Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, October 30, 2021

But God…

 




I’m daily reminded that God is faithful, and these past weeks have been nothing but God- God surrounding us, upholding us, moving us, changing us, loving us, as we continue to take one day at a time. Actually sometimes, it’s just a moment at a time! A victory that I held in a harsh word, delight from a child’s hug, laughter at the park, a moment to cry, moving forward, and knowing that bedtime is coming! 

The last two weeks have felt like some of the longest in my life, and I don’t consider myself a dramatic person who exaggerates life! Roger has been gone for four weeks this coming Tuesday, and we are on the countdown to seeing him again. While the boys have been so helpful in helping pack and move and load stuff, they still need a lot of direction and admonishment to do the “next right thing” which sometimes means walking away from a brother rather than engaging with him! 

We’ve moved to the apartment, have mostly packed our storage unit, cleaned, worked, and then taken our turns with colds and sickness. Its been a different adventure to live in the “city” so to speak, but I am so thankful that God provided this perfect spot for our family. It’s close enough to walk down to the harbor, stroll to the park, or adventure to go window shopping. Last Sunday afternoon we walked down to the park, and the kids had a good time playing together. It’s a good thing we got out on Sunday as its rained most of this week!

 Tis the season for colds, and it was our turn this week. With a large family, it seems to eventually sweep through all of us. I used to be super careful about my kids not “sharing germs”, but then it didn’t seem like it mattered and everyone got sick anyways! Now I feel like maybe we can just get it over sooner if we just share germs faster! Either way, I think we are on the up-and-up. I took an at-home Covid test on Thursday to make sure that I didn’t have Covid, and it was a relief to have a negative test! Apparently, I’m a tired mom with headaches, but not Covid! Every store in our area is sold out of at-home Covid tests, but I managed to get a few in a Sam’s Club delivery. It’s a special blessing that I got them when I did as the very next day, they were sold out! You can go get tested a certain sites, but there is still a few days wait to get in, and to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of everyone knowing my business-personal opinion there. 

It was a long week of isolation and loneliness- well, I felt lonely. I’m not sure that the kids did as they had each other to argue with! I’ve felt kinda crummy most of the week, so trying to do remote learning on top of that was just really hard. I was not a very fun mom, and depression was hard hitting this week. I cried more than I usually do, I’m sure we haven’t done all that we were supposed to, and I’m sure I let more  slid than I should’ve, but for now, I’m just thankful that it’s Friday! (Now Saturday) Since we are currently living in our apartment, but trying to finish up at our house, that added to the confusion of remote learning. The printer is out our house, but we ran out of white paper. So then we printed it on colored paper, and then ran out of ink! At this point, all parties were done-mom, students, teacher-on-duty, children-done. (Done is code for “frustrated and overwhelmed”) We will do the best we can and leave the rest (not my usual approach to things, but it is what it is!) 

Roger passed his check ride!! We rejoice in this in big way, as it’s another step for Roger in the right direction. We also have the huge praise that Roger was paid for his training! This is a huge answer to prayer for us as we just weren’t sure how God was going to provide for all our needs in October, but He did- as He always does! Roger seems to be enjoying his new job, and we are praying for our housing situation in Michigan. It’s hard to know exactly what direction to be looking in as we don’t have a church family or school that is helping direct that direction. When the kids and I go out in December, we are praying that God will provide a bit clearer of a direction of where He would like us to live. A lot depends on the schooling situation for our children, and that’s a part that is heavy on my heart. Two of our children really struggle with academics, and while they are diligent in their studies, school is hard. The thought of returning to homeschool during the high school years is daunting at best, but God knows the future. I’m thankful that He loves our children even more than I do, and He goes before us. 

Travis had the opportunity to go with some friends to Boston about a week ago. His friend, Abel, invited him to come to a Dude Perfect tour show, and Travis was thrilled! Travis does not show a lot of emotion over anything, but this was one thing that definitely excited him! Abel has been a good friend to Travis during his years at our Christian school, and it was fun to see Travis have such a good time. He came back tired but happy! We are so thankful for Claire and Micah’s generosity in including him on this adventure.  It was a fun adventure for him, and it’s often fun to go to something without a sibling. 

We are having a few snags with our house closing, so we’d appreciate continued prayers for that. We need to install a water filtration system, and the appraisals are taking longer to complete these days. Please pray that we can find the right people to do the jobs, and that we can close our house this month! It’s very wearying trying to manage a lot of pieces right now, and it would be a blessing to wrap up this part. It’s been bittersweet as we moved out last Saturday knowing that we had spent the last night in our home. For five plus years we’ve lived at this house at the end of a dirt road. We’ve hosted family and friends for overnight stays, entertained for youth group events, baby showers, birthday parties, and so many memories around our large dining room table. It’s a melancholy feeling to wrap up the final days and details here. (Final details means dumping random contents in a box these days!) I told Roger that I have no idea what will end up in Michigan, and I’m pretty sure that the bunk bed pieces are in three different boxes! Oh well! We will figure it out as we go! 

Sometimes it’s easy to feel defeated by our circumstances and surroundings, so I wanted to record a few blessings from this week. While there was a LOT of rainy days this week, we did spend a few evenings playing games together as a family. I’m thankful for technology and that the kids can “see” Roger every evening when we have Bible time and pray together. I’m thankful for my friend, Allison, whom endured a gazillion texts from me this week, but encouraged me daily. I’m thankful for coffee (and creamer). I’m thankful for a spouse who loves me and encourages me when I feel like I’m making a royal mess of many things. I’m thankful for grace- God’s grace. I’m thankful that every day is a new day, and that I have children to love (and drive me crazy). I’m thankful that I was able to go back to exercise class this morning! There’s a few things I need to survive these days apart and those include- Jesus, coffee, and exercise! I’m thankful for love and forgiveness, and that regardless of how I “feel”, God’s love in unchanging, constant, and sure! 

Thank you for your continued prayers as we need them. 

     Photo credit: biblword.net




No comments:

Post a Comment