Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

A Date? One-stop Shopping? Wow!

Tuesday, September 22
So, Roger, Emma, and I had a date night! I know you are wondering what we did with the other children! Our children were invited to the AWANA program at a church here in town. It's a huge outreach in the community, and another Baptist church in town runs the program. We had seen the signs  on the church, at the post office, at the library, and at the grocery store. Many of the children from the church we are attending also go the AWANA program, and they invited our children. The four boys are old enough to attend, so we decided to take them to look into the program. We were impressed by how well it's organized, planned, and put together. There were over fifty kids there! It's every Tuesday night at 6:30 pm. The boys had a great time, and they are looking forward to going back next week. Roger and I were able to squeeze in a quick date to the grocery store, and it provided us with a much needed date...except of course, Emma came along! 

When we arrived at the church to look into the AWANA program, we discovered that it would be $30.00 a child for the program. We weren't sure if we could afford $120.00 for the kids to attend AWANAs, but we also feel that it's important for them to have something that they can look forward to every week. The secretary suggested that we could pay in increments if that was easier. We put $45.00 towards it, but Roger and I still need to come up with the rest of it. It seems like quite a bit of money since we aren't sure if we will be here past November, but it's also important for the kids. However, God always has a plan and a purpose. When Roger and I arrived back early to pick up the kids, the secretary mentioned that she needed to talk to us. Apparently, the director had discussed our situation with her, and the church will be paying for two of the kids to attended!! Wow! My heart was blessed and my faith encouraged by hearing that. Of course, I also had to wipe away a few tears at how good God is to us. The kids had a great time,  and they are working on their verses for next week. 

Wednesday, September 23
We are half way through another week of school! We spent some time reading books, and we are planning on a library trip on Friday. I was hoping that we would be able to go to the big city either Thursday or Friday, but Rogers schedule is pretty busy. I'm up for a lot of things, but driving 2 1/2 hours to the big city, and then shopping with five children, does not necessarily sound like FUN! However, it may become necessary as this Wisconsin family is almost out of all our cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, and everything else dairy! I've discovered a lot of great savings on some groceries by shopping on Amazon, but that company doesn't ship dairy...go figure! I mean, why not, it's only 86 degrees?! 

Every Wednesday, the church has dinner before the service. My mother has taught me well on many things including bringing plenty of food to church dinners! But, on the other hand, we have yet to come home with leftovers. I haven't decided if that's because I'm a good cook, or because people are very hungry! We made cookies, pasta and meatballs, jello, and bread. Well, Walmart made the bread to be honest. My family is still suffering the effects of my efforts of bread making in Alaska. Let's just say that is not my forte! I was able to play the piano for church tonight. I don't know if anyone else was blessed by it, but I certainly was blessed by playing! Playing the piano soothes my soul, and I feel like the music and the words come alive...I love it! I'd also love to start the boys on piano lessons, but I think I'm going to wait on that for a while. After all what would they practice on? Chandler suggested that we could build a piano out of cardboard and paint the keys on it. I'm certainly not trying to shoot down his ideas and that would be easier on the ears, but I think probably not! 

Friday, September 25
Today I'm just praising Jesus that we made it through another week of school. One of my good friends from back home suggested trying a different method of education with Garett, so we are working to get that set up this weekend. It's more of a computer based education, which might be able  to help me give more time to the other three students in school as well. I do have one question? Why is it when it doesn't matter if something works or not, it works fine; but if you need it to work, it breaks? Case in point is our computer as it has been slowing down over the last few months. However, when I went to try to use it for Garett's education, the thing wouldn't cooperate! Ahh...technology and I are not good friends either! (You're probably wondering what on earth I am good at, right? I'm not good a bread making, or homeschooling, or technology. However, I am very, very good at...ha, when I figure it out, I'll let you know!) But back on track, I will get Garett set up for a new change this weekend, Lord willing! I am willing to continue on with the curriculum that we have, but I am also learning to try other suggestions. 
        Sometimes the living room looks like this when we finish school. But it's  a small space so it doesn't take long to clean up! 


Saturday, September 26
Roger was gone for the majority of the day with multiple flying tours. Emma was up by 6:15 am., so I guess she didn't realize that it's Saturday! Chandler helped me make monkey bread and apple pie enchiladas for the pilot's treat this morning. It gives us a chance to be a blessing to the pilots, and it gives me an opportunity to bake with the kids. (It's a way to practice education without them realizing what is happening.) 

One of the maintenance mechanics came up to Roger yesterday and asked if if he bought a lottery ticket. Roger was suprised and of course replied that he's never boughten a lottery ticket. The mechanic replied that he should have bought one because Roger had amazing luck. Roger was completely confused and asked him what he was talking about. The mechanic showed Roger the rim of one of the tires off of his airplane. Part of the metal rim had snapped off, and the mechanic said that Roger must have had one very smooth landing to be able to land the airplane without puncturing the tire. Apparently, another pilot had mentioned that he had spotted debri on the runway when taking off. So, the mechanics had gone out the the runway to find the debri. They found the metal piece of rim, and as a precaution they had inspected all of the airplanes that the company owned. They discovered that Rogers plane was the one with the metal rim missing, and it must have happened on the last flight of the day. So I am thankful for the Lords every lasting protection over us. It could've been a very bumpy landing had that tire punctured, but God protected everyone. We are very thankful! 

Also today, we did laundry, I've finally discovered where you can do one-stop shopping in Page. It's at the laundromat! On any given day you can buy tamales, burritos, corn on the cob, peaches, baked treats, and jewelry! I've been working on getting some Christmas shopping done whenever I can get a good deal on some Navajo jewelry. It seems like it's mostly the teenage girls and elderly women that make the jewelry. I do better at bartering with the teens than the elderly ladies. While I'll buy some jewelry on occasion if it's a good deal, I don't generally buy food that someone else prepared at their house, although it often smells good. Sometimes the laundromat is more like a flea market than a laundromat, but at least the washing machines and dryers work. Although it does give me a bit of a chuckle when you read signs like, "please insert coins before staring". I believe they meant to say, "please insert coins before starting." Or "this machine accepts quitters only". I'm guessing it's supposed to say, "this machine accepts quarters only." Oh well, it gives my children good practical reading lessons! 

Since Roger was gone most of the day, it was a bit challenging to get the laundry done. However, we accomplished it, and we should have clean clothes to wear for the rest of the week. Yay! 

Emma has completely win over the hearts of everyone at the airport. She hands out hugs and kisses to those she likes, waves hello, and loves to go visit daddy at the airport. Since we live so close to the airport, we can hear the planes fly over. She will often run to the window to wave at daddy in the sky. Of course, Garett is quick to correct her if that isn't daddy's plane. He might not know his multiplication facts very well, but he knows the difference between a 206, 207, 172, the Otters and the Caravans! Ahh...maybe I just need to attach the multiplication facts to different airplanes!

Today was also a little bit of an emotionally hard day as our church back home is hosting their annual ladies meeting. The past four years I've helped in coordinating and working with the 5th thru 8th grade girls, and I've enjoyed it immensely.  While I loved seeing all the pictures from the day, it was a reminder of something I was missing out on, and a reminder that time marches on and change happens whether or not we want it to. But, in all of that, God is still faithful. And for today my ministry is to my husband, five children, and the people we come in contact with today. So, we will bake treats, love people, and hopefully, point them to the Lord today. Maybe someday, I'll get to return to the ministry of teaching and reaching the girls at the ladies retreat, but that's not for today. 

Sunday, September 27
Roger's flights were delayed this morning due to a tour bus breaking down on the road, so it was just myself and the children for church this morning. The pastor asked if I would play the piano since the guy that normally plays the guitar is out of town. I was happy to do it, and it was going well until Emma noticed that I had left the church pew and came running down the church aisle! She probably would have done fine sitting beside me at the piano, but the Pastors wife offered to take her to the nursery. Emma is becoming more comfortable at church, so she was willing to go to the nursery. The other four boys must have done okay sitting in the pew...or at least I think so. I'm mean, no one was crying or hitting on their brother, so I guess it went well! Roger missed the whole service, but he did get home as I was dishing up lunch. 

After lunch Roger, Emma and I walked down to the airport with lunch for the office ladies. They were thrilled to have white chicken chili, so I hope it was good! Since we still had a bunch left in the pot, we took some to the other pilots. It was a good walk for Roger, Emma and I, and we had a good visit. I'm thankful for every moment Roger and I can squeeze in together these days as his schedule has been so busy. 

However, Roger might have off tomorrow, so we might be going to the big city! Yay for grocery options, and dairy choices in the city! It's been four weeks since we've been so the pantry would like to see some groceries.  Roger will probably have a morning flight, but that will give me time to get some schooling in before we go. I think we are going to go to Flagstaff this time instead of Saint George. It will be a change of scenery, and even the kids are looking forward to going! 

Blessings on your day, and our love to you, 
Sarah



                           One of my baking assistants...Chandler 

No comments:

Post a Comment