Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Haiti Journal Day #6 (Down the Mountain)

January 24, Thursday

A day to come down the mountain! We didn’t have a medical clinic today, which was probably for the best as some of our med supply is running low. We’ve seen well over 1000 people in the clinics in the past three days-God is good!

It was actually a bit of a restful morning as we didn’t have to race to get ready for a clinic. The Haitian boys woke up around 5am and started talking loudly. Even though they are down the hall, and our door is shut, we could still hear them! Apparently it’s never to early to speak loudly to someone or to bring out a battery-operated boombox! Its a different culture here and there is no shame in speaking loudly when everyone else is clearly sleeping. 

We were all up fairly early , and our cook made us a big meal of cabbage, goat, potatoes and some type of dumpling. My stomach hasn’t been feeling all that great, and I couldn’t bring myself to eat breakfast. I think I hurt our cooks feelings though, and I certainly didn’t mean to do that! I guess if I was the cook in a land full of starving people, I would want these white Americans to eat and be happy too! 

After breakfast we started packing up and cleaning to head down the mountain. I helped Hannah for a while with the counting and resorting of medical supplies until Hannah was called away to look at a boys arm. Yesterday Hannah had seen a bod that had fallen out of a tree and fractured his wrist. Hannah told the mom that she should bring the boy to the mission house so that Hannah could wrap his arm. Hannah and Kacie worked on that while the rest of us pretty much watched. Hannah is very creative at coming up with alternative solutions for medical problems.










Later in the morning, Moriah and I cleaned the bathrooms in the mission house. That is no small feat in a land that doesn’t have much for cleaning supplies and hot water! The boys bathroom was positively disgusting, and Moriah says that she is pretty sure that she earned an extra crown in Heaven over that job! The Garett and Josiah tell us that someone peed in the shower since someone was using the toilet! I don’t think the bathrooms are extremely clean, but they are way cleaner than before!

We started down the mountain after a lunch of white rice and sauce. We were all pretty excited about white rice! We got on the road at about 1:30pm. Af first it seemed like it would be a fairly comfortable ride down the mountain, but then we picked up two Haitian ladies and a toddler headed to the hospital. So we ended up with 17 people on the back of the dump truck and all the luggage. The bungee cords that had been in Garetts bag came in handy to help secure the luggage. Grandpa had the idea to use the laundry clothesline to help secure the sides of the dump truck. I’m not sure how secure we were, but God kept us safe. I’m pretty sure that most of us have quite a few bruises from banging against the sides of the dump truck. I certainly would not want Pastor Kevins job of trying to safely get the truck down the mountains-how stressful! 

We arrived down the mountain about 4:30pm, and we were all very thankful to get off of the truck! Garett, Josiah and Grandpa are sharing a room, and the seven of us girls are in a room. We had the option to get another hotel room, but hey, we can save money this way. I certainly don’t mind. The hotel that we stay at when we come off the mountain is clean, and its very warm. The air conditioner is not working in our room, so it is very, very warm! The hotel has a pool, but it is currently dirty and doesn’t have water in it. Garett and Josiah are working on getting it filled up. 

We did go get pizza tonight at the pizzeria in Jocmel. It was a very tasty dinner, but wow, does my stomach hurt! I’m not sure why, but it does!

Tomorrow will be a bit of a rest and repack day, as we prepare to head home on Saturday. Its been a good trip, but I’m ready to see the rest of my family. Garett has been a really, really good trooper. He never complained coming down the mouantin, and he’s found things to do. And he’s kept smiling! 

I’m thankful for the safety coming down the mountain today. I’m thankful for tiredness and the rest that the LORD gives. I’m thankful for a bed to sleep in and clothes to wear. I am so blessed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment