Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Returning to Haiti!



As many of you know, I took a missions trip to Haiti in January of 2017. The trip challenged me to grow in my walk with the Lord, opened my eyes to the needs of the Haitian people, and refreshed my faith. I knew when I left Haiti that I wanted to come back in 2018 should the Lord make that possible.

This is a video I made from last years Haiti trip, perhaps it will help you see why I want to return. Please watch it! 



And here I am writing about a trip I’m taking next month to go back to Haiti! It was a difficult decision to make about returning to Haiti because to be honest, I don’t yet have all the money. When it was time to purchase a plane ticket I had saved enough money to buy a ticket, but not the remainder needed. And as soon as I told my sister to purchase a ticket for me, Satan began to hurl all kinds of darts! “How are you going to get the money?” “What about leaving your kids?” “Is it right for you to go and not Roger?” And on and on and on.  

Let me backup a bit and say that missions trips are important to both Roger and I. We met on a missions trip in the northern part of Canada, and we’ve both been on a few over the years. When I came back from Haiti last time, I told Roger that I wanted him to come with me. I started saving coins, clipping coupons with a passion, and cutting out costs that weren’t necessary. But when push came to shove, and it was time to buy the tickets, we didn’t nearly enough for one of us let alone both of us. And since we have five wonderful children, but we also can’t manage to get a date night much     
less an overnight or ten for a missions trip, it was decided that we probably both could not go to Haiti. Roger doesn’t get paid vacation time at his work, so after much prayer and discussion we  bought one ticket to Haiti...mine. The truth is that we would both love for Roger to go to Haiti, but we’ve also discussed how much we’d like to take the boys on a missions trip in a few years. It’s important to me that Roger go on that missions trip with his sons in a few years, and it will be  expensive. So after much discussion and prayer and more discussion, we decided that I will return this year. Most likely neither of us will go on a missions trip for a few years as we work to save for when the boys can come along. I went on my first missions trip at age 13 and it changed my life. God has blessed me with the opportunity to live in America, but much of the world does not have the same privileges that we have here. I truly believe that taking our boys to Haiti would be a huge eye-opener to them and perhaps burden their hearts for those around them. 


So why return to Haiti? Aren’t there other missions trips to go on and help out with? Yes! Absolutely yes! But for me, Haiti is where God has burdened my heart and opened the door, and given me a desire to return to. These people are so poor that many of them can not provide proper clothing for their children, their diet is extremely limited, and yet they are happy people! The Haitian Christians love to sing, laugh, and worship the Lord. Their joy is not based on their outward circumstances and situations, but rather on the joy of Jesus. I have so much I can learn from them. It’s not that other missions trips aren’t important or that I don’t want to go on those trips, but these Haiti trips tug on your heart strings, open your eyes, and compels you to beg God to show you how you can meet some of their needs. I love the fact that we work with the national Haitian pastors, we eat Haitian food, we serve alongside them for the nine days that we are there. I’m not an overly talented person, I don’t have any medical experience, but I do know that I an original person created by God. I can provide an extra set of hands, give a child a treat, measure medicine and take a pee sample! 😀 I have an open heart, willing hands, and a desire to be a vessel used by God. 

So, will you pray with me? I have several requests. 
1) Pray that God will be glorified in this trip. Pray that we will have love, unity, and harmony among each of the team members. 
2) Pray for God’s protection as we travel...these roads and vehicles are nothing like those in the U.S.!!
3) Pray for wisdom for Pastor Kevin Faulde (he’s the one who organizes and sets much of this trip up) and also wisdom for the medical personnel. 
4) Pray that God will continue to provide for my financial need. We  have managed to pay for the plane ticket ($463.00) and for $400.00 of the trip cost. The total trip expense is $1,500.00  

I made quite a bit of the money I needed through a grocery rebate app called Ibotta. It’s an app that will give you money back for purchasing certain items. I combined the rebates offered with coupons and managed to snag some good deals as well as save money for this trip.  The link for ibotta is here...https://ibotta.com/ and my referral code is aefg. Feel free to use it! 

Also, if you feel that God would have you to give financially to this trip, I would be most appreciative. I realize that there are many wonderful people going on missions trips that also need money, but if God compels you to give to this trip, please do! I did a go fund me page last year, but I was disappointed with the percentage that they take out of the donations received. This year you can donate directly to Parakaleo. This is the missions organization that I am going with. All you need to do is make a note on your donation that this is for Sarah Robertson’s missions trip. http://www.parakaleointernational.com/donate

Blessings, 
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment