Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, December 12, 2020

Hustle & Bustle and Quietness!

 




                                                             Beautiful Snow! 


                                                        Asleep by the Christmas tree! 


As the flurry of activities and festivities swirl around us, I’m thankful for quiet reflective moments in God’s Word each morning. I’ve been reading through Paul Tripp’s advent devotional again this year, and I am enjoying my time. We are also reading through the book of Luke as a family, and I treasure those moments with our children.  (I cling to the fact that God’s Word will not return void as twice this week Travis and Emma have fallen asleep while we’ve been reading!) 


I’m also thankful for family moments...getting a Christmas tree, making cookies, Christmas shopping together (which mostly consists of mom giving out ideas to each child about the person they are shopping for!). A few years ago, we decided that each of us would draw names for someone in our family. Roger and I set the limit on how much to spend,  but this way it involves our children, and it doesn’t feel like Roger and I are doing all the gift shopping. Garett and Chandler both have enough money saved that they buy their own gifts for the person who’s named they’ve drawn, but the younger three still get help from mom and dad. Garett had Emma this year, and he came to talk to me one day about a gift for Emma. He handed me twenty dollars and said, “Mom, I know Emma will want something pink, sparkly and probably messy. I know that you can make this twenty dollars stretch really far in gift giving so will you help me?” It was so sweet. We found Emma a pink tent and a very fuzzy pink jacket that Garett thought was terrible, but he knows Emma will love it! 

Travis picked out Rogers name this year, and he’s come up with all kinds of wild ideas! I love hearing his thoughts on what dad might like...usually, he’s right, but way, way out of the budget! Travis did get a wallet for Roger, and he picked out some heat warmers. Travis didn’t realize that they lost their heat and couldn’t be reused, so at first he was going to wrap a whole stack of ones that he had already opened! Haha! Oh, the memories! 

Last week on Friday, I went to a ladies Christmas party. It felt like such a “normal” Christmas thing to do in a year that has been so “not normal”. It was so fun! Garett and Chandler watched three young boys at our house (they are working on raising money for their Haiti missions trip). Allison, Ashley and I all rode together to the Christmas party. We did a Christmas mug exchange, and all the mugs were so different but fun! (Only two mugs out of 16 were the same ones, which isn’t bad in an area where there are not many places for shopping) Our friend, Robin, hosted the party and we had a wonderful time laughing, fellowshipping, and of course, eating! It was a good time of renewing and strengthening friendships. 


                                                              So very thankful for this friend! 


Last Saturday, our family went Christmas shopping. This consisted of a stop at Mardens (a fun discount store) and a discount grocery store, and dinner at Taco Bell. All of our children like Taco Bell, except Emma. The biggest bummer is having to eat a fun dinner in the car. We don’t get to go out to eat very often, and sitting in the van with seven people eating Taco Bell is it’s own kind of adventure! But the boys said that they had a fun time, and even Garett put up with shopping for an afternoon. I’m pretty sure he feels like he’s done his shopping for the year! 

When we came home from our shopping adventure last Saturday, Roger had a phone call. One of his friends was calling to see if our family was interested in any hunting, fishing, camping supplies. Chandler’s eyes swelled up really big, and said “Yes!”. So Roger took Travis and Chandler to go look at some stuff that was free if the boys wanted it. Oh my! Our boys were so excited! I don’t know why I’m amazed sometimes, but God cares about the smallest details in our lives! We weren’t looking for hunting, camping or fishing stuff, per se, but we sure do have some boys that are interested in that! Gary and his wife were so generous in giving to our family. The boys came home with sleeping bags, camping chairs, deer scent (nasty), a tent, fishing lures, and enough treasures that the boys spent hours and hours in the basement this past week looking over their treasures! It was like a Christmas present for the boys. I did nearly have a meltdown when I went into the basement later in the week and saw the stuff e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e , but we managed to get some type of order to their madness. They were thrilled, and I know they’ll talk about “that time when Mr. and Mrs. Peabody gave us all that fishing and  hunting stuff”.   God is in the little things also! 

                                                   The boys are excited and eager to try out this ice fishing equipment! 



It’s been a hard year for most of us, and our family is certainly no exception. I found myself feeling the same kind of depression that I felt back in March. Between the Presidential election, our state governor, and several other disappointments, it’s been quite the week. But one of my dear friends reminded me, “We have Emmanuel! God with us!” Yes, I’m discouraged, disappointed that our country seems to be surrendering to evil, overwhelmed  with concerns for America and our children, but...God is still with us! I can find peace in that. And I will continue to pray, fight against evil, call our senators, and beg God to show Himself strong and mighty! 


We are in our last week before Christmas break! We’ve stayed in school thus far, which is due largely to the fact that so many of you are praying for God’s protection on us. Please, pray that our school will be able to continue with in-person learning, that God will continue to protect us, and that we will be a witness for His honor and glory to those around us. God is faithful. 

We head into a week of busyness with classroom activities, fun events at school, and preparing for our own Christmas. Our church is planning a living nativity for December 22, and we need some animals. Will you please pray that God will help us find someone who can bring some animals? Please also pray for our nation, our states, our church and pastors, families, and the elderly who are especially lonely this year. Also, will you please pray that we can get Chandler’s passport for his missions trip to Haiti? I know that I’ve been convicted to write more cards as of late, as there are so many people who need encouragement. God brought along several people to encourage me this past week. I pray that I can also encourage someone this week. 






No comments:

Post a Comment