Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Life Lessons

It's hard to believe that we are in the last week in March! As I look back at the memories and moments from the month a few stand out in my mind. It was a month that was full of delights as well as a few disappointments in my mind. I know that God has a plan and a purpose for everything He allows, and it's another reminder to me to put my whole trust in Him.

Roger's birthday was last Wednesday, and while it wasn't a day full of excitement as far as birthdays go, it was a day I am very thankful for. The last two birthdays we have been separated from Roger on his special day. A year ago Roger was already in Maine, and I was trying to finish up the school year in Wisconsin while we waited for God's direction on housing. Two years ago in 2015, Roger was in Arizona working for American Aviation while I packed up our house in Wisconsin and finished up the school year. So it was an exciting birthday in the sense that we are all together! The boys insisted that Roger have a birthday cake, and Chandler talked Roger into having an ice cream cake as that is what Chandler prefers. (Although I'm pretty sure that is what Roger prefers as well, so it didn't take much convincing on Chandler's part!) 😄 I had managed to snag a Cabela's gift card on a discount, so the kids were delighted to give that to Roger for his birthday.

Also this past week we had sixteen ladies again for the Bible study on Friday morning. I made chocolate chip cookies and some blueberry muffins for the Bible study. Roger is always happy when there's leftovers as I bring the treats out to the airport for the pilots after the Bible study. We will have our fourth week of Bible study this Friday, and it's been so wonderfully refreshing to see these ladies come out every week to study God's Word.

Due to the weather situation on Saturday, Roger had an unexpected day off. Since he has worked every Saturday this month, it was a special treat to have Roger around for the day. We went to pick up his car (remember the one that hit a deer in early November?). The car was finally ready to be picked up, so we went to do that before the mechanic changed his mind and something else was wrong with it! After we did that, I went grocery shopping for the week, while Chandler and Roger went to the car dealership. We received one of those scratch off tickets from the Ford dealer in the mail. According to the scratch number we won $250.00. I figured there was some type of catch, but Chandler was very anxious to go see if it was right! Roger agreed to take him to the dealership. Sure enough, the tiny print in the address box was the "real" number and we "won" a $5.00 gift card to Walmart! It was a good lesson in why we don't play the lottery or gamble. It was also a good lesson in how slick some car dealers can be and how we need to be aware and careful. After that escapade, we decided to take a trip down to Portland. There is a Cabelas down there in that area. We knew that if we didn't go today then it would be awhile before Roger would have the opportunity to go with the boys. I have to admit that Cabelas is not the place that I would pick to spend an afternoon, but our boys were so excited about going. It was a good afternoon spent as a family, and for that I am thankful.

Hannah and Josh were out of town this week, so we got to watch their dog, "Mayday". The boys and Emma throughly enjoyed having her around for the week, but the dog is probably ready for some peace and quiet! Mayday was quick to understand that Emma is the most likely candidate to drop food or give her a treat, and she also understood that Travis showing up with the leash is a bad idea! The funniest moment was when Travis was giving the dog commands and Emma was mimicking right beside the dog! Travis said "sit" and they both sat. Travis said "Come" and they both came. Travis said "roll over" and they both rolled over. Then Travis decided to give them both a treat...and the same treat! But it was a dog treat!! Emma looked at it suspiciously and asked, "Is this a dog treat?" to which Travis replied, "Well, you need to be thankful, Emma!" I must admit it made folding clothes a lot more interesting as I was listening to them! 😀

Hot lunch was served today at school. I headed up a team of moms and we worked together to make  and prepare tacos, fresh fruit, and dessert for the students and staff at the school. I enjoy helping out in this capacity, but it also a day that leaves me a bit more tired than normal.

Roger came home from work tonight and told me about a snow storm that is brewing for Saturday. I told him that was not a very funny April Fools joke! He replied that the forecast is for 5-7 inches of snow! However Chandler thought Roger said 57 inches of snow! Oh dear! I'm not excited about 5-7 inches of snow, an early I can't imagine 57 inches!

One of my struggles from this week has to do with disappointments. We checked out a local music   school to see about possibly having the boys take some piano lessons. I would had thought about trying to take lessons again as well. We enjoyed our tour of the school, and the staff seemed very competent and friendly. They said that they would  get back to us about discount pricing for five lessons and times that could work. We heard back from them later this week, and that is not going to be an option. It's not the fault  of the music school, but the total for the lessons would be $98.00 a week. Don't get me wrong, that's probably a decent price for the lessons that we would be receiving, however that is just not even a remote possibility right now.

We also have a very large personal "storm" brewing that is causing me a great deal of concern. I'm not at liberty to discuss details yet, and we are  waitingto see if God will allow the "storm" to blow over. If God brings us to mind, we would appreciate your prayers. I  don't want you to walk away  thinking that I complain a lot or that I'm whining about our situation. Neither  of those is the case here. However, I DO want to look back one day and remember how God did show himself strong and how He provided clear direction, and how He worked out everything clearly and perfectly in His timing.

Happy Birthday to Roger 


2 comments: