Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, June 4, 2012

Catching up in a nutshell!


I never seem to have the time to write on here like I'd like to, but I consider this blog like my online journal of my family life. Hence, I am playing catch-up! The summer is officially here, with Garett finishing his year of 4K, a family camping trip over Memorial day weekend, plus a canoe trip with friends, running a 5K, and Chandler's surgery (tonsils and adenoids removed). All that to say, I've been very, very busy! And next week starts Vacation Bible School at our church. I'll be teaching the 3-4 year olds, and I definitely feel out of my comfort zone here! I have my own children in this age group and know how much time and effort is required to help them grow, so I'm a little overwhelmed. I do not want to waste 2 1/2 hours every night for five nights, I really want this group of little people to learn something!

My awesome husband and Travis
On May 19th, I ran a 5K in our local town. It was a very warm day, about 90 degrees, and the race was at 11:30am. Another friend from our church, Jared, ran as well. My husband walked around with the kids and cheered me on. I placed 6 out of 215 women and third in my age group. I ran a time of 23:54, which in college, would have been awful for me, but 7 years out of college...I'm very happy with that! 

The friend that also ran in the race... he's lost over 100 lbs.!

Also, on May 19th, we took a canoe trip with some close friends of ours, the Longsines and the Schuberts, and a family from my dad's church. It was the perfect length for children as the water was high and moved along quickly. All of our kids went and seemed to have a great time!

The final week in May wrapped up school for Garett, followed by a camping trip with other families from our church. We went to a little campground in the Dells, and we had a great time! Saturday was a little rough as it rained off and on, and the mosquitoes were terrible! But, Sunday was beautiful! After church, we went down to the water and played water games. The mosquitoes were not nearly as bad making the day much, much better!
Getting ready to go swimming!

Loved the water

Travis has lots of little mothers!
Following the camping trip, Chandler had surgery to remove his tonsils and adenoids. I was really dreading the whole affair...not necessarily the surgery, but the aftermath of the sore throat and a possible very whining child! He came through the surgery with flying colors. He had the surgery at 8am, and we were home by noon. That was with a stop to Wal-mart to get Popsicles and ice cream, and McDonald's for french fries...yes, he ate french fries the day of his surgery! We are now on day five following the surgery and other than acting a little more tired and asking for extra fluids, my boy is the same! We are supposed to try to get him to rest and relax, but also let him take the lead in activities...so he's been riding his bike, climbing trees, and eating more Popsicles...I think he'll be fine!


Before surgery...he didn't want to wear the gown, "It's a dress!"
After surgery...resting, cuddling, and drinking
Already the summer is looking full with lots of fun family times planned. First is Vacation Bible School, then I'm taking the kids to North Carolina to see my sister and other extended family. Followed by one of my best friends from college coming to visit for a few days, then special meetings at our church. After that the family reunion with all of my husbands side, plus a few camping trips, canoe outings, and whatever else we find to do in the summer! I'm looking forward to the future, and all that God has in store for us. I know that the summer will be busy and full, but I treasure these moments with my family and the memories we are creating for a lifetime!

1 comment:

  1. Wow you have been very busy! That is an awesome time on your race, good job!! I am really glad that Chandlers surgery went so well, the hardes part after Owen's surgery for us was him coming out of the anestia (sp?). Thanks for the update! Miss ya friend

    ReplyDelete