Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Mishaps, Adventures and a Baptism!



 




Hooray! We are SO close to finishing up the school year! I know that many of you have been done for days, if not weeks, and I am a wee bit jealous! I don’t think I’ll ever understand the way the east coast sets up their school schedules. However, the alternative would be to school all the children myself-so I’m thankful for school!

This was a wild week! Last Monday, Wyatt and Travis had a field trip to the Maine Aquarium. As with most children, they LOVE to go on field trips! When I picked up the boys from school, I could tell that Travis  was not feeling great. We didn’t even make it out of the school driveway before Travis threw up! He said that he had a headache, and then his stomach was hurting. He didn’t want to tell his teacher because he was worried that he would be sent home for the field trip...that kid!

 Travis was feeling much better by Tuesday morning, but I knew that he should probably lay low. However, I had already committed to go on a field trip with Chandlers class! I took Travis out to the airport where Roger was working. I’m thankful that Travis had a place he could go for a few hours. Chandler’s field trip was local, so I knew I wouldn’t be gone too long. We picked up a fifteen passenger van from Roger’s great boss and then went to the school. We took all of the class, and the teacher, Emma, and my friend, Allison, on the field trip. This trip was to a hiking trail, which the kids really seemed to enjoy. Chandler managed to find an iPhone on one of the trails! That kid has an eye for spotting all kinds of things! He did the right thing by turning it in at the front desk. He told me he would’ve liked to have kept it, but he knew that wouldn’t have been the right thing to do. And sure enough, someone had already called looking for their phone. Emma did a great job walking the trails with the boys from Chandler’s class. She was a bit tuckered out, but she did it. After dropping the students back off at school, and helping them with making their own trail mix, Emma and I went to pick up Travis. He was feeling much better, and he was happily sitting in the office drinking soda! I was happy to head home to work on music lessons plans, laundry, VBS plans, and housework. Travis and Emma were happy to head home and play outside together. It was nice to hear them laugh...and make terribly, big, sloppy
messes...not so nice!


Wyatt had an incident on Tuesday night. As the weather has been slowly getting nicer, the boys have been playing hard outside after school every single day. The kids had a little time after supper, so I told them that they could go back outside. I also asked that they please try not to get too dirty! Just a few moments later, I hear Wyatt come running up the porch steps, “MOM! Help me! MOM!” As a mom of four boys, Ive come to recognize cries of anger, hurt, frustration, etc. However, there is a whole different level of cry for REAL hurt! Blood was streaming from all over his face. So much that it was hard to tell where the blood was coming from! I handed him a dish towel, grabbed ice, more towels, and had him sit down. Eventually we were able to figure out that his nose was the cause of the blood. According to Wyatt, his bike ran into a tree ....and he happened to be on the bike when the bike ran into the tree! The handlebars came up and hit him in the nose and just under his eye socket. His nose swelled up so big that I was worried that it was broken. Roger was at work, so I called my
sister, Hannah. She usually answers when I call her because I don’t call her! I generally send a text, but she says that she knows something is up when I call! Since we were able to get the bleeding to stop, and we knew that our only option would be a long wait in the Emergency Room, we decided to just wait until the morning. Wyatt didn’t sleep very well, as his face was so swollen.

Wednesday is my music class day. I also needed to see about getting Wyatt to the pediatrician office. Chandler woke up with a slight headache. I woke up just plain tired! Emma also had a preschool closing program at eleven. Thankfully, the teachers were all very understanding about the fact that I might need to skip or cut short a music class in order to get Wyatt into the pediatrician office. Roger had off on Wednesday, but he certainly wasn’t able to accomplish much! The pediatric office told me that there was an appointment available for 10:20am. This meant that I would need to either skip a music class or skip Emma’s program! Roger and I decided that I would take Wyatt to the doctors office and Roger would go to Emma’s program. I was a bit disappointed to miss Emma’s  program, but I had seen the program last year. Thankfully, the wait at the doctors office was not long.

The doctor examined Wyatt’s nose and eye, and she confirmed that Wyatt’s nose was not broken. She was a bit worried about the eye socket bone, so she wanted him to get that X-rayed. The back of Wyatts neck was sensitive to the touch, so she was a bit worried about his neck vertebra. So instead of being done, and able to head back to school, we instead headed to the hospital for x-rays. WHILE we were at the doctors office, Roger sent me a picture. Apparently Travis had scraped his fingers on the pavement, and his fingers looked liked he had grated them on a cheese grater!

Off to the hospital we went for X-rays. We were both delighted to find out that we didn’t have a terribly long time to wait. The X-rays were done quickly, and we were on our way. I was pretty sure that the xrays would show that everything was fine, but it would be good to have confirmation of that. Roger and I were both glad to hear that Wyatt had not broken his nose!

We dropped Wyatt back off at school, and picked up Emma. Emma had been glad that Roger had been able to see her program. We were about to head home, but instead decided to turn around and take our boys home. Since Roger had the day off and Wyatt was supposed to lay low; Travis had grated his fingers; Chandler had a headache, it seemed like a good day to go home! All of their teachers were willing to let the boys go home early as we are close to the end of the school year. Chandler’s teacher mentioned that he didn’t seem to be feeling well. Chandler had told his teacher that  he had a headache. Chandler was quiet on the way home, and he immediately crawled into his bed. When he gets these migraines, they seem to wipe him out completely! He threw up a couple of times, slept all afternoon, and then finally started to feel better. I wish we could find out what causes Chandler to get such migraines. He shows no other symptoms other than a terrible headache and then throws up. A few hours later, he will feel better. There was nothing wrong with Garett, but he was happy to come home anyways!

On Thursday it was Garett’s turn to have a field trip. His field trip was out to his teachers home for the day. Emma and I came along and although the day started out dreary, it turned into a beautiful day! We had a great time visiting, playing ball, hiking, and enjoying our time together. When I went to pick up other boys from school, my friend, Claire, brought me a bouquet of flowers. I do enjoy cut flowers, and they were a fun treat for me! I’m so blessed to have loving friends that love me and love our kids.

Friday...it was Friday! Chapel, Hot lunch, prepping for the last week of school, and all the other activities of a Friday.

Saturday we had the opportunity to go to the lake. Roger’s boss and wife have a cabin on the lake, and we were able to go there for part of the day. We raked leaves, had a cookout, and enjoyed one of the first days that felt like summer. The kids got in the lake to go swimming after working, but the water was frigid! It’ll be a while before the water warms up enough for me to want to go in it! I think we were able to be a blessing, and it was good to work together.

Sunday- I had the opportunity to play the piano for the last two Sundays at church, so that has been a special blessing to me. This Sunday Roger had off of work, so he led the singing at church. Its been a long, long time since I’ve played the piano and Roger has led the singing, but it was good to do it again.

After church we headed to the lake for the baptismal service. Our church had four young people that were going to be baptized. Travis had talked with Roger earlier this week about getting baptized. Travis talked with Pastor Mark. Travis doesn’t display a whole lot of emotions but it was a delight to my heart to have him be baptized. He is our fourth son to be baptized, and our hearts desire and prayer is that he would grow in his love for the Lord, and that he would desire to serve Jesus with all of his heart.

It was a busy, busy crazy week! So many experiences that I hadn’t planned on having, but we are blessed!

Our love,
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment