Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Depression, Joy, Anger, Peace, All the Emotions!

 Depression, joy, peace, disappointment, relief....all emotions that flowed out over the past week! A sigh of relief, a shout of joy, and a grateful and thankful heart are all at the top of my mind today! Last week felt like “survival of the fittest” and I didn’t feel like I was surviving very well! However, God showed Himself strong and mighty, and we praise Him. The students did an amazing job at the program on Friday, and I am still smiling about it!
  


 




 




Everything was not all roses last week, and to be completely honest, I struggled with depression. Yeah, that’s a real thing! I’ve known for a while now that the tendency towards depression runs in me, but it definitely hits me when I least expect it. I’m sure much of the feeling stemmed from being overwhelmed and overly stimulated last week, but by Thursday morning, I was struggling to get out of bed, find a cup of coffee, and spend time in God’s Word. Even after that I still felt down and out-of-sorts. I know that the kids were picking up on my feelings because their actions were speaking loudly in a manner that I did not approve of! I became angry and said some hurtful things. My children became defensive, and we were all a bit hurt and angry. I actually crawled back into bed, pulled up the covers and wanted to stay there...all before 7:00am.! But motherhood and life were screaming my name! Chandler is the most like me, and it seems like he has inherited my not-so-lovely traits.  By the time we left for school, Chandler was angry at everyone, and I certainly did not feel like helping him sort it out! But God reminded me of several verses on the very quiet ride to school. “Be ye angry, and sin not.” “A fool utterth all his mind.” “Think on things that are true.” “ Let your speech be always with grace” I knew I needed to apologize to my son, and I needed to help him sort through some things. As the other boys hopped out at school, I asked chandler to wait for a minute. I asked him if he would want to go have coffee with me. He was surprised and asked, “Right now? What about school?”  I told him that education is very important, but there are things in life that  are even more important than that like a right relationship with Jesus and others. I told him to wait in
 the vehicle while I went to talk to his teacher and explain that he would be late. Chandler also has a great teacher, and she immediately responded to take as much time as we needed. She gave me some good advice, a hug and a prayer. Although Emma had to come along on our date, it was a much needed time together. Chandler and I were able to clear the air, discuss some of his concerns and    feelings, and ask God to help us both. He explained that he was disappointed that he was the only one of two kids in his class to not make honor roll last quarter. While I told him that I could understand  his disappointment, the truth of the matter is that I don’t care too much about honor roll. What I do care about is...where you honest? Were you kind? Did you honor Christ with your words and your actions? Yes, honor roll would be nice, but that’s not the thing that matters in eternity! He made honor roll in all his subjects, except one, so therefore, no honor roll certificate. I explained to him that Roger and I expect him to do his best. And while we would enjoy seeing him get that temporal satisfaction in a job well done through a certificate, as his parents we are far more concerned with preparing him to build and improve upon the character traits that Christ desires us to have in our
lives! I apologized for getting angry, and Chandler apologized for not listening. The day started off as a terrible mess, but God has a way of making things new.


Later on Thursday afternoon, Emma was able to spend some time at a friends house, and I was able to finish up some last minute details for the program. Allison and I were actually able to squeeze in a quick lunch together before wrapping up some last minute prep details for Friday. I’m not sure I was much of a blessing to Allison, but she certainly was to me. I needed someone to listen to me, pray for me, and encourage me. I’m thankful for that opportunity.


Friday was upon us before we could even blink...were we ready?! Ready or not, today was THE day! The day that has been long anticipated, since before even the school year began. I was up early because well, I couldn’t sleep, and secondly, I wanted to make sure to get in God’s Word! We were at
school well before school started and that included a stop a Walmart to pick up something I needed  for the day! Breakfast was biscuits at McDonald’s, which aren’t the most nutritious choice, but everyone was fed. The students all looked so nice dressed up in their chapel attire, and they seemed excited and calm at the same time. The morning program went relatively smoothly, and the students remembered what to do for the most part. One young boy accidentally threw his handbell during their handbell song, but he picked it up and kept going! I was very proud watching all their hard work come to fruition! The seven boys in Garett’s class sang a song together during the program. While it might not be completely in unison, it was beautiful. They sang “Happy Birthday, Jesus” and they have come such a long way from the first time we practiced it. I know that God can do great things through the lives of these young men if they will be sold out to Jesus.

After the program, I helped prepare for hot lunch, and then Emma was able to spend the afternoon with Lucy! She certainly enjoys it, and I was able to go home. I got in a run, prepared a dessert for
after the Christmas program, and spent some time settling my mind. I felt like such a burden was lifted after the morning program, and I was excited to see the students perform that night.

Friday night, December 7, this was the night that we have worked towards the past twelve weeks. The auditorium started filling up well before six pm. Grandparents, parents, family and friends filled up most of the room. My kids all mentioned that they wished that Nana and Papa could’ve been there, but they were happy to see Mr. Kevin and Mrs. Teri there to watch their program. My sister and her husband came as well. Emma did a good job reciting Luke 2 with the preschool class, and then the students did their program. I had a hard time not crying as the program came to a close. These students had done what I had asked, and while they might not have always wanted to do what I asked, they did it. I am blessed to work alongside these students and staff. The staff poured their love on me through cards, flowers, and even a certificate for a massage. I am so blessed! Garett’s class gave me flowers, a card, chocolates and a coffee mug. Chandler’s teacher gave me a bouquet of roses, and
Wyatt and Travis class wrote out the sweetest card for me. I enjoyed reading through their notes to  me. Even the Kindergarten and First Grade wrote me a card! My friend, Claire blessed me with a  beautiful planter of flowers. It was truly a wonderful close to a very special event! I don’t know what the future holds, but I certainly treasure the memories that I’ve created while teaching music classes.

As with all big events, it’s not just the set up and event, but also the clean up! Who likes that part?! We tried to get a lot of it done before we went home on Friday evening, but we were all really tired. Roger had already worked the past three days and he was working on Saturday. I knew that the kids and I would have to come back to church on Saturday to pick up everything, but for now, we just headed home. We celebrated with a supper of cereal, reading through the cards, and getting a good nights sleep! What a blessing!

On Saturday Roger had to work, so the kids and I went to the church to put the sanctuary back together for worship services the next day. Definitely not something that any of us were excited about doing, but hey, that’s life! We actually accomplished the job fairly quickly, and it was nice to have the boys along to help. We spent the rest of the day in low and slow mode at home, which was great for all of us.

This week found me at the nursing home twice with our school students. I’m sure some of them were a bit intimidated to go to the nursing home, but they did a great job! Both days were on the chillier side, but it was invigorating to walk with our students to the nursing home. On Thursday morning, we had a student who arrived at the nursing home and promptly threw up! Poor child! I’m thankful for the staff that can help with that because I’m a mess when it comes to certain smells! All in all, the students did a great job.

I have one more event tonight, and then it’s a smooth sail into Christmas...if such a thing exists! Our kids and a few from the school will be participating in a Christmas service in a small old church building. The building is a historic one and it is used every Christmas for a special service. This year our kids will be a part of the quoting of Luke 2 and singing a few songs. I’m excited for this opportunity for our children and it’s another way for them to serve others.

Our family was also blessed this week through the generosity of one of our dear church members and friend . This lady has blessed our children by interacting in their lives. She also has blessed them with Christmas presents that are wrapped and under our tree! Our children are so excited!

I am spending some of the day with my sister tomorrow and I am very excited about that. It’s been a while since we’ve spent time together, and I’m looking forward to lunch and visiting. Emma will be coming with us, and she is very excited to go Christmas shopping. Emma picked Garett’s name in our family name drawing, and she has been dreaming of buying him a present.

We love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment