Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, September 13, 2020

School! Survival of Week One!

We have some crazy ideas together, but God is good! 

Beautiful day for a teen event at the lake! 

So thankful for Christ! 



 What a week! We are exhausted and tired, but we made it through the first week! We are thankful for the grace of God that continues to strengthen, sustain, and surround us. 

We started our week of school on Tuesday with bright and shiny faces. Since I am teaching kindergarten this year, we arrive at school earlier than in years past so that I have time to finish up last minute things for my classroom. We were all ready for school on Tuesday morning, and the staff met together to pray for the school year at 7:15am. As I listened to the prayers of my fellow teachers and friends, I was overwhelmed by the goodness of God. We didn’t know if in-school learning was even going to be possibly a few months ago, but God brought it to pass in His perfect timing. We needed several positions filled this year, and even at the 11th hour, so to speak, God provided for all our needs. He’s been so very faithful! 


After school on Tuesday, the first thing Chandler said to me, “Mom, you’ve got to see my hands! They’ve never been this clean!” I got a chuckle out of his clean hands. One of the things that we are increasing this year is good hand hygiene, so everyone has lots of hand washing! Three of our five kids came home with headaches, and one of the three had a migraine. Wyatt is not usually the child who gets a migraine, but he had a very intense headache on Tuesday. Our kids were ready for bed by 7:30pm, and there were no complaints about going to bed! 

We had Landon, the boys cousin, here for a few days this past week. They all enjoyed time outside, lots of food, lots of time playing badminton, and laughter. While it was a crazy week, we are thankful for family. 

I’ve enjoyed teaching the kindergarten class this week. We learned a lot about school routines, classroom expectations, a nature walk observing colors in God’s creation, scissor practice, shapes, songs, art, gym, and our first chapel. It was a full four days of school! I’m thankful for the opportunity to teach this class, and I would appreciate your prayers for me as I teach. 

On Thursday afternoon we had our first soccer practice. I had three very excited boys! Travis is not quite old enough, but he was happy to watch the practice. I’m thankful that this opportunity has been presented for our students, as well as for the many parents that are needed to help this happen. It’s going to be a great opportunity this fall. 

We had a teen activity on Saturday to wrap up our summer weeks of teen group. Our friends, Allison and Jason, hosted the activity at their cottage on the lake. We had a bunch of teens show up to play games, fish, swim...and eat! Did I mention eating?! They surely ate a lot of food! Allison and I decided that we would grill hamburgers and hotdogs. Allison was having trouble starting the grill, but we could faintly smell propane. I don’t grill at our house as I have a bunch of boys that are always happy to grill food. So the first mistake was offering to help! However, after checking to see that the propane was on, and pushing the starter button, I used a lighter to light the grill! Boy, did it light! Wow! Thankfully, God protects us even when we don’t make the wisest choices! However, the hamburgers that Allison grilled sure did taste good! It was a fun afternoon, and probably one of our “good, bad ideas”. Allison and I often talk about our good ideas that really are great ideas, but the timing or situations sometimes make them “bad”. Having a teen activity after we were tired out from the first week of school made this one of our “good, bad ideas”. However, the teens enjoyed it, we had a great time visiting and laughing together, cooking food, and spending time with the teen group. We are happy that we did it, thankful for our pastor who drove out the church van, and for a great group of teens! 

Today was our dedication Sunday for the school year. All our teachers were invited to come to the worship service today, and we had a special time of prayer over the school, teachers, staff, students, and parents. Our children also sang special music. I don’t think that any of them were necessarily jumping for joy at the opportunity to provide special music, but they did it! I was so proud of each of them for using their voices to sing unto the Lord. I noticed that Emma sang without shoes, and Travis kept his hands in his pockets the whole time. On the way home, I asked him about why he kept his hands in his pockets. Apparently the draw string to his pants was broken, and he was worried that he was going to lose his pants! That kid has more wardrobe malfunctions than any kid I know! This is also the child that tied the knot in his wiseman costume so tight that we had to cut it off. This is the child that got his finger tied into the drawstring of his pants when he was supposed to be playing a chime for special music! Oh, the laughter! He wasn’t delighted to sing, but he did it anyways. I sure am thankful for each of our children.

The video below is from our church service. You are welcome to watch all of it, but the childrens’ music is at about thirty minutes into the video. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment