Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Thursday, November 24, 2022

A Week of Giving Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!






 Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours! Our hearts are full of thanks as we reflect on the past year and all that God has done for us. We were thankful for a short week of school this week, my parents coming for a few days, a short visit with Roger’s parents, attending the pie and praise service at church, a successful deer hunt, a fun Turkey trot race, and a table full of guest and family on Thanksgiving day. We are so blessed! 

My parents came in from Wisconsin for a few days, and they arrived late on Monday night. We allowed Chandler to stay home from school on Tuesday to spend some time with them. He’s done well with making good choices in school, but a day of mentorship from my dad was the right choice for him on Tuesday. They spent the day setting up deer stands, talking to the neighbors, and just being together. We are thankful for those that mentor and disciple our children. My friend, Laura, brought me coffee and a biscuit to school and that was a special treat. I’m also thankful for those that pour into me! It was so thoughtful and kind! It’s not easy to uproot, move, and re-start, but God has been faithful through it all. 

On Tuesday night we attended the Pie and Praise service at church. This is always one of my favorite services of the year, and every church does it just a little bit differently. We were happy to meet Roger’s parents at the Pie and Praise service as they were passing through the area. My heart was full as I listened to testimonies of God’s goodness and character. I tend to be emotional on nights like these, but I only cried when I heard my friend express the goodness of God when I knew that she has had the roughest year in her life. I did say a word of praise expressing my thankfulness to God’s perfect timing. After I sat down, I thought of other things that I could’ve said better or differently, but God knows my heart. We do have so much to be thankful for as we look  back over the year. 

Wednesday was a half day at school, and we were thankful it was a short day. I came home and made lots of food in preparation for Thursday’s dinner. Two pies, pumpkin roll, chocolate crème pie, macaroni and cheese, and a bunch of other food items. Chandler went out to deer hunt around four pm, and he came back around 5:15pm to tell us that he had shot a deer. There was a few frantic moments as we gathered up the knife, boots, and everyone piled into the truck to go out to the field. Chandler was excited to have hit his first deer, but we then realized that he had accidentally shot the deer on someone else’s land. The person was very gracious about it, but we would appreciate your prayers that we could figure out who’s land is whose and where the property lines are at. We want to be on good terms with our neighbors and we want to be a good testimony for the Lord to our neighbors. But anyways, it was an exciting moment for Chandler and our household! 

Oh, and I know this is random, but I did want to interject a moment about the Freshmen Trip that Chandler is preparing to go on next month. There was a teen fundraiser after church on Sunday night, but it was poorly attended. I mentioned in my last post that Chandler has been working on raising money and trying not to take money out of his bank account. Last week, a new friend came to visit me in the library for a minute. She handed me a card and as I read the note I could hardly keep the tears at bay. It was the sweetest note that I’ve read or received in a long time. It was for Chandler and her family was expressing their thankfulness for our family and in getting to know us. Funny thing is that Roger and I had a similar conversation about this exact family earlier in the week and Roger had commented on how easy they were to talk to and we were looking forward to getting to know them better! She had read the blog, and then her family had given Chandler a gift for his trip. Even though the Sunday night event wasn’t well attended, Chandler now has all the funds that he needs for his trip! God is so good! 

Here’s another random story about the goodness of God: Last Friday Travis had taken a dollar to school with him so that he could buy a treat at lunchtime. Well at lunchtime, he realized that one of his classmates didn’t have any lunch. Travis gave his dollar to his classmate so that his friend could buy something to eat. At the basketball tournament later that same day, Travis had noticed that the Pastor had spilled his drink. The Pastor asked Travis to go grab some paper towels to clean up the mess. Travis got the paper towels and cleaned up the mess. Pastor gave Travis $5.00 for helping and being thoughtful. Travis tried to refuse the money, but the Pastor told Travis that the Lord wanted him to give the money to Travis. When I saw Travis later in the day, Travis immediately told me about the story. It was the PERFECT reminder that we cannot out give God, and that God will do exceeding abundantly above all we ask or think! Also, last Friday, Travis and Wyatt had the opportunity to get out of school early so that they could go to the basketball tournament earlier to watch the girls team play. I was going to be coming after school, but the younger boys were thrilled to get to go to the basketball tournament earlier with the Hardison boys. Mr Hardison had a van full of five boys! We are thankful for friendships that are being made in the boys lives also. 

Anyways, back to the week at hand- that is now almost over- again! This morning (Thanksgiving morning) the four boys and I ran in the 5k Turkey Trot race. There were 244 runners in the race. Chandler came in second overall. Garett beat me, but I was ahead of Wyatt and Travis. It was a slower race for me (read “I haven’t been running as much lately!), but I did finish third in my age division (which also gets older every year!). Roger came along for moral support and Emma was happy to stay home with my parents! It was a beautiful morning for a run, and we are thankful that we have healthy bodies to run with. My friend, Jennifer, was there at the race, and she’s the one that invited us to join the race. It was good to have a few moments with her also. 

After the race, we came home to do more cooking! We had Turkey, ham, rolls, corn, mashed potatoes, gravy, strawberry fluff, Brussel sprouts, macaroni and cheese, pasta salad, and lots of dessert! Another family from church was able to join us, and I love to have people in our home, so I was especially thankful for that opportunity again! We are so very blessed to have people to gather in our home to eat and fellowship with us. 

This year I’ve again created an acronym using the word THANKSGIVING. I’ve done this before and it’s interesting to see how things change from year to year. God has been so faithful through the years, and while every year brings about challenges and trials, the faithfulness of God never changes. 

T- Together Last year, Roger had a job in Michigan and while he was home for Thanksgiving, we spent much of the year apart. This year we are thankful to be together and host dinner in our home again. 

H- Heart I am thankful that God knows my heart. These years of raising teenagers are challenging, but when I don’t know how to express my thoughts into prayers, God already knows my heart. 

A- Attitude Sometimes we really struggle to have an “attitude of gratitude” in our home. As we talk to our teens and Emma about their attitudes often, I am thankful for the moments of gratitude in our home when our children remember to have that attitude. 

N- New Experiences I’ll be the first to admit that I am not always thankful for new experiences, but my faith is always challenged to grow. When I lean into Him, I can be thankful for new experiences. 

K- Kindness As we’ve experienced many new things in the past six months, I am so thankful for those that have extended kindness to our family either through action or word. 

S- Salvation- This is the best gift I’ve ever received! God send His son to die on the cross for my sin. I am so very thankful that I have the promise of a home in heaven. Jesus is the Rock of my Salvation. Spouse- I am thankful for Roger. He is my best friend. School While it’s been a major adjustment to transition to a new school, we are thankful for the Christian school. It’s not perfect, but we’ve added five imperfect children to the school. We are thankful that they have the opportunity for a Christian education. 

G- Good- byes We’ve said a lot of these this past year, and some of them have been very emotional. It’s hard to be thankful at times, but it’s also a reflection of the gifts of many friendships that we’ve been blessed with in our lives. 

I- Intercession I am thankful that the Holy Spirit ever gives intercession for me/us. So often I don’t know how to pray for our family, or 500 other things, but God knows. 

V- Victories When we see our children make good choices, love others, speak kindly or reflect Jesus, my heart is blessed. These are victories over the flesh and that is a victory! 

I- Investors I’m referring to those investing in the lives of our children and Roger and I. We are so blessed by those that speak Jesus in to the lives of our children and are investing in them for eternity. 

N- Never late Whew! I am thankful that God is never late and always on time! My timetable is rarely, if ever, on the same schedule as the Lord’s, but He is never late. He’s provided in miraculous ways for our children’s Christian education, our home, and thousands of other ways! 

G- Grace  I am thankful that God’s grace is never ending. He is never weary of me, and His grace flows freely. What a blessing! 


Photo credit- aleanjourney.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment