Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Page, Arizona

                    
   

Life has been a whirlwind since we arrived on Monday night. After working to get the trailer cool enough that we all could get some rest, Roger and I brought in the essential things we needed and climbed into bed. 

On Tuesday morning the kids slept in for a little bit...until 6:30! :) Roger and I woke up around 5:30 to puddles on the floor in the living room where the swamp cooler had leaked through the vents. After cleaning that up, we went on a short walk around the neighborhood and to the airport. When the kids woke up, they all went on an early morning walk to the airport with daddy. All of the boys were very excited about seeing where dad works, and they were even more excited that they didn't have to travel in the vehicle! By the time everyone had been to the airport, everyone was ready to eat breakfast. Roger had a few groceries, but we didn't have any milk. So we decided to feed the kids McDonalds for breakfast and then pick up a few groceries. At breakfast time, I told the kids that this would be our last treat for a while because we were going to need to start watching our money. Wyatt promptly replied, "I can still have a treat, because I still have money in my piggy bank!" :) 

After breakfast, we walked across the street to Wal mart. We bought a few groceries, and then we headed for a drive around Page. Roger took us to see the dam at Lake Powell, and we went to check out a few hiking trails. Roger showed the kids a swimming area at the lake, and we decided that we would come back to go swimming in the evening. 

Once we arrived home, we worked on unloading the trailer..wow! I think I way OVER estimated how much we would need in five months. We will be the cleanest people in Page with as much soap and bathroom products as I brought with us! I brought quite a bit of the items I had gotten free or cheap with coupons, and we will have plenty! We also have enough dry grocery products to last us for over a month, and we should only need to buy fresh groceries and some meat. 

The assistant chief pilot and his wife brought us some lunch. It was very thoughtful of them to make a meal for us. I think they might think we eat more than we do as we will be eating spaghetti for several meals...several meals! However, it was delicious, and we will enjoy it! 

After lunch Roger headed into work. He had a flight in the afternoon, and a seat was available for one of the boys. Wyatt was able to fly with his daddy on the flight, and he was thrilled! Garett and Chandler stayed at the airport and watched the planes take off. Garett is in his element! :) 

We headed for the lake as soon as Roger came home from work. Another pilot friend of Rogers came along with us to the lake. The water was so cool and refreshing, and all the kids loved it! Emma had to have a life jacket on because she has no fear of the water. And because the lake is created by the dam, the lake covered the canyons. That being said, the water can drop off abruptly. We had a wonderful time with Roger and the kids can't wait to go again. We had brought water shoes for each of the kids since the lake bed can be a little rough. Travis took off his water shoes shortly after we arrived at the beach. When I asked him why he took off his water shoes he replied, "They don't work, mom. The water keeps on getting in my shoe!" I could only laugh at his logic and just let him be. :) 

                  

Well, for our first supper meal in our home in Arizona, we had company. Anyone who knows me, knows that this makes me happy. I love to feed people, have people in our home, and to cook for others. I didn't cook supper though because we had leftover spaghetti. :) Roger's pilot friend, Jon, came over for supper, and we enjoyed a meal together. 

We still have so much to unpack and put away, but the day is over and it's time for bed. 

Wednesday, June 24
There are certain things that I took for granted in our home in Wisconsin. I should've appreciated our washer and dryer more along with dressers and closets. As I empty out the totes that we brought games, school books, food, and other items in to Arizona, I've been giving each boy a tote for their clothes. Since we have very, very limited storage and no dressers, each person has a tote to put their clothes into. It's definitely not a very homey trailer, and I wish I would've brought less soap and more items to make it homey. :) Oh well, it will be fine. 

It was an interesting morning as the swamp cooler is still having issues, the bathroom sink was leaking,and the toilet was plugged. However, most of the items are now out of the trailer, and I've been working hard a putting everything away. Roger had an early morning flight, so he was at the airport at seven. Garett went along to watch the airplanes land and take off while he waited for Roger. The time zone difference is really making a difference in our kids sleeping habits, and they were all up by the time I got back from my run at six. I can see I'm going to have to make some adjustments to our schedule! 

We had brunch when Roger came home around ten, and then it was an early nap time for everyone. Everyone took a nap except for Wyatt and Chandler, so I'm sure they'll be ready for bed early! We are going over to the other pilots house for supper tonight. When I asked what I should bring, Jon looked surprised. He had planned to have grilled meat for supper...and more meat...:) I suggested that I could bring a few things as sides, and he said that would be great. So, I'm back to cooking in our kitchen in a different state, but it makes me happy. :) 

We went to the other pilots house for dinner, and I realized that I have much to be thankful for in our trailer. The swamp cooler might have issues, and the yard is a jungle, but the other house is not in a great part of town, the yard is worse, the people that are neighbors look like "interesting characters", and I decided to be thankful for what I have in our trailer! 

We are going hiking tonight after it cools off a bit. The boys want to go to the lake to go swimming again, but I think we will do a hike tonight. They are enjoying all the family activities and so am I. We have plans for hiking, swimming, and biking in the next few days and weeks. It's a good time for us to reconnect as a family as these next two months are slow flying months for Roger. July is usually as very slow month since the heat is so extreme. 

Thursday, June 26
Roger had absolutely no flights today, so we spent the entire day as a complete family! I am very thankful that Roger is on salary pay or it would be a little bit worrisome without having any work. It's a good time for us to be together as a family though as the flights are slow.

I love schedules and routines, but this week we are just being flexible and going with the flow. The boys are just starting to realize that Dad is going to be around for a long time and that they don't have to fit everything into one day. :) 

We did laundry today, visited a few thrift stores, went to the lake to swim, took a hike, and walked to the airport. Doing our laundry once a week at the laundromat will be a change, but it will work. The boys weren't very excited about doing laundry, but it's a necessary thing! While we were at the laundromat, Travis had to go to the bathroom. I told Chandler to take him to the bathroom, but they came back just a few minutes later. Travis was holding himself and really needed to go potty. Before I could say anything, Chandler said that they couldn't use the bathroom because they didn't have a costume...say what?! I was completely confused until I realized that Chandler had misread the sign. The sign stated "For customers only" but Chandler took it to mean that he needed a costume to use the potty! After we cleared up that misunderstanding, we were good to go! :) Ahh....I love these kids! 

We finished up the laundry, went home to eat lunch and have rest time. Rogers pilot friend, Jon, showed up right around nap time, so Emma was the only one who got a nap. It was late afternoon when we decided to take the kids to the lake to swim. It was hot here today and the thermometer read 108 degrees on the way to the lake. The kids had a great time splashing in the water and playing in the sand. Of course, they came home starving! We had a quick meal of tacos before they boys asked if we could go on a hike. We decided that we could do a short hike tonight. We drove out to the Horseshoe Bend hiking trail, and took the trail out to the horseshoe. It's a place where the Colorado River curves around a large piece of the canyon creating a horseshoe look. It's also an 800 foot drop to the Colorado River below and there aren't any guard rails. It's definitely a place for obedient children and watchful parents! I'm not going to lie- being that high up made me nervous with the kids! It's a beautiful hike though and the kids enjoyed it immensely. I'm very thankful for my Ergo baby carrier, as it makes hiking with Emma much easier. And since I've used it since she was very little, she usually doesn't protest about going in it. It was a good hike...and all the kids came back starving! :) 

We are adjusting well, enjoying our time together, and soaking up memories. The boys are loving all the time with daddy, and I'm loving the fact that they love him! It's not been without its struggles though as the kids adjust to two-parent parenting, and the time change, and a new house, and a different climate, and a different schedule, and a new church, and etc. 

Thank you for your continued prayers as we search for a church, adjust to a new routine, and work together as a family. 

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment