Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Friday, September 11, 2015

Moving Forward...Pressing On

                                                                    Love These Kids!



What have YOU been doing? I know what I've been doing! We are in the middle of homeschooling four boys, and trying to keep an active toddler from destroying the house while doing so! This week she squeezed out a tube of toothpaste into the toilet, put Travis's tractors in there, and then put in the towels (only the clean ones, of course!). Why not just shut the bathroom door, you ask? Well, the handle is broken...it's been broken since after the third week we moved in, so it doesn't latch. Roger fixed it once, only to have the latch part of the door fall out three days later! I will say that she does a fabulous job of entertaining herself while we are busy! 

Last Saturday, Roger had six flights, and since then he has flown at least once every day. While I am loving the fact that he is doing what he enjoys and getting more hours, it does produce a bit of a struggle to get everything done in the homeschooling realm! I need to seriously throttle back a little and become a little more flexible in this area. While it is extremely important that they get an education, I really, really want it to be something we both enjoy...and currently that is not the case! For one child, everything is easy, for another everything is a challenge, for the next it's boring, for the next it's too long...ahhhh! How on earth do moms of mutilple children homeschool their children and enjoy it?! I know, just breathe and one day at a time. God's grace is truly sufficient, but I'm sure my children wish often that God would send more! 

Last Sunday, Roger had several flights in the morning, so he wasn't able to attend church with us. Since I want our children to know that church is important to our family, and we need to fellowship with other  believers, I took them by myself. Although I did it for almost a year by myself in Wisconsin, it's a lot different when it's a new church! Quite a few of the families were gone on a camping trip, so that meant that the pastors wife was needed to do the children's church class. She usually does he nursery on Sunday morning, but obviously she couldn't be in two places at once. Due to a few odd circumstances, I wasn't able to use the nursery for Emma either. So that meant that Emma sat in the service with me, which worked until she ate all the mints, got tired of the pen, and drank all her juice. Then she was not quiet anymore! I ended up sitting in the fellowship hall with Emma so that she didn't disturb the service. I'm not opposed to churches not having a nursery,  nor do I want my child to distract someone else from hearing the Gospel. I realize that children are noisy, and need their parents to help them learn to sit...I agree completely! I just would rather do my training at home and come to church to be fed on Gods Word. Although I was able to spend a lot of time in prayer, I did feel like I came to church to use the drinking fountain and the toilet paper! My spiritual well felt a little dry, but I know I made the right choice, and it has led to a great Bible study for me on the woman at the well. (John 4) Did it ever occur to you what a woman of influence she was? Perhaps not a good one, but when she invited the men of the city to hear Jesus, they came. Because of her interaction with Jesus, and her desire to learn about the Living Water, Jesus stayed in Samaria for two days! Talk about life touching life....this woman had probably wrecked havoc on many people's lives, yet God redeemed her from her sin, and many people believed because of her. Wow! God can use us all! 

Roger was home by the time we arrived home from church, so I was able to go for a short run, do some grocery shopping, and work on getting the lessons together for the school week. Roger also had an evening flight which ran late. I again ended up taking the kids to church by myself. I was a little bit concerned about how the service would work since there wouldn't be a children's service, and trying to keep Emma quiet would be a challenge. However, the pastors wife was able to do the nursery, and Roger was able to come a little bit later. It was good to go to church together as a family again. After the church service, the pastor and his wife invited us to go to Burger King with them for a treat. Burger King also has a play land, so the kids were happy as well. It was a good visit, and we enjoyed getting to know them better. 

Monday was a day filled with errands, flights, and family time. We switched over our cell phones to a company that actually gets service around here, so if you need our new number, please ask. Dealing with phones and technology can be a bit of a headache, but I think we have everything figured out now
 We should also be able to save some money by switching our phone service so that makes us happy!
We also went to the state park and went on a hike with the kids. It was an unsual holiday for us in that we didn't spend it with other family or friends, but it was enjoyable. 

The rest of the week was spent with flights, schooling, Wednesday night church service, and every day life occurrences. I took the two little boys with me to do laundry on Friday, and I was amazed at how much they get along together and act like twins. Wyatt gives the orders, and Travis usually agrees. Earlier this week when I put them to bed, Travis let out a big yawn. Wyatt immediately told him "Travis you aren't tired yet, I want to talk to you." And Travis replied, "okay". I just shook my head and chuckled.  Kids can be a lot of fun...and a lot of work! 

This Saturday, Roger again had a full day of flights. I took the kids to the library and to Walmart to pick up a few things. We were out of eggs, so I needed to get some of those. I need to raise chickens! Wow...eggs are expensive! I went down to the airport to see what flights Roger had today, and we brought down chocolate banana bread and peanut butter cookies for the pilots. The tray was half gone before I even left the airport. It's another way to make friendships with the lives of the people around us. 

The boys have been making friends with a few kids in the neighborhood, so they are currently working on a teepee in the back yard. We have plenty of large weeds for them to cut down! They also borrowed the pasta strainer to strain the sand in the front yard...why? Well, all the goat heads were cutting down on the fun, so they used the strainer to strain the sand and dump out the stuff that didn't sift through into a separate pile. I was pretty impressed with their creativity.  Of course the flip side to cutting down trees is having Roger walk out of the bathroom at supper time and announce, "okay, who cut themselves?" The guilty child immediately burst into tears, and hold up a hand that is wrapped in bloody toilet paper. My heart did skip a few beats, but it's a clean cut. I think...maybe...he learned his lesson about only using the hedge trimmers and not the kitchen knives for cutting down the tree weeds! God continues to protect each one of us, and I'm thankful for His constant care! 


Here's one of the quirky things about this town: absolutely no one is on time for anything! The laundromat doesn't open when the sign states it will be, the coffee shops are open and closed with no rhyme or reason to time, and when LIttle Ceasars offers hot-n-ready pizza, they actually mean in fifteen to twenty minutes! It's been a challenge for my time conscious mind to adjust, and I often have to laugh (because otherwise, I'd scream in frustration.) After church, we stopped at Little Ceasars to pick up a pizza. We ended up coming back to the house, and then Roger going back out to get the pizza. What else is there to do but laugh and move forward?! 

Roger has been looking into a few other job options, but we currently are just waiting for God's clear direction. Thank you for your continued prayers! 





The Teepee! 
             The Workers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment