Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Saturday, September 8, 2018

First Week of School!! (Survival of the Fittest)

As students across the country were returning to classrooms this week, our children were no exception! We spent our last day of summer break preparing for Tuesday. Roger had taken the three older boys fishing last weekend (Travis missed it because he was sick), and they arrived home around eight on Sunday evening. Chandler came home sick! Poor boy! Roger said that he started feeling pretty miserable shortly after they woke up and by the time the float plane had dropped them off at the lake, Chandler was really not feeling well! Chandler spent much of the day laying on a log, covered with Rogers jacket. It was a real bummer for Chandler as he certainly does enjoy fishing! However, it was still a good day for Roger and the boys. The boys have been looking forward to this all summer, and as our days are getting limited in how many more opportunities are available, we were glad to see this adventure happen! They weren’t very successful with catching fish, but memories were made.

Meanwhile back at home, I had the opportunity to play the piano for worship service on Sunday. It’s always refreshing and soothing to my spirit to feel the music pour through my fingers as we worship the Lord together. We had lunch and a short Sunday school meeting after church, and then we headed home. Emma and Travis played outside for much of the day on the swing set that God provided to us for free! (On Saturday I had seen a post on Facebook about someone getting rid of their swing set and it was free!) I was the first to respond, and Roger picked it up for us on Saturday! A swing set wasn’t even something that I had specifically prayed for in awhile, but God choose to answer that prayer on Saturday. I see many hours of fun especially for Emma and Travis. Sunday was also our thirteenth wedding anniversary...it was highly romantic with Roger away for the day! But we have plans to maybe try to get away next year with just the two of us on a vacation...that would be so fun!    

Monday dawned as our last day of summer break. Roger and I went on a walk; I did grocery shopping; prepared for music classes on Wednesday; packed lunches; and savored our last day! The summer certainly flew by! The kids are excited about a new school year, and I’m looking forward to seeing how God continues to work in their lives. Chandler has been very, very nervous about the school year, and he finally told me that he was going to miss being in class with Garett this year! Who knew?! For all their arguing, I know that they really do love each other. Roger said that when he  was away with the three boys for the fishing trip, each of the boys commented at different times how much it didn’t feel right without Travis along with them. Just maybe, just maybe, someday they will become the best of friends. That is one of my prayers.
 

                                                        Free swing set!

Tuesday rolled around, and it was a hot and sunny day! It did not feel like a daybto be going to school but everyone was up early to start the day. Emma will go to school on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, so she was disappointed that she did not get to go to school today. Roger and I, along with Emma, spent the day catching up on some errands, visiting some folks in our church, and enjoying Rogers day off. I had some work to do at the school, so I picked up the kids from school. It had been a hot day in the classroom, and Roger was going to take them swimming when they came home from school. Garett told me he was worried about the school year and getting all his school work done. Chandler was in tears and told me his day was terrible. I asked why and he replied that there are just do many girls in his classroom (7) and of the three boys, he is the only one that doesn’t play video games and has no idea what “Fortnight” even is (me either!). I’m praying that God will provide a friend for him this school year. I did remind him that sometimes girls like to play games like soccer or kickball and he could ask some of them to play with him. Roger had a long talk with him and they prayed about the school situation. And we are ready to go back tomorrow and try again!  When I asked Travis and Wyatt about their day, Travis replied that he had already gotten a 100% on something. Wyatt indignantly replied that that wasn’t even possible as their papers haven’t even been graded yet! Travis confidently assured him, “Yes, I did! I KNOW I spelled my name right!” Well, that brought some laughter to our conversation! God is good, and we are looking forward to and praying   for a wonderful year.

Emma was ready for school in Wednesday, but when it was time to drop her off, she cried. Being the  mom of five kids, I left her in the good hands of her teachers and walked away. The teachers told me  that the tears were shortlived and she was soon off to go play dress up! Yeah, that’s what I figured! I had a full morning with teaching music classes. I’m excited about the schoo year, and what God is going to teach both my students and myself. I introduced the Christmas program to them, and we started preparing for the upcoming program. It seems so far away, but with only fourteen weeks of music classes, we have plenty to do! I find teaching music both challenging and delightful. It’s defin a challenge to make lessson plans, prepare for a wide variety of ages, and point them to Jesus, but I’m thankful for the opportunity.

On Friday we had our first hot lunch of the school year! We started off the school year with tacos, which is always a hit with the students. We even had some parents come to eat lunch with their students, so that was good. When I was talking with Garett about what God would want me to do to help at the schoo, this year, he asked me to please keep doing hot lunch. I replied that someone else could take that over, but Garett said how much he liked his mom’s cooking and that he enjoyed seeing me at lunch every Friday. Aw...I love that boy!

All in all, it was a good first week. God is good and faithful. I’m excited about how God is going to continue to work in our lives. Garett will be having some testing done next week. Please pray that the results would be clear and we would know how to best help him learn. He is already struggling with schoolwork, and we are only four days into the school year! He has a great teacher though, and I know that God will give us wisdom as we continue to move forward. Chandler reported to me at the end of the week that his classroom was getting better. He had made some friends with some of the girls, and he told me that the girls weren’t too bad to play with! :) Travis and Wyatt wrapped up the week with a few papers returned that DID have grades written on them. And yes, Travis did get a few 100%!


A few things to pray for:
1) Wisdom for Garett’s education and his educators (our other children too, but especially Garett)
2) Unity and harmony among teachers, staff, and the church
3) Wisdom and clarity of thought as I teach and prepare for music classes and teaching handbells
4) Continued provision for our family and also the needs of the school

Jeremiah 10:6 “Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O Lord; thou art great, and they name is great in might.” 

 
First day! 

  
                                                          Music Room!

School for Emma! 

No comments:

Post a Comment