Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Summer- Lakes, Beaches, New Jobs, and a Circus!

 

                                                              Circus Memories!






                                                            Lake Days! 



                                                                          Summer Chats! 

Wyatt counted up the days until school resumes, and we all feel like summer is flying by too quickly! We’ve had a lot of rainy days the last week or so, and that makes for a few long days. We are all hoping for some more hot summer days soon! 

Last week we did a park morning with some friends, a beach morning with a few other friends, cleaned and worked on projects at home and at school, went to a circus, I spent an afternoon with my sister, went to the lake with some friends, and we tried to soak up as much of our summer break as we could. As a teacher, I’m feeling the itch to get back into my classroom to prepare for another school year. However, the flooring is being replaced in my classroom so I must wait! I’m hoping that the flooring people will be able to come earlier than they anticipate, but we will see. 

I’ve been busy taking continuing education courses and reading, reading, reading! I’ve taken a few courses through Bob Jones University, and I’ve enjoyed the reminders of why Christian Education is important. I think that sometimes Christian schools are looked upon as glorified Sunday Schools, and that is definitely not what we are endeavoring to be! My goal is to provide my students with a quality Christian education as well as a positive environment. I want my students to know that they are loved both by their teacher and their Heavenly Father. Eternity is forever, and what a privilege I have as a Christian school educator to share my faith, love my students, and point them to Jesus. So many children are hurting in our communities and that is both children from Christian and unChristian homes. Our society and culture screams “It’s all about you”, “Do what you want!” “Make yourself your priority”. Hmm….what a contradiction to what God’s Word says, “Be ye holy for I am holy”, “Love thy neighbor as thyself”, “Let each esteem other better than themselves”. Yes, we are trying to swim upstream, and sometimes it feels like an insurmountable battle. However, I rest in the promises that God’s Word will not return void, and that He promises to be faithful! 

Speaking of God’s faithfulness, we are in a position in our Christian school where we are walking by faith! Our school has grown to the spot where we are needing to make individual classes instead of combining grades. It’s a great problem to have, but its also a bit unnerving as we have a need for many teachers. There’s probably not a spot in our nation where there are enough willing workers! However, we are asking God to provide us with top notch quality educators as we move into another school year. We’ve been fervent in prayer and ask that you pray with us. 

Garett has his first official real job! I can’t believe that he is old enough, but here we are! Garett has the opportunity to work for some friends of Rogers that have a car rental business. Garett has been hired to wash, vacuum and clean cars. He started his job on Saturday, and its for just a few hours. I picked him up on Saturday afternoon and Garett’s first words to me were, “Hey Mom, they have an awesome vacuum cleaner for pet hair!” Haha! Out of all the information that I was hoping he would share, I didn’t expect it to be about a vacuum cleaner! I asked Garett if he liked the job, was a hard worker, etc. I received a lot of very informational responses such as “yes”, “good”, etc. Oh well! I’m happy for Garett, and he’s happy to have his first real job. 

Roger had to work over the weekend, so it was just the kids and I for Saturday and Sunday. We had plans to have some friends over on Friday night, but that didn’t end up working out. That was okay as we did yard work, some projects, and hung around home together. Roger did take Wyatt and Travis to play golf. They did enjoy it, but they definitely aren’t as excited about golfing as Garett and Chandler. But it was an opportunity to spend time with them. On Saturday afternoon, I decided to take the kids to a circus that was in town. I haven’t been to a circus since I was probably about eleven, and I really had no idea what to expect. It was a smaller circus, but the kids really seemed to enjoy it. I did have to tell the boys several times that they were not to attempt what they saw at the circus at home. We will not try a hand stand on seven chairs, you will not attempt to balance on five cylinders, etc. The circus was about one and one-half hours, but we enjoyed it. It was something we’d never done before, and it felt like a very “normal” event. It was nice to see people laughing and sitting together. 

Sunday was a crazy, crazy day. It definitely was not a normal Sunday, but we survived. Wyatt woke up with a cold, so I wanted him to stay home. Garett was asked to work as he is still just starting his new job. I had thought for two seconds about just staying home, but then I got a message asking if I could play the piano for church that morning. I also wanted to stay for the business meeting after church, so I said yes. I left Wyatt and Travis at home, went to church to practice the music, dropped Garett off at his job, came back for Sunday school and church. We were supposed to have a picnic after church, but the weather was rainy. Roger sent me a text asking if I could pick him up in Bangor in the afternoon. So after church and the business meeting, I picked up Garett. I took everyone home, and no one wanted to come with me to Bangor. I changed clothes, and drove up to Bangor to get Roger. We had a quick dinner together and headed home. We had to stop at church as I had told a dear lady in our church that I would bring her car home. (She had driven to church, but then hadn’t felt well about driving home.) We took her car home, picked up Roger’s car from the airport and headed home. Whew! I am very thankful that most Sundays are NOT like that. I treasure the moments to soak in music, Scripture and fellowship with believers, and today felt frazzled! 

In preparation for the school year, the church trustees are asking for volunteers to help paint. Today Travis and Emma had the opportunity to play with their friends, Abel and Lucy, for a bit. Garett, Chandler, Wyatt and I painted and painted and as Wyatt says, “Painted some more!” I am thankful for their help. Our children are not going to wake up some morning and decide to be diligent and hard workers, we MUST teach them. They faithfully painted for several hours, and we made good progress. Chandler asked if we were going to help paint tomorrow to which I replied that I wasn’t sure yet. He responded, “Well, I hate to take up all the blessing of working at the school. I’m happy to let someone else be blessed!” I had to laugh out loud! 

We are treasuring our remaining summer days. I had wanted to go on a little get away as either a couple or a family, but that doesn’t look like its going to happen. I think all the tourists that did not come to Maine last year have arrived in force! Everywhere is expensive and kinda booked. Then there’s the challenge of Roger’s work schedule and the deck seems stacked against us. I know that we can figure out a day trip here or there, but do you ever feel the strong pull to need to unwind from what’s  around you? To take a step back, refocus, refresh, and get rejuvenated? Or is that just me? (Yeah, I could be crazy!) 

But, we continue to trust that God has a purpose and a plan. 



No comments:

Post a Comment