandpa told the man that he would have to finish it later as we needed to get going!

We loaded up our medicine, our backpacks, and water for the day. We traveled for about an hour to the church/school. This is a big school as they have several buildings for all the students that attend. Attending school in Haiti is a big deal, as it is a privilege and not a right. The parents must pay for their children to attend school, and even though the cost may not seem much to us, it's a sacrifice for the parents to allow their children to attend school. We arrived around ten, and we scurried to get the clinic set up. Today we have a bit more space, so that will help with the smoothness of seeing the patients. Many people were already waiting for us to come, and they were listening to the Gospel message as we set up the clinic for the day,

It was a long day with over 235 patients seen today. We are out of adult vitamins, running low on children's vitamins, but we are praising the Lord that He provided worm medicine for today! One of the local pastors, Pastor Amos, was able to obtain some more worm medicine for today. The pills are rather large, but most of the kids are able to swallow or chew them up. But for the little ones, we have been making a "worm cocktail" 😀. It's just a fun way of saying that we smash the pill, add a little water to it as well as some type of water flavoring. Then the child either drinks it or we use a syringe to give it to them. Most kids do amazingly well about taking the medicine, as they open and chew when mama says to do it.

Our most serious patients today were a woman with some type of skin condition. Hannah says that she has seen her at this clinic before but her condition is getting worse. The tips of her fingers are basically gone, and her facial skin is very tight and gaunt. She told Hannah that her situation is getting worse, and she doesn't have anyone to take care of her. It breaks my heart to hear of her plight, but we have so little that we can do. However, we can tell her the plan of salvation, assure her   that she can have a home in heaven, and give her pain medicine to keep the pain at bay. I took some
pictures, but I won't post them publicly as it may upset some people. We also so an older lady with
scary high blood pressure, lots of people with worms, and many urinary tract infections.

We divided into two teams for lunch again today. Like yesterday we have so many people to see that we don't feel like we should all go to lunch at one time. Lunch is the biggest meal in Haiti, but lately we've been too busy to enjoy it. It's usually a fine meal of rice and beans, fried plantains or potatoes, and some type of meat. We are usually hungry by the time we return to the mission house in the evenings, but Haitians don't generally eat much of a supper meal. I'm thankful for friends who brought cans of chicken, packets of mayo, and crackers! We usually just bring out whatever we have for supper, and everyone kinda just picks out something to eat. It's another reminder of how spoiled I am back home.

I haven't had a chance to do my children's Bible lesson, but maybe that's opportunity will still present itself. We will see. We've just been so busy with the clinics, that it would be really hard for one of us to get away...and I need a translator!

The construction team has been working hard just as we have been. The preparation for the pouring of cement is coming together. My dad and Mr. Lenny have been sleeping outside on mats in the back of the dump truck. Cory also sleeps outside in a hammock strung between two pillars. Everyone is tired, but the spirit of peace and unity is at work in our lives.

Emelie and I rode back from the clinic today with Gilly, one of our translators. The motorcycle was not a very big one, and it's a lot of uphill  climbing back to Seguin! We did have to get off and walk at one point in time, but Gilly says we aren't too fat! 😀We are  bigger than the Haitians however! Oh well, it's something to laugh about as I remember my first motorcycle ride in Haiti. We arrived back at the mission house about forty minutes before the others arrived back on the dump truck.

I'm missing my kiddos and my family today. I do enjoy interacting with these kids here even if it's only to offer a piece of candy or a smile and a wave. They keep trying to talk to me, but about all I can say is " good day". But I know more than I did on Monday when I arrived! It's been so amazing  to see the hand of God at work, and it is my privilege to be a part of this missions team.

I'm also including a link to the missions organization I went with this year. This is the ministry that will pay for any additional care those in our clinics might need. Like when we offered to take the boy and the grandma from Chota down the mountain on Saturday. Parakaleo will pay for the medical expenses, but obviously they are in need of volunteers and donations as well.

http://www.parakaleointernational.com/

 
     
One  of the big bags of medicine 


Emelie...the pharmacist 

 

Hannah and I with one of our translators, Gilly 

  
Love these kids! 


       Clifford could speak barely any English, but he was great about seeing things to do and helping out! 



                                 Grandpa is translating for one of our nurses, Samantha
 
This man takes care of Hannah's sheep. She was given a sheep for her birthday but obviously it can't come to the states. This man takes care of it and gives her updates every year when she comes to Haiti

Handing out treats and worm medicine 

The hammock and the dump truck...both provided places to sleep 

The ladies are making coffee 

Part of the construction team...Hannah's husband, Josh, and his dad, Joe. 









No comments:

Post a Comment