Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Giving Thanks! And an Auction Update!

Psalm 100:4 “Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.”

Thanksgiving Day is tomorrow! I hope that you have plans to set aside some time just to reflect on The Lord’s blessings to you. This holiday is one of my favorites, and I’m looking forward to some time just singing His praises. We have a pie and praise service tonight at church, and it is one of my favorite services. I enjoy singing, hearing about other people’s blessings, rejoicing with believers, and having pie and fellowship afterwards. Our thanksgiving dinner will be a little different this year. Last year, Rogers parents were here for a few days over the Thanksgiving Break. This year we had thought about having dinner with Hannah and Josh. However, Josh has to be at work by three, and it seemed like everything might be a bit rushed if we tried to get up to their house, have dinner, and then Josh would have to rush off to work. Instead, we are going to try to get together another day when Josh and Roger have off, and enjoy some time together. I wasn’t sure how our dinner would end up. I mean, I make a lot of food every day, but my energy level has been lacking  lately due to a cold. Soup and sandwiches might have been our dinner! Everyone in Maine seems like they have family out here...lots of family! We didn’t know of anyone who didn’t have a place to go that we could invite to our house, and I’m not one for inviting myself, my spouse, and five kids to someone else’s dinner! But, God has a plan! We have a thanksgiving dinner plan, and I am looking forward to it. I’ll tell you about it later.

Okay, going back to last week for a minute as I want to give you some details! The Auction!! Hooray as it is behind us! God exceeded my expectations, and He gave us over $1000.00 more than what I had been praying for as posted in a previous blog post! It was a long day. Did I mention that it was a long day?! I had a parent/teacher conference at 7:30 am., and we did not get home until about 9:30 pm.,  I’m thankful for God’s grace! I spent the morning running a few errands for the auction, setting up tables, and working with Allison on about 550 projects-all at one time! A few more moms came after lunch to help finish setting up, and we were ready on time. Two of our boys had piano lessons after school, so by the time that was done we only had half an hour until the dinner and auction. We    had such a great turnout! There were a lot of faces that I didn’t recognize, and many friends and family from the community. Roger’s boss and his wife were able to come for a bit, and that delighted the hearts of our children. We had enough food for everyone, but by the end of the night, most of the food was gone. Our auctioneer for this event had a previous engagement for another auction. And in seventeen years that this auction has happened, he has never not made it. Um, until this time! At six o’clock people were ready for the auction to start. We had already announced the winners of the silent auction, and we were told that it would be at least another thirty minutes until our auctioneer could get to our auction. Well, there was nothing to do but start! I’ve never been an auctioneer, but I can now say that I’ve done it! πŸ˜€ I wasn’t the greatest auctioneer, but the audience had such great attitudes and sportsmanship. Have you ever been in a position that you have no idea how it happened, but there you are?! Yeah, I just prayed and asked the Lord to help me not say anything too dumb...and I started auctioning off the items. Thankfully, Claire was there to help with the items and to remind me what price I had sold an item at! Garett and Chandler were pretty excited as their succulent planters went for $35.00 each. When I was up there trying to auction stuff off, it felt like we were not going to make very much money at all! However, God brought it all together and ten and twenty dollars will add up! Thankfully, the auctioneer did arrive eventually, and I was more than happy to relinquish my post! God is so good and faithful, and He abundantly blessed this endeavor. I’m more than happy to not think about fundraising for a while, and I’m not planning on getting a job as an auctioneer!
 



Saturday was a low-key day at home. Travis and Emma had been struggling with colds all week, and I knew that I had been fighting one also. Roger was working, and the kids and I enjoyed the day with out any commitments. I did catch up on laundry, and I rearranged the living room. But I also enjoyed watching a Christmas movie with our kids. I knew by Saturday night that we would not be attending church the next day. The boys were all still very congested, Roger would be working, and my energy level was low. A few of the kids would’ve been fine to go to church, but with Roger working, the rest of us stayed home. I can’t remember the last time we’ve all missed church, and I certainly missed being there. However, Garett did a short devotional for us as did Chandler. The boys played their Christmas piano pieces for me, and we had a good morning together. I’m thankful to be planning on being back in church next Sunday, but it was a good day.


We have so much to be thankful for this year. As I look back at where we were a year ago, so much has changed. A year ago we were still struggling to find our footing in the church in School, still praying that God would bring good friends for our children, and missing our old traditions from Wisconsin. This year God has brought about close friendships, a deeper involvement in church and School,  a great job for Roger for a year and one-half, and so much more. What are some things that you are thankful for this year?

We finished up school today with an early release day. Travis’s class had a short thanksgiving program and a thanksgiving dinner. The parents were invited to come, so I went to his class for that program. We also had music program practice this morning, so it was a really quick day. I know all the students are getting a bit tired of the practices, and so am I! We are all ready to move on to something else, but we have two weeks to go! I am looking forward to putting it behind us. Roger has agreed to make some stage decorations for me, and I am so thankful for his support on this endeavor. My parents are coming for the program, so I know that my dad will help me build something if I still need help. πŸ˜€ I am blessed to work with some pretty great students, and I am certainly looking forward to seeing this hard work come to fruition...I hope!

On Saturday we are having some friends over to our house for supper. The boys don’t know it yet, but it’s actually a surprise party for Garett and Travis! Their birthdays were in August, but life happened- a party did not happen! I figure if I plan it for this week, they won’t have a clue! We have about thirty people coming over for supper and dessert. The boys are excited about having their friends over, and I’m hoping for a successful surprise party! πŸ˜€I love surprises, and I enjoy surprising others. This should be fun-I’ll let you know!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment