Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Thursday, January 18, 2018

A New Year

Can you believe that we are already two weeks into the new year?! 2018 is already here! While I’ve been busy getting ready for the missions trip to Haiti, we’ve been busy with other activities as a family.

 
The Pantry was a catch-all over Christmas, but now it is tidy again! 




We returned to school on January 2, the kids had their first school ice skating lesson on January 3, we had a snow day on January 4, and a delay start day on January 5! So the first week back to school was a bit crazy!

I have to admit though that we certainly enjoyed the snow day! Roger didn’t have to go into work, the snow was beautiful, and we had a great day together! The boys build up their snow forts, and built a snowboard ramp off of the picnic table. We also made  many, many snowshoe trails in the woods. Then the weather turned really cold for a few days, then it was really warm for a few days, and it rained! So, now we are back to no snow, as of Monday  but the weather is cold again! The kids are praying for more snow, and while I don’t mind the snow, I don’t want to use any more snow days!



Last week (January 8-12) we managed to get in all five days of school! However, music class was a bit tricky for me to coordinate last week. Chandler came down with a head cold, and he did not sleep good last Sunday night (1/7). I teach music classes on Mondays, but since Chandler wasn’t feeling well and Roger was working, I had to cancel music classes on Monday. It was good to spend a Monday at home, and I felt like the day was very productive. We’ve been eating through the pantry, so I was able to get it nicely organized again! And  I even got to visit on the phone with one of our dear friends from Alaska, Damaris. Chandler suffered through a head ache for most of the day, but he did feel much better on Tuesday.

The boys had their second ice skating lesson along with the rest of the school on Wednesday. (1/10) Roger had been able to go with them the week before, but this week he was working. Travis has been having speech lessons on Wednesday morning, and that has made him miss the bus to the ice skating rink. So I’ve been driving him over after his lessons, so that he doesn’t miss out on the fun. I went to each lesson last year with the kids, but I haven’t gone with them this year. I didn’t think the boys would mind if I didn’t come along, but since they have all asked me to come along this Wednesday, I’m going! However, Garett is wearing my ice skates this year so that means that I am out of skates! Thankfully, I can borrow some at the ice skating rink. These kids are growing so fast!!

Roger caught the cold on Wednesday, but he went to work anyways. He spent the day tired and cold, and he was very glad to come home. The flu has also been going around, but so far we have managed to escape that!

My friend, Annah, offered to watch Emma on Thursday morning so that I could teach music classes that day. Due to the rain the night before and the slippery road conditions, we had a one hour delay on Thursday morning. That actually messed up the music schedule a bit as I teach classes all morning long. I ended up skipping one of the classes, and shortening a few of the others, but I was able to teach music this week. I didn’t want to miss this week, as we had started back to school on a Tuesday after Christmas break. So I had already missed that music class, and the next week we had off for Martin Luther King day! I was thankful that Annah was able to watch Emma in the morning, so I could squeeze in the music classes. After teaching, I quickly picked up the food I needed to prepare for hot lunch, picked up Emma, ran home, made four pans of Mac n Cheese, and then picked up the boys from School...on time too! It was a busy day! Generally, I make extra of whatever we are having for hot lunch on Friday, and that is what we have for supper on Thursday night. The boys never seem  to mind having the same meals so close together!

Friday was quite a bit warmer as in almost fifty degrees! Although overcast, it was a nice day! I played the piano for chapel, Roger and I snuck away for a quick cup of coffee together, and then I  headed back to school to prepare for hot lunch. One of the best gifts I’ve ever received has been my nesco roaster. This week I roasted the vegetables for hot lunch in there, and it worked out so well that  I will definitely be doing that again!

After hot lunch, my friend, Sharon, and I went over to the home of one of our elderly church ladies. She was needing someone to clean her house as she was having over Family on Sunday. One of her daughters had recently passed away and the family would be coming  over after the funeral. To be honest, it’s not what I wanted to do on Friday afternoon, but she is a friend and she needed a blessing.  Thankfully, Sharon and I were able to get the rugs  vacuumed, kitchen cleaned and mopped, house dusted, and everything tidied up in a little over an hour. I know that this dear lady felt much better  about her home (although to be honest, her house was probably cleaner than mine is  before we even started cleaning!) Sharon and I had a few moments before we needed to be back at school, so we had a good time chatting over coffee. Roger had Friday off, so he had taken Emma home after hot lunch, and he met me back at the school to pick up the kids. Except...I forgot that it was Friday and the boys had piano lessons today! I was sooo thankful to go home!

Saturday was a chilly day! But we got to spend most of the day at home! Roger had to work on Saturday, but it was a fairly short day for him due to the weather. We met up with some friends later in the afternoon to go bowling together.    The Philbrook family and the Chappell family came as well, so we had twelve kids and six adults between us. The bowling place was not very full, and we sure did have a great time together. I had to let my competitive nature go as Emma wanted to try her hand at bowling, and she bowled with me! Oh well! I’m not a great bowler anyways, so it was fine! Garett can really throw that ball down the lane, and he beat both Roger and I! After bowling, we invited both families to come over to our house for supper. A few people weren’t able to come, but we ended up with ten kids and four adults for supper. I had gone grocery shopping today , so that made it much easier to have people over for supper! We had chili dogs, chips, and cheese and sausage. Nothing fancy, but no one seemed to mind! It was a good time of fellowship and fun together!

We had another day of school off on Monday in honor of Martin Luther King day. Roger was  working, but we had a good day. We had some friends over that used to come to the boys’ School, and we have kept in touch. It’s always good to catch up with friends that we don’t see as often, and I know the boys have missed seeing Wes and Levi every day at school. It was a fun day. The boys found a tiny patch of ice in the back woods, so they have made it into an ice skating rink...just use your imagination a lot! It’s more like a big puddle, but they have played out there the last few days. It makes me wonder how difficult would it be to flood a portion of our yard? Then I wouldn’t have to take them to the fire pond. Not that I mind doing that, but it’s definitely not Emma’s favorite thing to do!

Tuesday was back to school ...again! Roger had off today, and it was actually a very unproductive day for us. We spent the day around the house enjoying each other’s company, playing with Emma, and talking about our plans and goals for this year. (So I guess it was partially productive!) After we  picked up the kids from school we headed to one of the local ponds to ice skate with some friends from school. The ice isn’t that great since we had rain last week, but we’ve definitely skated in rougher ice! The boys didn’t mind as they were happy to have friends to play hockey with! Emma lasted for a little while, but she wasn’t crazy about it. She actually doesn’t have skates that fit her, and neither do I...since Garett is wearing them! I didn’t have ice skates for today, and I managed to get a wet foot within ten minutes of being at the pond. Oh well! I just wore one of Garett’s boots!  We had a good time, and I’m thankful for friends to do fun things with.

Wednesday was a snow day...again! We’ve now used up all the scheduled snow days into the calendar so anything used after today will mean an extra day in the spring! Roger still went to work on Wednesday as there was plenty to do with snow removal and paperwork. The boys really wanted me to take them to the pond to go ice skating, but that seemed like a bit of a crazy idea with the way the snow was coming down. We would’ve had to shovel it off to skate on Wednesday, and then when we want to use it next time, we will have to shovel again! Instead they just played it outside for most of the day rebuilding on their snow forts and using their imaginations. When Roger came home  from work we sat down for supper at the table together. Roger said he knew the boys had been outside for most of the day. I asked him how he knew that and he replied, “Well, we went through fourteen eggs and three dozen pancakes in one meal! I think they were hungry!” Yes, they were! I need to go grocery shopping again with all these days off they’ve had and all this outside play time! Oh well!

The snow is beautiful, and we are returning back to school today (Thursday). I’ve been preparing and making lists (and then losing the lists) for Haiti. I’m trying to make sure that all the bases are covered for while I’m gone to Haiti. It’ll all come together, but I’d like it to be as smooth as possible! Thank you for your continued prayers!
Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment