Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Berries, Swimming, and Week Three!

  

   

  

Crazy news for you- another week has passed! And it's been both short and long at the same time! Roger has worked six out of the last seven days, so I'm looking forward to seeing him for a few extra days next week. The boys and Emma have done very well this past week, but it's a bit challenging on all of us when Roger is gone from 5:00 am to 7:30pm. However, we are coming to the end of this stretch.

Roger worked last Sunday, which meant it was solo mama bear and five cubs for church and the days events. We arrived to church on time after Garett treated us to donuts (for the kids) and coffee (for mom) at Dunkin Donuts. He had spent the day at the airport the day before and had worked hard. He helped load airplanes, unload airplanes, wash airplanes, and spent the day with Roger. He also received a handsome tip, and being the sweet boy that he is, he treated us before church on Sunday morning. Love that boy!

Sunday afternoon we were invited over to the pastors house for a graduation get together for his daughter, Bailey. I certainly don't mind attending, but it somehow always seems like these events are in the days when Roger is working! We went as the kids are good friends with Austin, but we didn't stay too long. I wanted to make sure that I would be home when Roger did get home from work. All it all, it was a good day!

Monday's adventure included strawberry picking, not having enough cash, child throwing up in the car, and child needed to pee after walking all the way out to the patch! (I think I'd like a re-do on this day!) Oh well, we made some memories! This was our first time doing pick-your-own berries in Maine, so it took some effort to figure out if any places were available and how far away. We discovered a place about 25 minutes from our house, and I decided to check it out with the boys on Monday morning. It was a cute little farm with several acres of strawberries. We walked out to the    field and started picking. About ten minutes into picking, Emma needed to go to the bathroom. We were close to the woods, which I would've gladly taken her there, except there were quite a few people around. I left the four boys to keep picking and took Emma back up to the farm to the outhouse. Then back we trotted back to the field. An older couple was picking a few rows over and when I got back they told me that my children were well-behaved. It's always such a good feeling when someone encourages something you are working at so hard! It didn't take us too long to fill two flats with berries, and we headed back to pay. I knew from looking online that the berries were $2.00 a pound, but it hadn't said that they only take cash! I had forty-four dollars in cash and the berries came to $52.00. I told the man that I was sorry, but I didn't have enough money to pay for all the berries. It was also an extremely awkward and embarrassing position for me to be in as all my children are gathered around also. The man graciously just told me to go ahead and take the berries. I was blessed by his kindness to us. We headed home, and about 10 minutes into the ride, Travis announced that his tummy hurt. I figured it was because of all the berries he had eaten, and some of them had been quite smushy due to all the rain. He told me that one of the berries he had eaten was "nasty", but he kept eating it! I, of course, asked him why he would keep eating something nasty! He replied, "I don't know. It was food!" I told him we were almost home, but about five minutes later, gagging and coughing came from the back seat. Chandler was hugging the window in an attempt to get away from his brother, Travis is gagging, Emma is proclaiming that she's thirsty, and I was driving...yup, a three ring circus! We did make it home, and I discovered that Travis had thrown up all over the quart of berries that he had picked. They were not salvageable! Perhaps God allowed that man to give us free berries since they would be wasted anyways! Oh well, we survived! We made cake and took some out to the pilots along with fresh berries, and we managed to freeze about 10 quarts. All in all, it was a productive day.

Tuesday: Fourth of July! The weather dawned sunny and bright but not overly hot! Roger had off   today, so I was thankful that he was able to join in the festivities. One of the local towns hosts a Childrens one mile fun run, a 5k run, a parade, and lots of other activities. The children's fun run was at 8:00am, and three of the boys decided to run in it. Garett ran last year in it, but running isn't his thing, so he decided not to go this year. Since Emma was still sleeping, I stayed home with those two. I ran in the 5k last year, and I originally planned to run again this year. But it's not free like the kids fun run is, so I decided not to do it this year. Our boys came home very excited to tell me all about the race. It was so fun hearing them tell me all about it. Chandler place fourth overall with a time of 6:05 for the mile run, so he may have running in his future. Travis place fourteenth overall with a time of 7:15, which is good for a 6 year old. Wyatt was a bit bummed as Travis beat him, but he did very well  also with a time of 7:48 and coming in sixteenth place. I think there were about 50-60 runners, so they were pleased with their efforts. And we now have three t-shirts that were free! 😜



We went to the parade at 11:00am., and I have to admit that I didn't think it was that awesome this year. It seemed a bit dull and boring, but that's the way some years are going to be. I was completely appalled by the representation of the Democratic Party in the parade. They were a huge group of  people that displayed signs that were a disgrace to unity and patriotism in our country! It's a bit disheartening to see signs that are so unpatriotic on America's birthday, but it was an opportunity to talk with our kids about who we are as Americans and what we stand for in both our country and our world.

We spent some of the afternoon down at the lake. The Philbrook's invited us down to their cabin on the lake, and the kids enjoyed the afternoon of swimming and playing. And no, it wasn't warm enough for me to get in! Emma did not even bother to ask to put on her swimsuit this time! It was a good afternoon of visiting and spending time with friends. We went home in the early evening as Roger was heading back to work early in Wednesday morning.

Wednesday was a great day of unwinding at home. The boys puttered around in the yard creating a slip and slide with an old tarp. After that novelty wore off, they built a pool using the tarp and about every piece of anything they could find in the yard! The did manage to get the tarp pool to hold about ten inches of water, so they played happily in that for most of the day. After everyone was beginning to look very red, we took some time to head to the library. The kids were able to sign up for the reading program, so I'm hoping that will help motivate those who need motivation in that area!

Roger came home early in Wednesday...hooray! It was about 5:30pm., so we were able to enjoy supper all together. He asked if I would help him with some lunch for the pilots on Thursday. Apparently someone had given the company some money to get lunch for the pilots, but it wasn't enough to have food ordered in. So Roger said that his wife would be able to figure out something to make for everyone with the fifty dollars. Oh yes! This is something I actually enjoy....having a budget, seeing how far I can make it go, and feeding everyone good healthy food with plenty of it! So Roger and I came up with the menu which included chicken ceasar wraps, pepperoni pasta salad, and a cheesecake for dessert. We bought everything we needed for $46.72, and I cooked up chicken, whipped together a pasta salad, and made a dessert. Did you know that pudding mix, a block of cream cheese, a tub of cool whip, and some berries turns into a beautiful no-bake cheesecake?! It was fun!

So  on Thursday we took the lunch out to the airport around 10:00, then we headed to the farmers  market, and then spent some of the  afternoon with our friends, the Smiths. The boys have been anxious to play at their friends house, and they spent the entire time shooting nerf guns, yelling, climbing trees, eating, and biking. (My children sleep very well at night!😀)  I should've taken a picture when all six boys were in the same tree ranging in ages from 6-10 years old...now that's quite a few boys in a tree! I enjoyed the visit with Bethany, and it was a good afternoon for us. I'm thankful for developing friendships and deeper relationships as we continue on with life here  in Maine.

Friday was spent cleaning and puttering around the house. We did go to the airport to see Daddy for a bit, but since the weather has been so nice lately, he's been super busy! We did a few errands, and stopped a few stores. And it never fails..."are all these yours?" "Only one girl?" And etc.etc.,etc., It used to annoy me somewhat, but I'm so used to my "tribe" that I don't even think twice about how it might appear to someone else to see five kids in tow! Oh well!

Today was another beautiful day in Maine. I will admit though that I would like some hot weather soon! Since it is summer, I feel like I should at least be able to go places without bringing a jacket along for everyone! But the sunshine is good, and the crops are growing. The strawberry season is almost over, and we are all looking forward to the start of blueberry season! Yum! We took Roger lunch after we finished yard saling. The boys found a treasure trove of guns (not real ones!) but make lots of noise for $5.00. Garett bought a sleeping bag for $3.00 that is selling for $129.00 on Amazon. Wyatt was bummed as he didn't find anything particularly special, but I said "I didn't either"!" We did find a pair of nice  cowboy boots, a few books, and the boys found some odd and end treasures. I didn't have success in obtaining anything I needed/wanted for our house,  but that's the way yard sailing goes! It was a fun morning spent with the kids. We also received a very special blessing in our mail box this afternoon. I have been praying about how we are going to pay the school bill needed next month, and I was feeling pretty overwhelmed and discouraged. However, God showed me once again that He is always faithful. We received a check that will cover almost two months of the school bill! Oh, how my heart is rejoicing! I was talking to myself while walking up the drive way just praising Jesus, and Emma announced "Praise Jesus!" She didn't know what I was referring to, but she was excited to praise Jesus also! God is faithful!

I'm about to wrap this up for this week, but I do have a funny story about Emma. While out grocery shopping this evening, she was observing a woman whose top was showing her belly. As Emma walked along behind me, she announced (quite loudly!) "That lady's top is too small!" Chandler was absolutely mortified as he tried to hid behind the cart, and I was honestly trying not to laugh at his mortification! Needless to say, we quickly moved on to the next aisle!

We appreciate your prayers, and we love you all. We pray that you will have a wonderful Lord's day worshipping with other believers tomorrow!
Love, Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment