Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Christmas Preparations

We are already well into December, and I am not feeling as ready for Christmas as I typically do this time of year. I think it has to do with a myriad of reasons from sick kids, to this being a "different" Christmas for us, and my time seems to be so limited! 

Roger and I have both been battling serious bouts of discouragement in the last few days, but in the middle of that God has also shown Himself strong. On Saturday afternoon, I was feeling particularly discouraged about a certain incident, when out of the blue, a friend called me. This is a friend to whom I enjoy talking to, but we don't do much together. However, Tressa called me to say that she and her friend, Heather, wanted to take myself and another lady from church out to lunch on Sunday afternoon.    My husband was more than happy to let me go and do this, so I said "yes." I made lunch for the boys and Roger for Sunday afternoon, and Roger called up his friend, Sean. Since Sean's wife, Gretchen, was the other lady invited, it made sense to Roger to invite Sean and his kids over for lunch at our house. 

So after church on Sunday, I headed to lunch with my friends, while Roger and Sean ate lunch with the nine children at our house...two entirely different dining experiences! :) Tressa and Heather took Gretchen and I to "The Melting Pot" restaurant. Neither Gretchen nor I had ever been, and it was such a fun and enjoyable dining experience. We had a wonderful time chatting, enjoying each other's company, and eating a delicious meal...wow! 

                           

After lunch, we went to the mall for a bit. I don't know that I've ever gone to the mall just to walk around and try on clothes! All my mall excursions consisted of hauling five kids around to do a few very particular errands in the mall. Or if for some strange reason I'm by myself, I don't take the time to browse the clothing racks and try on clothes. (Maybe that's why I feel out dated and homely when I go to the mall!) :) The four of us had a great time laughing, talking, and laughing! :) The ladies very sweetly and kindly bought be a beautiful new dress along with earrings and a necklace. I love it...and I feel up to date, stylish, and modest! :)

By now you know that I have a very amazing husband. :) He never, ever, complains about watching the kids or me going out with friends. I'm very blessed to have a husband to works to meet my needs, and does his best to help and encourage me. These last few months haven't been easy for him, and I notice small stress lines and a few more gray hairs that weren't there are few months ago. I have a few very specific requests that I'm praying for in Roger's life, and I'm looking forward to continuing to see God work in and through him.

Monday, December 8
This morning the weather was sloppy with ice and snow on the ground. It was a busy day with school, house cleaning, and meal preparations for having company over for dinner tonight. I did manage to squeeze in a plasma appointment, and Roger did get in a few hours of flying. His goal is to have this instrument rating before Christmas...and since we aren't giving gifts, that would be the perfect gift for me! :) 

We had a great time with our dinner guests last night. It was nice to have people over for dinner again. With Roger being gone all summer, we didn't have families over for dinner, and it was nice to fellowship with dinner guests again. Ben and Lois are a sweet couple with two children, and we had a great time around  the dinner table. 

I saw this quote today and it was exactly what I needed. 
"If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. But if you Look at God, you'll be at rest." Corrie ten Boom

"....and His name shall be called...the Prince of Peace" Isaiah 9:6

1 comment:

  1. Happy you got some girl time. I will be at Wyldewood January 4 hint hint. ;)

    ReplyDelete