Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Christmas Memories, Lots of Driving, and Time with Family!

 


Wisconsin Memories
Wisconsin memories! (I’ve played pond hockey on this pond more times than I could possibly count!) 






Two days until the start of a new year!? There were moments when I thought that 2021 was never going to end, but through it all God has been faithful and true. I am so thankful that in the moments of despair, discouragement, and fatigue, that God has brought us through. 

In 2021, we saw a job change for Roger, our house selling, lots of school and staffing changes, a move into an apartment for our family, Roger starting his new job in Michigan, and numerous other changes and challenges. Through it all, every morning God provided new mercies and grace for every moment. Oh, how I take heart in that! 

I’m looking forward to a new year -2022. I know that God will continue to show Himself strong and faithful. The first half of the school year has been rough on one of our children in particular, so I would appreciate prayers for a better second half of the school year. I am praying that this child, in particular, would see God do great and mighty things in their life over the remainder of the school year. This child has told me numerous times that they’d like to be homeschooled, they are ‘weary in well-doing’, and is just all around struggling. Roger and I have been daily asking God to provide us with wisdom in how to help this child. I firmly believe that God is using these experiences in this child’s life to shape and mold them into who God has created them to be, but at the same point in time, I am this child’s parent. God has given Roger and I the responsibility of parenting. Sometimes this means removing a child from a situation due to constant frustration and discouragement. Sometimes it means praying often and fervently that God will use this situation in their lives to help them understand that God can and will help them through hard things. All that to say- we need wisdom! 

It was a busy week of break, and I am not ready to go back to school -yet! First we have to drive back across the country and then I’ll think about school again! In the last ten days, we finished up school before Christmas break with the school Christmas program, the church Christmas program, and then the drive to Michigan for Christmas with Roger. School was supposed to not get out until Wednesday, December 22, but we unexpectedly had the week off. So the kids and I left on Monday to head to Michigan. 

God provided great weather and smooth driving conditions for almost the entire trip to Michigan (19.2 hours) The last 100 miles hosted terrible driving conditions in snow, blowing snow, and dark roads, but we made it! We arrived at the hotel in Mackinaw City on Tuesday evening- two whole days before we thought we would be there! That was a special gift for our family. One of Roger’s dear friends from one of the islands in Maine, had gifted our family with a gift of money which was especially timely as we had a longer hotel stay that originally anticipated. Roger had to work on Wednesday and Thursday but the kids and I spent the days swimming, walking around the town, and exploring the area. There are not a lot of hotel options in Mackinaw City this time of year, and the one hotel was open Monday thru Wednesdays and the other hotel was open Thursday thru Sunday. So we had to go across the street on Thursday afternoon to switch hotels which provided a humorous situation, but it was a memory! 

We found a local ice arena for the kids to skate at on Wednesday and Thursday, so that was a highlight for them. After six years of not having skates due to my kids wearing my size of ice skates, the boys decided to buy me a new pair of ice skates for Christmas. I got my gift early so that I could use them ice skating on Thursday with the boys. However, when we arrived at the ice arena for skating, Travis told me “Mom, I am really glad that you got new skates. I should’ve said something yesterday, but I didn’t want to say anything cause we were buying skates for you. But, Mom, I can’t get my ice skates on with my socks too.” I looked at Travis’s feet and noticed that he had blisters on his ankles. He had worn his skates on Wednesday without socks so that he could get them on! I told him that wearing skates with socks is very important, and that we would’ve happily have bought him skates if we had known that he needed some that badly! (The kids are constantly growing and sometimes it’s hard to keep up with who needs what!) Anyways, I offered to let him try on my new skates, and he insisted that I should go skating and that he would just watch. We compromised and shared the new skates. Travis wore them first (at my insistence) and then I went skating a little later. When I put on the skates and skated on the ice, Chandler told me, “Mom, you’re actually a pretty good skater for a girl and how old you are!” Um- thank you? I think! Oh, these kiddos surely keep me on my toes! 

On Christmas Eve, we drove down to a bigger city to do some shopping, wash the van, change the oil, eat lunch at Culver’s, and we bought a new pair of ice skates for Travis! It was a fun time as a family, and we will enjoy the memory. Our family likes to go to a Christmas Eve service, but I was having a hard time finding a church via online that was stating that they were having a Christmas Eve service. I found one area church that was having a Christmas Eve service with carols first and then a visit from Santa. Hmm…well, that didn’t sound like what we were looking for necessarily! The Baptist church didn’t have anything posted, but there was one community church that was having a Christmas Eve service at 7:00pm. I knew that it probably wouldn’t be exactly like our church in Maine. We arrived at the church building a little early, and the sanctuary had low lights, candles waiting to be lit, and music playing. That all seemed fairly traditional but as we sat down and listened to the music, one of my kids started snorting (like laughing). He said “Mom, the song that’s playing is “Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer”!” Sure enough it was! I’m kinda a traditionalist (Roger would say “not kinda, she is”) so I really wanted to hear more traditional Christmas music. Someone must have adjusted the playlist because the next song was “Mary, did you know?” And then other Christmas carols. The pastor was very nice and friendly, and the service opened with prayer and then some singing. We knew most of the congregational songs, but then before the message there was a special.  A dear old lady (probably in her 80s) got up to do “Interpretive song”. Basically she twirled and danced and did some sign language to the music. I dared not to look at the boys! I will say that the people at that church seemed to really love Jesus, they were excited to be in church, and they enjoyed worshipping. It wasn’t how I’d do it, but I can appreciate their sincerity! We enjoyed the candle lighting and singing “Silent Night”. When we were on our way back to our hotel, Chandler asked if we would be visiting that church on Sunday morning. I asked him if he wanted to go back. He replied, “Well, that wasn’t necessarily my style. But if you wanted to go, then we will go.” That was a very diplomatic response, but I think we will try another church on Sunday. 

Saturday was Christmas Day. We enjoyed the morning with a family walk, reading the Christmas story, and opening a few simple stocking gifts. We went to the airport for lunch with a few of Roger’s co-workers, and then we came back to the hotel for more swimming and Christmas movies. It was a day that was low-key, but well spent. 

Roger had to work on Sunday, but the kids and I made plans to visit one of the local churches. It’s often very hard to tell from a web-site or Facebook exactly what a church is like, and neither of those can tell you if the church family is welcoming and friendly. The kids and I visited a small church in Saint Ignace. The people were friendly, the music was songs that we had either heard before or sung in our church, and the Pastor preached from the Bible. All of the boys said that they wouldn’t mind visiting again. I enjoyed the few brief moments interacting with the church people. After church, we dropped Garett off at the airport and the rest of us started the 5.5 hour drive to my parents house. We’ve traveled a lot this Christmas break (and I’m tired!). 

We’ve enjoyed a few days at my parents house along with my sister, Jen. The boys and Emma have enjoyed the snow, ice skating, hunting, and other winter activities. It’s been a busy few days, and we start the trip back to Maine tomorrow morning bright and early. This was our last trip out here before moving. Roger will be coming to Maine every month from now until June, and we will be moving to Michigan in June, Lord willing. We do not have a house so that’s a definite prayer request. Also, we’d appreciate prayers for a safe trip back to Maine. Please pray that I feel refreshed and ready to return to school on Monday as well as our children. We want to glorify God with all of our lives. 

Praying that each one of you had a blessed and wonderful Christmas season. It’s an exciting time of year, but I pray that you will take the time to really reflect on Jesus. He is the greatest gift! He is not a helpless babe in a manger, He is the Lord of the Universe. All Glory to God!


No comments:

Post a Comment