Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, May 22, 2017

Fiddleheads and Birthdays!

Fiddleheads! A new culinary experience for us, but they were delicious! 
We tasted "fiddleheads" for the first time this week. They are a bit like asparagus and broccoli. We found a few in our yard, but not enough to feed our family. We purchased some from a farm market near us, and everyone gave them a try. Wyatt and Chandler thought they were "okay", but the other three gobbled them right up! Travis says, "They taste like chicken!" Um...no, they do not! 😀 It was another "Maine" experience, and one that was fun to try! Now that we know what to look for in our yard, I will be more earnest about searching for them next year. They have a very short growing season, and you have to eat them before they grow into an actual fern. 

Life...it's busy, it's messy, and it's not always fun! However, I know that I am right where God wants me to be. We've been experiencing full days with school, days of sunshine and warmth, and working around whatever hours Roger is home with us.
 
  
Memories!




  A little over a week ago was Mother's Day, and Roger did a good job of helping the boys "treat" mom. Travis and Wyatt woke up early on Sunday morning as in around 5:45am., so they went with Roger to pick out flowers and get coffee for mom. Since we've not been together as a complete family for the last two Mother's Days, it was an especially special day for me! 😀 Our church had a missionary speaker on Mother's Day, and since our pastor and family were out of town, we hosted them for the afternoon. We also had Nick and Hannah over as Nick led the singing for church services that morning. It was a full afternoon with ten kids, six adults, and a downpour of rain outside! All things considered it was a good time of fellowship, and I enjoyed getting to know both Hannah and the missionary's wife better. Roger still agreed to cook out on the grill, so he grilled  hamburgers and hotdogs in the rain! 😀

I attended Bible study on Tuesday, and celebrated my 34th birthday on Wednesday! 😀 A friend brought me a small cake when she dropped off her kids at school. It's nice to be remembered...and my kids were thrilled about cake!! The weather was beautiful on Wednesday, and I enjoyed a long walk with a dear friend. We were able to get practically the whole morning together (along with Emma) and it was a good time to share burdens and pray together. After picking up Travis from school, we picked up lunch and went to have a picnic at Rogers work. I'm thankful that Rogers boss does not mind if we drop by to see Roger and visit together. We are learning to squeeze in time wherever we  can! After school, I treated the kids to ice cream...and I had iced coffee. Since I knew that Roger would be home later, I didn't bother with a cake for myself, and the kids were fine with ice cream. I have a lot to be thankful for just in the simple fact that we are together as a family again. It was a good day! My friend, Beka, from Wisconsin, sent me a very appropriate coffee mug. It's in the picture below! It's a good reminder to pray for many of my mom friends!
  
  Birthday Blessings! 


On Thursday on dropped Emma off at school and went to pick up stuff to make lasagna. We are  having a grandparents luncheon at school on Friday, and some of the moms are making lasagna. I'm thankful that the kids were able to ask two older sets of grandparents in the church to be their surrogate grandparents. I also realized that we were going to have a lot of people to feed for this luncheon! I had originally signed up to bring only two lasagnas, but after talking with a few other friends that were helping with the lasagna, we realized that we would need more pans of lasagna. So back I went to the store to get more ingredients! I picked up Travis and Emma from school, and we went to visit some older people that we know. Travis was not particularly excited about visiting these folks, but I tried to remind him that this is one way we can serve Jesus. We need to have our eyes open to those who might be discouraged or lonely, and the kids can do a much better job of cheering  people up than I can alone! We only stayed for a short visit anyways, as I went back to the school to help set up for the grandparents luncheon. While I know the grandparents are going to enjoy this event tomorrow, this event is a lot of work!! However, many hands make light work, and we were able to get almost everything set up before school was over. I picked up kids, and went home to  make...yes, you guessed it-lasagna!! 😜 I ended up making five pans of lasagna, and since I was already making a huge mess in my kitchen, I fed that to my family for supper! I made two pans of veggie lasagna and two pans of meat lasagna for the school event. I've actually never made this kind of veggie lasagna, but I guess we will see how it turns out! I usually make my veggie lasagna with meat but without noodles. I discovered on Tuesday that I was supposed to use noodles  but not meat! Wow! I guess it's  a good thing I discovered what I needed to make before I showed up with the wrong kind of lasagna! However, it looks delicious so hopefully my Pinterest recipe came through with flying colors! 😜

Friday...exhausting, overwhelming and delighted it's over! That is how I would describe the day! Emma was tuckered out by lunchtime, and she ended up not sitting with her brothers and adopted grandparents. I had to miss our ladies Bible study, as I wanted to help in the kitchen to bake all those pans of lasagna! We had 15 lasagna pans that either needed to be heated or cooked. It's was an enjoyable experience spent with other moms though as we all came together to work on this event. I was mostly in charge of lasagna, and getting it all heated or cooked. By the time 11:30 came around, we were ready. The lasagna was dished and plated, and since no one complained of cold lasagna, I'm assuming it was okay! I guess the veggie lasagna turned out as it was eaten, and I had a piece of it as well. It was a good recipe, and I actually will probably make it again! 😀 Out of the fifteen large pans of lasagna, we only had about a pan and one-half left, so I'm thankful that I made two extras, as well as the other moms that made an extra one. It was a long, tiring day, but the grandparents seemed so delighted with the whole event. Following the luncheon, the school kids did a special chapel time with songs and verses. I can see why the grandparents loved it, and I can rejoice that it only happens once a year!

Saturday was a day at home for most of the day. Later in the afternoon, the kids had the opportunity to attend a birthday party of one of their school mates. He had his birthday party on his dad's.  lobster boat, and then we went out to one of the islands for a scavenger hunt and cake. The kids had a great time, as it is always fun to visit an island! The ticks were even on the island, and it's appearing that  they will be quite bad this year! Oh well, I'm certainly not keeping my kids inside! The boys all have short hairCuts, and we check daily for ticks. The weather was beautiful for a Picnic on the island, and I'm glad the kids had a good afternoon. They are adjusting and making friends, and it's sure to be quite a different summer for us this year versus last year!

 On the lobster boat 


 Sunday came around before we could blink again, and it was another beautiful day! The trees have really "popped" open with their leaves, and the grass is quickly growing again! (Roger was able to fix that mower that we were given! He spent a long morning on it, but the blade is replace, and it's working!) I'm so thankful that we have a local church body to worship the Lord together with and the opportunity to grow in the Lord. We had company for lunch today (third Sunday in a row...it's just the way it's worked out) Today we  had one of my college professors and her husband over for lunch. I just recently realized that Mr. and Mrs. Seely lived in the area, so I connected with them via Facebook. We invited them to lunch, and we had a great visit! It was so good to catch up with them, and to have "family from Northland" come and visit. We have plans to stay in touch with them, and I'm looking forward to the next time we get together!

Whew! That concludes another week for us, and it was a busy one. We are wrapping up the school year, but we are not done yet! We are encouraging the boys to "finish strong".  I'm reminding myself to "finish strong " also! I'm kinda tired of getting together lunches, making sure they have on  appropriate school clothes, and driving everyday! I can tell we are getting close  to the end of the year, as we are struggling to find pants that are not completely ripped through in the knees!  Just a bit longer!

Please continue to pray for Travis. He has been asking more questions about salvation, and we had a good discussion in the car the other morning on the way to school. These kids can certainly make me think as they've been asking questions about eschatology and heaven and hell. We were discussing heaven and how wonderful it would be, and Travis remarked that he hopes that Jesus " put some sand and mud in heaven". His older brother replied, "well, you don't even need to worry about what's up there, because you aren't going there!" I promptly told my second oldest son that though that is currently true,  he didn't need to say it quite like that! It wasn't his intent to be mean, but Chandler sees things as very black and white. So, we would appreciate your continued prayers for Travis' salvation and that the gift of salvation would be made clear to him.

Our love,
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment