Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, November 12, 2018

Blessings and Pain (For Roger anyways)

 


 



 



I am so excited about this week! Or maybe it’s the fact that after Friday a major undertaking will be behind us?! This Friday our school will host its 19th annual auction! Wow! We are going to have a few crazy days ahead of us, but then it’ll be done! The proceeds from this auction go to our Parent Group. We use the funds for funding field trips, teacher appreciation week, hot lunch every Friday, technology needs, a Grandparents luncheon, and much, much more. Although small in number this year, ready or not, the auction is almost here. I’m so thankful for the moms that have worked together on this endeavor. While there have only been a few of us at the parent meetings and brainstorming sessions, the spirit of unity has been present. I’m so thankful!

In three weeks, the students will put on their Christmas program. It seems like a big undertaking to think that this will come together in a little over three weeks, but I remember feeling this way last year too. It’s a great group of students to work with, and for the most part, they all come prepared and willing to do their best. I’m thankful for the opportunity to serve in this ministry, and I’ll also rejoice when the program is over. But for now, I’m trying to enjoy the blessing of today!

Last week...what did I even do?! Let’s see...I finished my blanket for the auction. I also forgot to take a picture before I dropped it off at the school. I’ll try to remember to do that. I like how it turned out, and the boys all wanted to keep it...which we don’t need!

Last Monday morning found me in the sanctuary with the students preparing for the Christmas program. The teachers graciously gave me an hour to work with the entire student body on Monday mornings for the next few weeks. I know it’s a sacrifice on their part, so I definitely want to use that hour wisely. Following the program practice, Allison and I snuck away from the school to pick up  a  squash. Yes, you read that right! An older lady in our  church donated a very, very large blue Hubbard squash to our school auction, but she wanted someone to come pick it up. Allison and I didn’t have a lot of time, but we could both see that she wanted someone to visit with her. Her husband passed away recently, and I’m sure she’s a bit lonely. We stayed as long as we could, but Allison and I talked on the way back to school about the needs of the older folks in our church. I made a promise to myself that I would take the kiddos back this week to visit if God provided the opportunity.

On Tuesday morning, Emma and I were invited to a play date. Hannah, my friend,   come over to our house with her little ones a few weeks ago, and today we went to their house. We had a great morning visiting together. Hannah and I always have some deep conversations involving parenting, our responsibilities as mamas, life, and so much more. We certainly never solve all the problems, but it s good time of sweet fellowship centered around our love for Jesus, His Word, and our hearts desire for our children to grow up to love and serve Him. For having five kids five years old and under, it really was a peaceful morning. We were able to sit and visit while the kids played nicely. I worked a lot on my blanket while visiting with Hannah. We left we happy and full hearts. I was encouraged by a relaxing morning. We also voted on Tuesday...did you?

Wednesday was a bit crazier than normal, as Garett woke up not feeling well. I knew I didn’t want to cancel a morning of music classes with only having a few weeks left. Garett could’ve been fine on his own for a morning, as he just was struggling with a cold, but I decided to drop him off to Roger. How awesome is it that God provided a job for Roger where our kids are welcome to come and stay for a bit?! Garett was more than delighted to go to the airport...so much that I wondered how sick he really was feeling! He certainly didn’t act too sick, and I asked Roger to see if he could figure out why Garett didn’t want to go to school. It’s very unlike Garett to not want to go to school. School is hard for him, but he does enjoy it. I spent my morning directing handbells, chimes, boomwhackers and voices! Sometimes my head does hurt afterwards! When I picked up Garett after music classes, he  announced immediately that he was starving! Doesn’t sound like a sick child, does it? Garett was quiet for much of the day, but he never really opened up to much. He just said that he didn’t want to get the other kids sick, and he felt like his throat was sore. I completely believe him as we’ve had lots of sick kids, but my mother’s intuition told me that this might be something more.

Thursday morning rolled around with a full day of auction preparations to be done. Allison and I had a date to go to Augusta to go to Sam’s Club to get food items for the auction dinner. My friend, Annah, kindly agreed to watch Emma so that she didn’t have to go shopping with us. Emma was delighted to find out that she was spending the day with some of her friends! I dropped Emma off at Annah’s and picked up her son, Josiah, to take to school with us. On the way to school, Garett  casually asked Josiah if they had had a timed multiplication drill yesterday. Immediately my mom instinct picked up on Garett’s anxiety. Josiah told Garett that the teacher had forgot about the drill, so they might have it today. I could tell by the expression on Garett’s face that he was anxious about this math drill. When we dropped off the kids at school, I held Garett back to talk to him. He explained that he hated timed events as he can’t think under pressure. Um, yes, I’d agree with that! I explained that I could understand his concern but we can’t avoid problems in our lives by hiding from them! I just told him to do his best, and let God work out everything else. Garett told me after school that his teacher had given them a drill, but it wasn’t a timed drill. Well, praise Jesus! Garett does have an amazing teacher, so I’m sure that she was able to discern what the problem might be.

Allison and I had a great day! While it’s more fun to be shopping for our families or ourselves, it was so great to spend the day together. We visited, laughed and chatted the whole way to Augusta and back again! I am so blessed by her friendship, and I am so thankful for her. After picking up the kids from school, we headed to the airport to see Roger. I wanted to see about borrowing some rakes to rake some leaves. The older lady who’s house we went to on Monday had said that she needed to  get out and rake up her leaves. Okay, that’s something that my kids can help with. We gathered up the rakes, and headed over. She was delighted to see the kids and thought that we had stopped by for some Halloween treats. She was so surprised to find out that the boys were going to rake her leaves. Wow...our boys have become so much better at working! When we first started taking them on these service activities, it was a lot of work to help them stay on task. However today they pitched right in, raked hard, and gathered up seven wheelbarrows of leaves before the sun was getting too low. Emma was happy to stay in the house and entertain. I was so thankful for the hard work of the boys, their happy servant hearts, and the fact that God blessed us with these children. I hope that we were a small blessing to this dear older lady. It was dark when we finally arrived home, but our hearts were blessed by being a blessing to someone else.

Friday ...oh, Friday! Chapel music, auction project with Chandler’s class, hot lunch, and following up on some auction requests! It was a crazy, crazy day! Claire  took Emma with her in the afternoon, so I was able to follow up with a few businesses about some auction donations. I had a good time helping Chandler’s class with their auction project. They made homemade cleaners with essential oils. It was a fun project, and it smelled up the whole lunch room!

I’m thankful for days at home like Saturday. I’m thankful for church family, and it makes me sad when we miss it. I wasn’t feeling well on Sunday, and since Roger was working, we ended up staying home in the morning. It was good to just relax at home for a bit with our children, and I am thankful. I’m thankful for good health especially as Roger has been struggling with an infection in his hand. He finally had to go into the doctor today as his hand is so swollen that he can’t move it. We are praying for a swift and speedy recovery. He needs that hand for flying. I’m thankful for veterans and those who have served and are serving our country. I’m thankful for the Christian school. It’s not perfect because it’s made up of people, but it’s a great place for our children.

Today is Monday, and Roger’s hand is much, much worse! He had to go to the clinic and now he is on an antibiotic. Please pray that he will be able to get some relief from the pain soon. It’s very.  uncomfortable and the boys miss wrestling with him. God is good.
We love you,
Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment