Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, January 14, 2019

Passports and Thoughts!

 



 





2019 is here, and we are quickly approaching the middle of the month! So how about your New Years resolutions?! Still remember what they are/were? I long, long ago gave up make New Years Resolutions, and instead have chosen to set goals for myself and family. Of course, we will fall short in some of our goals, but if you aim for nothing, you will hit it every time!

Roger and I sit down every year and have a long heart-to-heart talk about financial goals, spiritual goals, family goals, etc. I should mention that we sit down more often than once a year to have a heart to heart talk! One of my big goals for our family was to be able to find a time to be consistent together in God’s Word. I do my devotions in the morning, preferably before the kids get up! The kids have their own quiet times, but I wanted us to find a time to do it together consistently! I’ve had huge goals in the past, which I think deterred our progress, so I need to find something manageable for all of our family. We came up with reading ten verses a day right at the supper table. I know, to some of you, that doesn’t sound like very much at all. However, I believe that God will also bless His Word, and He wants us to get in it. I’m happy to write that for the past twelve days, we have read every night! It’s been working out so smoothly that I know the Devil is going to get in the way soon! The kids often read far more than ten verses, but it gives as an opportunity to read and talk together. I think kids make habits faster than we realize because they are now coming to the table with their Bibles in hand. I’m excited to see how much of the New Testament we can read together this year. I would also appreciate your prayers as we continue on with this.

We have other goals too, but I must write about other news too! Last Sunday, January 6, I was asked to play the piano at an area church. Its an opportunity I enjoy, but it makes the Sunday a bit different. Garett had been asked to present his missions trip needs to the church, and I was going to miss it. That was a bit hard for me, but he did it! He told me he was a little nervous, and I helped him write down some sentences. Roger said that Garett read the sentences, and it was short. If you know Garett, he doesn’t read witha lot of expression! But the church people were kind and gracious to him. I also had the opportunity to make a meal for a family in our church that recently had a baby. Although it was a full Sunday, I’m thankful for all the opportunities we had to serve Jesus.

It was a busy week as Roger, Garett and I headed to New Hampshire on Monday. Garett needs a passport for his upcoming missions trip, and we needed to apply in person. Roger did all the gathering of paperwork, making of copies,  reading information, and it was the fastest appointment I’ve been at in a long time! I’m thankful that Annah was willing to take Emma after her pre-school class, and then the other boys also. It was a fun day for Roger and I ...and our chaperone! We enjoyed lots of time together, and Roger and I also realized how thankful we are for headphones! We had Garett put on headphones, because the ears were growing in the cornfield, if you know what I mean! We allowed him to play on the kindle once he did his school work, and that provided Roge and I the opportunity for deeper conversations. Without the heady, you could practically hear Garett leaning forward in the back seat to listen! Oh, the joys of kids! I am happy to say that Garett’s passport came in the mail last Thursday, so that’s another thing done! Chandler was riding a bike in the dark at his friends house on Monday. He slipped on a patch of ice, and scraped up his face. He said he had a headache but no signs of a concussion. Oh well...life as a boy! He didn’t sleep well though as he was up a lot, so I let him stay home on Tuesday.

Last Tuesday was a very snowy day, and I was thankful that Roger was home to take the kids to school. I don’t mind driving in the snow, but driving the 15 passenger van is a bit intimidating to me. The kids came home from school, and eagerly went outside to work on their ice rink. They’ve been flooding part of the back yard as they are working on a homemade rink. Yes, it’s a big mess! But you know what? They enjoy working on it, it keeps them busy, and they’re outside- all good things!

Allison and I (and Emma) escaped for part of the day on Thursday. I needed a few things for our upcoming trip to Haiti, and we wanted to check on some after Christmas sales. It was such a fun...and fast day! We did find some things I wanted to bring to Haiti, as well as gifts for our teacher appreciation baskets. We do baskets during teacher appreciation week, and its always nice to find stuff on sale! Allison and I had some conversations that were light hearted and fun, as well as the deep conversations that make you think. Such as...do believers actually bear each other’s burdens? We know it’s told to us in the Bible to bear each other burdens, but it seems to me that often Christians don’t want to share their shortcomings with each other. So instead of effectively bearing each other burdens, and covering each other in prayers, instead we give these vague prayer requests that lead everyone to wonder what is the actual prayer request! My desire is to be real and open with my life and my prayer requests. Obviously we need discernment in our lives with whom to share struggles, but it seems to me that the body of believers should be on our first line of resources for help and encouragement and real prayer. Just my two cents!

On Sunday Garett and I were given the opportunity to sing special music at church. Garett has many struggles in the education and learning area, but he is willing to sing. I’m so thankful for that! He works hard at it, and he has a good voice. I know his voice is getting ready to change, but I’m praying that by heaving him sing now, he will be able to get through that awkward stage when his voice changes. Our church family has been extremely kind and generous to Garett about his upcoming trip. God provided above and beyond what Garett even needed for the trip, and its been so encouraging to see Garett faithfully pray and thank God for His provisions! We serve a big, amazing, awesome God! I’m thankful for all the details that have been worked out and that God will continue to do.

This week is full of meetings, lesson planing for music classes, preparation work, and all the otherevery day details of life. I’m thankful that God has grace for every moment! Aren’t you?

Ephesians 2:7 “That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.”




No comments:

Post a Comment