Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, November 2, 2020

Soccer, Victories, Elections!

 


So thankful for these boys! 


Emma was “teaching” school using my teacher’s manual! 

A blessing from a friend. 


I feel like I have so much to write about, and I know I’m going to re-read this post in a few hours and be reminded of everything that I meant to write about! 

What a week it has been! (You probably inserted an eye-roll there thinking, “she says that ALL the time”!)  But we’ve wrapped up the soccer season, prepared a song for Veteran’s Day, had an impromptu supper get together with some friends, finally turned on the heat at our house, and so much more! 

The boys had their last soccer game last Tuesday, and we almost won...but not quite! However, we did get Chinese take-out to celebrate the end of the season, and we ate it at Mrs. Terri’s house. The kids always enjoy their time with Mrs. Terri, and it’s always nice to go to someone else’s house! 

Last Wednesday I taught music classes, and we worked on the song “God Bless America”. I don’t know if you know, but that song is actually written as a prayer for our nation. The verse to the song is not very well-known, but the words to that song can bring me to tears almost every time. In fact, we sang the song in our church on Sunday morning, and I just had to stop singing. “God bless America, Land that I love. Stand beside her and guide her through the night with a light from above...” Even as I write this, I’m reminded of how truly blessed I am to live in America. There is chaos, confusion, and destruction running rampant in parts of our country, but seriously, I love America. It’s not my God, it’s not my Savior, but it is the land that I love. 

Garett caught a cold on Thursday, so he had to miss the end-of the season barbecue for the soccer team on Friday. He was disappointed, and I was disappointed for him. However, he had a good attitude about it, and I’m thankful that he is old enough to be left at home on his own for a bit! It was about 39 degrees on Friday afternoon, but we still gathered after school for a parent/player scrimmage. It was a lot of fun, and I’m thankful that we could run around and be warm! It was also nice to wrap up the season with a fun event, and I am thankful that the season is over! It’s going to be glorious to go home on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays right after school! 

Roger caught a cold on Saturday, so he and Garett were both kinda down for the day. It was nice to have a low -key day. It was Halloween, but the only one that remembered was Emma. I’ll just look for some Halloween candy on clearance. A dear lady in our church gave our children some money for Halloween candy, and the kids decided that they would rather wait until after Halloween to spend it as then they can get twice as much! One of Travis’s friends asked him what he was going to be for Halloween. Travis gave his standard yearly reply, “I’ll be myself, of course. Why would I want to be anything else?!” Yes, that sounds like Travis! 

Earlier this week, Travis asked for a refund on his quarter. We have these snack boxes at school in which the students can pay a quarter and then pick out a snack. Travis had asked me for a quarter for a snack, so I had given him one last week. A few days later he asked me for a refund on his quarter! “What? Why?” He replied that he had picked out a snack and it was “terrible”. I asked him what was wrong with his snack, and he replied that his cookies tasted like “Church cookies”! He said that sometimes “church cookies” taste pretty bad, and the cookies from the snack box tasted like those. I about spit out my water as I listened to him describe his impression and his need for a refund on his quarter! 

Roger and Garett both stayed home from church on Sunday, as they were still congested. This is a year that we need to be very careful with colds and germs, so as much as they were disappointed to miss church, it was necessary. As we sang “God Bless America”, I caught the eye of one of the oldest gentlemen in our congregation. This man is a WWII veteran, and one of my friends. His eye closed but not before I noticed the tears forming, and that was my undoing too. This man had fought for our countries freedoms, his wife died about two years ago, and I know he is very concerned for our country. These are the heroes of our country, in my opinion. Our school is creating small “thank-you” bags for veterans, and I hope we can be a small blessing to those who have given so much to our country. 

I was also blessed to discover two loaves of homemade bread and a jar of jam with my name on it at school last week. A dear friend, Robin, has made bread for the staff at our school, and it was my turn for fresh bread. It was perfect timing too as we’ve been studying the food pyramid in our class. It was a delightful treat, and such a sweet reminder of how much God loves me. 

Last week, Chandler had our new staff member, Mr. Waugh, as his teacher for a few days. Chandler’s teacher was not feeling well, so Mr. Waugh subbed in the seventh grade class. Garett was happy because his teacher let him be in the seventh grade class on Thursday. Mr. Waugh has been such a great addition to our school, and I am so thankful for his positive mentorship on our sons. While we recognize that we, as parents, have the most influence on our children,  it’s always so wonderful when they can have Christ-like mentorship in their lives. Mr. Waugh has also taken on teaching the seventh and eighth grade boys Sunday school class, and our boys have certainly been enjoying that. It’s a wonderful thing when our boys want to go to church and Sunday school, and I know that they are being challenged through God’s Word. As parents, we are very thankful for these positive changes in our boys lives. It’s been a rough start to the school year for several of our children, so it’s a balm to a weary soul to see God still at work. 

Election....tomorrow! Our students will be singing, “God Bless America” tomorrow, and it’s fitting that this will take place on voting day. You’ve read all the articles, you’re probably fed up with politics, you’ve probably already decided who you are going to vote for, and maybe you’re over the whole thing! I’ve been praying fervently for the election tomorrow. I’m praying for a landslide victory, and I’m praying for President Trump to win! I’ll always vote for the candidate who is pro-life, protects our second amendment, wants to protect our borders, and is for the American people. Perfect? Far from it! I hope that you can separate the man from the politics. The lives of literally millions of unborn babies are dependent upon someone defending them! Whatever you do tomorrow, please exercise your right to vote! It’s a right that we may not have for very long if we don’t protect it and preserve it. Here in Maine we are up against ranked choice voting, which is wrong and unconstitutional! 

Also, in other news in Maine...our governor has declared another state of emergency! What?! Oh, yes! This is number seven or is it eight? I cant remember anymore! It’s a money grabbing scheme, and while I believe that Covid is real and active, I believe that the governor should have checks and balances for her actions. While we don’t get to vote on a governor tomorrow, I am praying for several small local elections that perhaps can influence some of our governors decisions. 

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, God is already there! I am so thankful that He sees the storm from the other side. He knows what tomorrow looks like, and He goes before us. Let us be diligent to storm the gates of heaven with our prayers. And please....vote! 

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment