Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Summer Vacation?! Or Not Yet?

Today marks the ending of our first week of summer break! It’s hard to believe that last week we were finishing up the school year, as this week went by so quickly. We’ve been busy as a family working on decorating, setting up, and preparing for Vacation Bible School next week. Roger has been busy working, and when he’s not doing that he’s been painting a backdrop or cutting out a cardboard moose! Somehow the details always come together, but we definitely want to do our part to be prepared.

Last week was full of field trips and fun times for the kids-they greatly enjoy the last week of school. I went with Garett and Chandler’s class on a Puffin/Nature cruise tour. It was a bit dreary and chilly on Thursday to be out in a boat, but the class had a good time. We did see a few puffins, some porpoises, quite a few seals, and a few bald eagles. Although on the chilly side (did I mention that already?!), the kids enjoyed the tour, and I was thankful for the opportunity to go along. Friday marked the last day of school as well as our field day. We are dependent upon parents help to make field day happen for the kids, and it seemed like we were going to be short on volunteers. However, God brought the right people along to help coordinate a  half-day of outdoor fun and a picnic lunch for the children at the school. There’s something a bit bittersweet about wrapping up another school year. It marked the completion of another school year, and also the fact that our children have become older. While happy to finish up the school work, our friends will be missed over the summer break. We’ve come to love and appreciate the teachers and staff at the school, and I’m thankful for all that they invest in our children. The close of another year means that change will happen again in the fall, but I’m rejoicing in all that God did during the school year.

 

   


Roger had the day off last Saturday, so we spent the day on outside work, grocery shopping, and  preparing for Sunday. I had been asked to play the piano at a different church on Sunday morning. I was more than willing, but was a bit nervous that I wouldn’t do a good job. Every church is different in how songs are sung and led, but I was willing to do my best and prayed that God would get the  glory. I was happy to find out that I already knew the songs that were to be sung on Sunday, but I knew that out of the five songs, one song might be a stickler. The songs were “There is a Redeemer”, “Great is thy Faithfulness”, “I will Sing of The Mercies of the Lord”, “Blessed Assurance”, and “Amazing Grace”. Any guesses as to which song I was a bit nervous about playing? “Blessed Assurance”! I feel like the timing on this one can be a bit tricky for people and some churches sing it worshipfully and contemplative, while others sing it confidently and enthusiastically that they have a Blessed Assurance in Jesus! During the practice time, a few of the people that were helping to lead the song for the congregation said that I was playing it too slowly (very rarely do I get told I play too slowly!), so I sped it up to their speed. However, when we went to sing it for church, I was playing at one speed, and the song leader was singing at a different pace! Quickly made some adjustments, but I looked over at Roger to see him smiling in the pew. We had just had a discussion that morning on this song! Oh well, I’m rejoicing in the fact that I have a Blessed Assurance, and no one seemed to mind a few errors! It was a good  church service and we enjoyed visiting another local church in the area. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to praise the Lord through music. God encouraged my heart through this opportunity, and I’m thankful that He gave me the opportunity to worship Him in this way.

Sunday was also Father’s Day, so we were also thankful to spend the day with Roger. I am truly blessed to have him as the Father to our children. He enjoys spending time with them, and even after a fourteen hour day at work, he will still come home to play sports with the boys in the backyard. He tries to help them with their interests, and he works to give them practical applications that point them to Jesus. He invests in their lives on a daily basis for eternity, and I am so thankful for him. And also on Sunday, I was handed some money for next years Hait Missions Trip!! It was quite a bit for  the trip as in two -thirds of the amount needed!Roger and I have been praying that God would make it abundantly clear about whether or not I should return to Haiti! It would appear that God is making the path clear! I am so very excited and thankful!

On Monday morning, I went to the church building to start preparing the spaces for VBS. The boys weren’t exactly excited about coming with me, but Emma was thrilled because she thought she was going to school! Travis asked her, “Why would you want to do that?!” He’s so thankful to be done with the school year, and told Roger that he hopes the summer never ends! Oh, I do love that sweet little boy,  but School is a fact of life, I’m afraid! Allison was at church working in the church office.  I stayed busy organizing and moving chairs and tables downstairs while the boys and Emma played outside. Allison and I had planned to go to the lake that afternoon, but the weather looked a bit dreary in the morning. We decided to go on Tuesday afternoon to which the children were disappointed about, but that’s life. Allison and I worked on organizing a closet, which doesn’t seem to have anything to do with VBS! However, it was a job that needed doing, and after a few hours, everything  was in its place again...for the moment at least! By then it was lunchtime, and the kids were hungry as usual! We headed out to the airport with some lunch for Roger, and spent some time visiting with him. We were all thankful to get home in the afternoon and the weather actually turned out to be quite nice.

Tuesday afternoon we went to the lake. Allison had invited us to come to their cottage on the lake, so we packed some lunch and headed off to the lake around eleven. While the day was sunny, it was very windy at the lake. It definitely didn’t feel like summer temps to me,  but that didn’t stop the boys from getting in the lake! Emma decided that she would much rather ride her bike around or play with the toys, but she had no interest in getting in the water! Annah also came to the lake with her kids, so the boys were delighted to have Josiah and Caleb to play with in the water, with the kayaks, and the fishing poles! Chandler did catch a small fish, so he was excited about that!

Also on Tuesday we discovered that someone had been using Rogers bank card to make charges! Roger had called me on the way home to say that he was going to stop and get some items he needed to paint the backdrop for VBS. I checked our online banking and was horrified to discover that someone had been using our money at Walmart in California! That meant two calls to cancel the bank cards, and some time spent with the bank on Wednesday! However, it’s all resolved now and moving forward.

Wednesday was a busy day with prepping for VBS, setting up, and just the mental intensity of hoping that everything is being covered. We didn’t get it all done on Wednesday, so we would have to try to finish up on Thursday. Thankfully, Annah offered to watch the kids for a few hours on Thursday so they wouldn’t have to be at the church again. It’s been a bit of a long and not very relaxing first week of summer break,  but I think the light is at the end of the tunnel. I mean, I hope it’s not an oncoming train! Allison has been coordinating pre registration for VBS and we already have over forty kids signed up. We also have a group of teens coming from Canada to help us next week. I’m exited about what God is going to do. And I would definitely appreciate your prayers for VBS.

Our family had lunch for free two days this week, so that made my day! On Friday it was customer appreciation day at the bank, and lunch was offered! Hooray! The kids had a little money to deposit in their bank accounts, and it was sub lunch, chips, and cookies for free! On Saturday, my friend Allison, asked if we were going to the Young Eagles event at the airport. It’s where kids can get a ride in an airplane and experience aviation. I wasn’t too eager about going, but when she mentioned that there would be free lunch, I perked right up! We were already out and about anyways with going to a few yard sales, and we had stopped st the airport when Allison sent me the text. Garett, Chandler and Wyatt all took airplane rides. Garett was the most excited,  of course; Wyatt’s pilot said that Wyatt was really quiet;  and Chandler said the the girl in his plane wouldn’t stop talking so he just took off his headset. Oh, the adventures with these boys are so fun! The boys and Emma went to Josiah and Caleb’s house after the aviation adventures. Their friends had also come to the aviation event, and the boys were delighted to spend some time at their house while I did a few last minute projects and errrands for VBS. I feel like I am mostly prepared now, just have a few ideas to put the finishing touches on. It’s been quite a few years since we’ve been this involved with VBS, and my hearts desire is that God will be glorified, the Gospel will be presented, and that seeds will be sown. God is so good, and I’m excited to see what He is going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment