Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Summer Break & Upcoming Fun!

Last week we celebrated the Fourth of July, spent some time with friends, and spent a lot of time outside! Roger has been working long days as of late, but we are getting away for a few days at the end of this week with our family along with my sisters.

Last Tuesday the boys had some friends over for the day. Wes and Levi attended the boys school two years ago, but the boys have maintained the friendship. It was a good day for the boys and they enjoyed tromping around in the woods, nerf guns, being loud, and getting in the water at the park.

Wednesday was the Fourth of July, and our family was up early! A local town hosts a kids fun run (a mile long) and a 5k race. The boys and Emma all wanted to do the fun run (and it’s free), and the race started at 8:00am. It was already starting to get really warm by 8:00am. Chandler placed sixth last year, and he really wanted to try to do better this year. He was off like a shot with Wyatt and Travis not far behind! Roger had walked down the course a bit, and by the time Emma reached him she was crying! She wanted to be done with the fun run, and it wasn’t fun anymore! But you know, when you start something, you need to finish it! Roger refused to carry her, and she cried for most of the mile. She kept saying that her tummy was hurting, which it very well could have been with the heat and her anxiety! However, she did finish...and she wasn’t quite the last one! That might be her last “fun” run for a while, but she did do it! Garett was towards the end of the pack as well, but he doesn’t get too bothered by people beating him! Chandler finished second in the race with a time of 5:36! He was a little bummed that he couldn’t quite catch the first place runner, but he gave it his all. Wyatt finished sixth with Travis right on his heels! I had decided to run the 5k race, which isn’t a very long race, but  it was hot! I usually try to run right away in the morning, so by the time the race started at 8:30 the temperature was already getting uncomfortable. I finished fifth in my age group with a time of 25: 42.    I am about 30 seconds slower than I was two years ago, so maybe my age is catching up to me?! In the last two hundred meters there was a lady ahead of me that I wanted to catch. I did manage to catch her, but by the time I crossed the finish line my head was pounding and dizziness was closing in...it was too hot for me! I told Roger that I was glad I managed to catch the lady at the end, but then when I looked at the results in the paper, I realized that she was 52 years old! I mean, she was right behind me and she’s 52! Suddenly, I feel like I have a lot of work to do to be where she is when I’m 52!!

After the race, we went home. I needed to pick up a few groceries for the Fourth of July dinner wenwere having with my sister, Hannah, and her husband, Josh. We had originally thought about going to the parade, but no one (except Emma) wanted to sit in the hot sun and watch the parade! Instead I went grocery shopping, and then we headed to the lake. Our friends, Allison and Jason, invited us to their cabin on the lake for the afternoon. I don’t think the boys really got out of the water the whole time we were there! I even got in the water, so that tells you that the weather was hot! We came home around four, and we had dinner with Hannah and Josh around six. It was a low key evening, and a time to just relax and enjoy family. We didn’t make it to the fireworks much to the disappointment of our children, but Roger has had some long days! There will be an opportunity for us to see some fireworks later this summer, so the kids will look forward to that.

It felt like summer break last week as the responsibilities were low, the weather was beautiful, and it was a good week for just some down time. I took the kids to a cabin on a lake for a few days. I went with Teri (Kevin’s wife and Kevin is Roger’s boss). They have a cute little cottage on a lake, so the kids and I headed there on Thursday afternoon and stayed until Saturday. We had a good time ojust.  relaxing. The boys practically lived in the water while we were there, and Emma got in and out of her bathing suit like five hundred times! I told her she could just leave on her swimsuit, and then she would be ready to get in the water whenever she wanted to again. But she doesn’t like to be wet, so  she would get in the water for a while, change to dry clothes for a while, and then back into the     swimsuit! But since she’s mostly capable of doing it herself, I certainly didn’t see any need to    change her mind. I enjoyed my time getting to know Teri better, and I’m thankful that I had the opportunity to do this with the kids. We made lots of memories and soaked up the time together.

On Monday I took the children with me down to Portland. My sister, Jen, is coming in for a visit! The children are so excited! It will be good to have her visit with us for a bit, and it’s one of the signs that summer break is here. We don’t have any major plans except to spend time as a family with aunt Jen, and I’m hoping that Roger and I can squeeze in a date together! We look forward to these visits, and I’m thankful for the time and energy that Jen invests in our children.

Roger has been working more days than usual this month as we will be going away next month as a family! Roger’s Family is having a family reunion ...out in South Dakota! It’s a 33 hour drive from here (one way) so earlier in the summer we just didn’t see any possible way that we would be able to go! Obviously, family  is important to us, but so are time, finances and the  desire to put the children in the Christian school again.  We just weren’t sure how we would be able to manage to get our family all the way to South Dakota, but by God’s amazing grace and provision we are going, Lord willing! I will be flying out with the kids a few days early so that we can visit with my parents in Wisconsin. The boys are very excited about flying on a jet and seeing Nana and Papa! Roger will stay and work a few more days and then fly out to meet us to drive the rest of the way out to South Dakota. God has worked out hundreds of details for our family to be able to make this adventure work, and it will be good to see all of Roger’s Family. The cousins are growing up and these family reunions become a bit harder to coordinate as everyone spreads out, grows up, and has more responsibilities. I’m thankful that God provides this opportunity for our family. I certainly wish it was closer in our direction,  but God has proved Himself strong once again! As a family, we are looking forward to spending all that time with Roger. He enjoys his job, and we are extremely thankful for his job. He works with a great group of people (for the most part) and we have truly been blessed by the friendship of Kevin and Teri. God provided this job for Roger in His perfect timing, and also provided a Christian school for the children to attend. I am so blessed! I am reminded once again of  the verses  in Ephesians 3:20-21,  “Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that workers in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen” 

 

  

 




No comments:

Post a Comment