Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, January 28, 2023

January Activities and Garett’s Decision

 The month of January has actually gone by fairly quickly- usually this month can have a tendency to drag on and on! We are about six weeks from the end of basketball season, and then the start of baseball season. Garett and Chandler have enjoyed playing basketball, but I think they’re looking forward to baseball, the opportunity to be outside more, and a sport that they have a little more experience with playing. Chandler has improved a lot with his basketball skills, and he no longer looks quite so nervous when he gets out on the court. Hustling is not Garett’s strong suit nor is making quick decisions and basketball involves both! However, we’ve been faithfully attending games, and if nothing else, our children will remember our presence - I hope! 


                                            Happy 15th birthday Chandler! We love this young man! 

Last week, Garett made a big decision in his life. Last Friday, the student pastor asked me if Garett had talked to me about the decision he had made on Wednesday during chapel. I was like, “no, he has not.” The pastor encouraged me to ask Garett about his decision. The opportunity presented itself on Saturday night, as Roger and I were talking to Garett. I asked him about chapel on Wednesday and a decision he had made. At first he looked confused, and then his face cleared and he said, “Oh, yeah! I went forward at the invitation. Pastor Alex came over to talk to me and asked me if I had any questions. I said that I wasn’t sure about my salvation. Pastor Alex told me to come up to his office and he would answer my questions with Scripture. So after lunch, I did. Pastor Alex showed me from the Bible how I can be positive about my salvation. And now I’m sure.” I was about in tears over hearing Garett’s testimony and how the Holy Spirit was working in his life. I asked him why he didn’t come to Roger or I, and he said, “It’s not that I didn’t think you had the answers, but sometimes it’s nice to talk to someone other than my parents.” Well, I can agree with that. I asked him why he hadn’t mentioned it to us, and he was like, “well, it’s settled in my heart and mind. I don’t have any doubts anymore and I guess it just didn’t occur to me to mention it!” Um, my dear son, these are the types of things that I definitely want to hear about! We’ve been praying for all our teenage boys as of late. I know that both Roger and I made assurances of our salvation during our teen years, and we’ve been praying for the Holy Spirit to work in the lives of our children. Sometimes we just have to keep putting opportunities in front of them where the Holy Spirit can  continue to nudge and prick their conscience. We are thankful for teachers, coaches, and those who provide mentorship and discipleship to our children. 


                                     Good fellowship makes the long nights of basketball a lot more fun!!

We’ve had a few late nights with basketball games, school events, and other things happening. Last weekend we had a few families from church over to our house for fellowship and food. We ten kids and six adults, so the house was full of excitement! Our friends, the Wades, brought some Chick-fil-A sweet tea, cookies and bread, and the Everetts brought some food as well. We had a good time of fellowship and the ladies spent some time praying for some things that have been trying in our lives. On Monday, it was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day so the students had off. I went in to school to work for a few hours as we are preparing for our school accreditation in a few short weeks- and that is a big undertaking! 

On Monday afternoon, we went bowling with the Everett family. I’m a terrible bowler and I hate to lose, but I definitely lost! I think even Emma beat me at bowling! Oh well! We had fun, lots of laughter and fellowship. We’ve enjoyed getting to know the Everett family and we are thankful for their friendship to our family. We have several children that are similar in ages, and Laura and I have also been getting together once a week to go walking and pray together. Usually we get in about three miles while waiting for our kids to finish up sports practice and then we spend some time praying. We’ve never run out of things to pray for or things to talk about. 



Chandler told me on Tuesday that there were some kids in his class that were teasing him about liking Ava (one of the Everett girls). I asked him how he felt about it. He replied, “those particular kids are always making dumb comments, so I guess they’ve just found one more thing to be dumb about.” Roger and I encouraged him to stay kind and gracious and to remember the feelings of others too. Roger and I have been working hard about encouraging our teens to have healthy relationships with the opposite sex. Since the Everett’s and us are good friends, I guess it stands to reason that our kids might be teased about something like this. However, both Chandler and Ava have continued to be kind and polite to each other, and they both seem to just let it roll like water off a duck’s back. I remember my dad making that statement when we were growing up, “Just let it roll off like water off a duck’s back. You don’t need to be easily offended.” 

God has provided multiple opportunities to pray with ladies in my life lately. On Thursday we had a very rough morning on the way to school. One of my children, in particular, does not like to admit when he is wrong. Instead of just admitting and apologizing, I about lose my sanctification while trying to have a conversation with him! We parted ways with both of us saying, “I love you,” but it wasn’t’ extremely heart felt. I felt the Holy Spirit convicting me, so I made my way to that son’s classroom to apologize for the way I handled the situation. When I arrived in the library, I found that my friend, Jen, had also had a very rough morning with her son. We were both practically in tears, and I said, “The only thing that I know to do is to keep praying.” So we spent some time in prayer before our library classes began. I’ve also been praying with one of the teachers at school every morning. She is facing a particular trial in her life, so I’ve been popping in every morning to pray. God hasn’t specifically answered our prayers yet, but we know that He is still working! We are trusting Him while we wait. I’m not the most patient person, and I want God to solve this situation right now, but while we wait, we will pray! 


While we know that our families, churches, and Christian schools are under constant attack from Satan, there are times where that force feels stronger. We are definitely in one of those trenches right now, and the only thing to do is to cling to the Rock. I am so thankful that God continues to be our shelter in the storm, our Fortress, our Deliverer, our Strong Tower, and the one in whom I trust! I am so thankful for opportunities to pray. We can come boldly to His Throne where we know that mercy abounds. 

This weekend Roger and I have the opportunity to attend a marriage retreat- it’s been a long time since we’ve been on one. When we committed to go, we weren’t sure who was going to watch our kids. We are very particular about who they can stay with and who can watch them. However, God worked out all the details! Chandler and Garett are staying home by themselves, but we have a friend who will be checking in with them. And today, Friday, Garett and Chandler will be spending the day with some great friends of ours, the Everett Family. Chandler’s 15th birthday was yesterday, and the Everett’s have some special plans for him today. Roger and I are so thankful for the mentorship and discipleship of other’s in our children’s lives. Roger and I left on Chandler’s birthday, so I told him we would celebrate at another time. He was totally fine with that especially as this is the son that does not like extra attention! Wyatt and Travis both went with some school friends while we are away. And Emma went home with a school friend also. I don’t know that the kids have ever been so spread apart while we are away, but we are thankful that God worked out the details so that Roger and I could get away for the marriage retreat. When I called Garett last night to let him know that we had arrived at the hotel, he said that he and chandler were eating supper. I asked him what they had made for supper- chicken. Okay, what else? He sounds surprised and said, “What’s wrong with chicken?” Well, nothing! But usually you have something to go with it! Oh well! They won’t starve, and they’re eating protein! It’s different than how I would do it, but that’s okay. This is the first time we’ve left the boys on their own for a few days, so I think my mama’s heart is struggling a little bit with how fast that creeped up on us! Time flies! 

This song has blessed me time and time again. I’ll never forget the voices of my kindergarten class singing “Jesus, thank you” last year. Regardless of the chaos around me, Jesus reigns supreme and I can thank Him! 



    Photo credit: bereaproject.org 



No comments:

Post a Comment