Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, May 22, 2023

Coming Down the “Home Stretch”!!













If I don’t hurry up and write about the last week, school will be out!! I’m already feeling the mad dash to the finish line as we wrap up final exams, class parties, try-outs for fall sports, and all the other year end activities! 

Almost two Fridays ago, (May 12th), the school had field day for the 3rd-6th graders. Travis had been throughly disappointed that he was going to miss out on field day due to his cast on his foot! I wasn’t sure exactly what my role would be for the day, but I managed to stay busy with handing out ribbons for different events, helping with the snack stand, and whatever else needed doing. Around 10:30am, Travis’s teacher came to find me. He said that Travis was really wanting to do the soccer kick, and that Travis had asked his teacher to ask me. A kid on crutches with a timed soccer event doesn’t seem like a recipe for success, but Travis wanted to DO something! So I said yes, he could try that. So for the soccer shoot-out, there were several differently marked spots where soccer balls were placed. The athlete had to run to the ball and then kick it into the net from that spot, and it was a timed event! I missed part of it, but I caught some of Travis’s attempts at it. He did very well for a kid on crutches, and he even placed third in the event! It was one of the highlights of his day, so I’m glad I said yes.

Last Saturday (5/13) Roger and I were invited to a wedding. Roger had planned to go with me, but he wasn’t able to get off of work in time. I took along Garett as my date, and I’m constantly reminded of how grown up he’s becoming! It was a beautiful wedding, and we enjoyed it. Garett said that his favorite part was the supper meal! I guess he’s still a typical boy at heart! It was a fun event to take Garett to, and I’m thankful for moments to spend with our children individually. 

Also over a week ago was Mother’s Day. We had our friends, the Everett’s, over for lunch on Mother’s Day. Roger grilled some meat, we had potatoes and fruit and ice cream cake for dessert! It was a low-key day, and a day well spent. We all went hiking at a state park not too far from our house. The boys wanted to try fishing. They were not successful, and everyone came back really, really dirty and grubby, but it was a fun time. We didn’t have church on Sunday night, so we were able to hike for a bit, fish for a bit, and just talk and visit. We are thankful for friends to share in the memories. 

Last week passed by in a really quick blur! It was here and gone before we could even blink! We had the sports awards program on Tuesday night. I was reminded again of how fast these years are flying by, and how important coaches are in the lives of our children. Our children played a lot of sports this past year, and it was mostly good experiences. I’m the most thankful for the coaches that can see beyond the sport, the ball field, or the court, and look to eternity. No one is going to remember in two years, or even next year, who was awarded Most Valuable Player or Most Improved, but these kids will remember which coaches took the time to invest in them. I know I can be passionate and out-spoken about what I believe, but I fervently believe that if every Christian got ahold of the truth “redeeming the time because the days are evil”, we would see a dramatic change in how we use our time with the youth of today. The truth is that there is NO time to be wasted, and I wish that I could express more fervently how important it is to invest in lives for eternity and not for a short-term sport or even a school class. Don’t get me wrong, I love to win and academics are important! My husband says that I can be too competitive, and I know where Chandler gets that from! But as I get older, I also realize more and more how short our opportunity to touch lives really is in the grand picture. Okay, stepping off the soap box now! Moving on! 

The younger grades had a field trip to a baseball game on Wednesday, so I took the day off so that I could go with Emma. I  also took Travis along after receiving permission for him to come along. He was really bummed that his class hasn’t really done any field trips this year, and he’s struggled along through school for most of his life. I am not usually that parent that allows other siblings to go on a siblings field trip. However, since I was already taking the day off and going, and Roger and I thought that Travis could use some special encouragement, we decided to let him go to the baseball game. He was so excited! My friend, Laura, and I drove to the game with Travis, and we had a good time just visiting together. When we arrived at the game, there was a flurry of activity as tickets needed to be passed out, and figuring out which students were with their parents and who needed supervision. There were a lot of parents on this field trip, which can be both good and bad. Sometimes the student will behave better if a parent is present, but that’s not always the case! I thought that the game was rather boring, personally, but Travis had a great time! By about the fourth inning, Emma was more interested in the bathrooms, concessions, and the small playground than she was in the game. She later told me that “that field trip was not my favorite. But it was better than going to school all day!” We actually managed to get home a little earlier than normal as I just picked up our other children a bit earlier from school since I wasn’t working. 

Last Wednesday was also my 40th birthday! I’m not quite sure how I arrived here so quickly, but here we are! My friends, Laura, and Brandi both gave me gifts on my birthday. It was nice to be remembered, even if I am getting old! My friend, Jennifer, took me out to lunch on Thursday for my birthday and gave me a gift. I’m thankful for all the birthday wishes, the cards, and those that have invested in my life for so long. We were talking about “heroes of the faith” a few weeks ago with our friends, and I want to be that role model for someone. I want to encourage and point others to Jesus. I want our children to know that life really will fly by, so do what matters for eternity! I have a few “heroes of the faith” in my mind. A few that come to my mind are my college cross-country coach, Jack Noonan. He’s already passed into glory, but he taught me so much more than to just enjoy running. He invested in a silly, young freshman, and constantly reminded us to do it all for the glory of God. Another hero of the faith, in my mind, would be my dad. He’s been faithful to pastor a little church for a long time, and while people may not be flocking to it, he’s been a pillar of faithfulness and trusting in the Lord. Another person would be Becki Martz. She was a teacher to both Garett and Chandler during their junior high years. She was a great teacher, but so much more than that, she loved them and pointed them to Jesus. My boys would both say that she’s their favorite teacher, and through her mentorship I learned so much more than just teaching from an academic standpoint. “Teach to touch lives for Jesus”. I miss our prayer meeting and conversations about things that will matter for eternity. We talked plenty about school, but also so much more about our students and how to help them develop a love for Jesus. I miss her. I do have others that have mentored me through the years, and I’m sure that I am forgetting some very important ones, but in the course of our conversation about “heroes of the faith”, I realized that I want to be that for someone and our children. I am certainly not doing the Christian walk perfectly, and I fail every day, but through it all, I want to trust in Jesus. 

Last Friday, after school, the boys had try-outs for the fall soccer team. It was pouring down rain! Still, there were a bunch of kids that showed up to play soccer. Everyone was soaked through in a matter of minutes, but they kept at it. Travis trotted out to the field on his crutches to tell the coach that he wanted to play, but that the doctor had said “no sports”. I was proud of his initiative to go and talk to the coach. The coach told him that if he came to the summer practices, he would see about giving him a jersey in the fall. Travis did play last year, so the coach does know a little bit about his playing level already. The boys are all excited about fall sports, as soccer is their favorite. We also see a lot of competitiveness come out between Garett and Chandler in this sport. Chandler is more of the natural athlete, but that can lead to a prideful spirit sometimes. However, if he can channel that, he will make a great leader both on and off the playing field. I was very impressed that during the soccer tryouts, he took the time to run the laps with one of the slower players on the team to encourage him. That makes my heart happy, and I know that the Lord looks upon the lowly and contrite heart. Today (5/22) there were cross-county tryouts. Wyatt did decide to tryout for the team also, so we might have two cross-county runners. We will see. I see potential for both Chandler and Wyatt to do well as well as improve over the season. 

Travis also got his cast removed today! Yay! He is thrilled about that, and he is supposed to wear a boot for three weeks. We are excited that the cast is removed, and Travis is happy that he can go swimming now! 

We have four days left of school, and we are looking forward to completing this year. We learned a lot over the course of the year, and I’m glad that we made it through the “firsts”. The first new day at a new school, the first tryout for a sports team, the first official final exams, the first introduction to new teachers and all new kids in class, etc. We learned a lot through mistakes, unfortunately, but we are smarter than we were 180 days ago. We are thankful for the mercies of God that brought us through. I’m thankful for God’s provision for the school bill. I’m thankful that our children have the opportunity to attend a Christian school. We are truly so blessed. 

We are wrapping up school. My parents are coming out to visit next week. My sister, Jen, is also coming to North Carolina. She has several job interviews lined up, so please pray for wisdom for her. We are excited for summer break! God is so good! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment