Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Unexpected Blessings, Discouragements, and our Faithful God!



                                   Soccer Fun! (Photo credit: Emma Philbrook) 
Fun with the 3D pen! 





                                                   Another beautiful spot in Maine! Our away soccer field on Saturday. 


                     Garett is the soccer goalie. (Photo credit: Emma Philbrook) 

 One more week of soccer season! The three older boys have really enjoyed playing, and Travis is happy to come to practices and play whenever he gets the opportunity. The boys have really improved in the past few weeks, and I am so thankful for this opportunity for them. They tied a game last Monday, they won a game on Thursday; the lost a game on Saturday, and also lost a game on Columbus Day. However, what I do see in the team is a marked improvement in sportsmanship, consideration of others, and a lot less whining and complaining....praise the Lord! The team has learned a lot about the game of soccer and working together. I am so thankful for the coach and all his work with the team. 

We had a long weekend last weekend, as we had Friday as a teachers inservice day and then Monday was Columbus Day. However, it was a crazy busy weekend with an away soccer game on Saturday, church on Sunday and another soccer game on Monday. Roger was working on Saturday, so I ended up taking all the kids with me to the soccer game. I drove the church van, and my friend Ashley drove her van with a bunch of my kids and hers also. I hadn’t planned on going to the game, but then someone was needed to drive the church van, and there I was! We left at 9:00am, and we were back in the church parking lot by 3:30pm. Whew!! We had enough players for Saturday’s game, but we were missing a few kids. We only had two subs for the bench, and then one of our players wasn’t feeling well. Our coach asked the other team if they would mind if Travis played on our team even though he’s only in fourth grade. They said he could play, and that made Travis’s day! He was thrilled!! He did really well, and played the whole second half of the game. The team hung in there though, and we lost 4-2. But it was a game well played! 

On Monday we had another soccer game, but this one was on our home field. We played this team last week, and we tied the game with three overtime periods. However, we didn’t manage to pull that off on Monday, but the team still gave it their best effort. One of our players had forgotten her soccer cleats, but Travis had brought along mine (just in case he got to play again), so that worked out for one of our players to borrow my cleats. Last Monday when we played this team, one of the boys had on shorts that were about to fall off. I had borrowed a chair from my friend, Hannah, and I ended up taking the draw string out of the camp chair bag to use for a way to tighten the shorts. Oh yes, improvisation is sometimes the name of the game! 

One of our children is still very much struggling with school. A lot of it has to do with classroom dynamics, personalities, and life situations. This child comes to school because he has really enjoyed playing soccer, so I am praying that God brings along something else that he would really, really enjoy. This particular child has often been discouraged lately, and it’s hard to know sometimes what to do as a parent. I’m telling you that parenting is the hardest job, I’ll ever do! I had planned to coordinate  a Teacher/parent conference, but God just plopped an opportunity to talk to his teacher in my lap this morning. God knew that I needed to talk to this child’s teacher, and it was a good conversation. I cried....nothing new there, but I could see tears in the eyes of the teacher. I was reminded again of how much this child’s teacher also cares for the students in her classroom. We are so very blessed to have this experience to enroll our children in a private Christian school. It’s not without its struggles, but God is so faithful! 

Our governor came out with her “stage four” guidelines for our state during the Coronavirus. While our numbers clearly do not dictate a need for mandatory masks, she has now decided that private schools also need to mask their students. I about became unglued as I read through the article. Fourth Amendment anyone?! Hippa Privacy Act?! Oh, it’s been a week, that’s for sure! I again fall back into the protection of my Father’s arms and rest in the confidence that He is unchanging!  

God also provided a few unexpected blessings this week. Last week, when we went over to a friends house, Chandler was given a turtle. He’s been keeping it in an animal cracker container, but he really needed a tank for his turtle. We didn’t want to spend too much money, so we’ve kinda just be waiting to see what pops up. Well, Roger happened to spot two free fish tanks beside the road a few days ago!! The aquarium has lights, rocks, fake plants...everything! Chandler has a tank for his turtle, and it looks like the kindergarten classroom will be getting a pet fish!! God is so good! 

Several months ago (before Covid), the boys were at a birthday party. The child received a 3D pen for a gift, and my kids were in awe of all that this cool pen could do. We looked it up online, but the pen costs like $50.00! No way! Not even for a birthday gift! The boys put it out of their minds, but this week I popped into Goodwill to look for some books for my classroom. I found a 3D pen in the box, with a lot of extras included. And it cost $5.00! The boys have been having so much fun with that pen, and it was such a fun surprise! We looked up the retail value of the pen and the extras, and it costs $85.00 on Amazon! Now God totally did not have to provide the fish tank or the 3D pen, but He did! He’s such a good, good Father to His children! We are so blessed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment