Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Week Two! Testing, Adjustments and Parents, oh my!

Week two of our brand new school year is over and behind us! In some ways it seems like we’ve already been in school for a few months not just two weeks. This was a full week as the boys had all the extras that come in during the school year like gym class, art class, music class and Spanish class.

 Chandler has adjusted much better this week, so we are very thankful for your prayers. He has discovered that some of the girls in his class are actually good friends to play soccer and kick ball with him. He has the same room and the same teacher in the school that he has had for the last three years and he really enjoys his teacher. He loves the fact that she reads to her class aloud every day. The teacher is reading Farmer Boy, and we are almost done reading that at home. But Chandler likes that book, so he’s enjoying the stories again.

Garett had some testing done this week. He didn’t say much about it except to mention that some of it was confusing to him. He said he did the best that he could and that the teacher was nice. That was about all the information that he offered! We should have those results back in the next few days and we can see what our next steps will be. He has been working so hard in school, even skipping his snack time so that he doesnt have to have as much homework! For Garett to skip out on eating means that he is dedicated to something! We are proud of his efforts, and praying for God’s wisdom.

Wyatt has just confidently and calmly climbed back into his school routine. I asked him how it was with Travis in his class to which he replied, “He needs a lot of help!” They have the same memory verse, and while Travis wrestles with it for most of the week, Wyatt reads it, writes it, and is pretty much ready to say it. Wyatt says he doesn’t mind school, but having reading homework is not his favorite. However, it’s good for him, and I’m hoping as the year progresses he will enjoy it more. On Monday we had a Parents group meeting. We had a really low turn out of parents which is a bit dis-heartening, but God knows our needs. The Parents group had ordered some projectors and stands for a few of the teachers. The stands needed to be put together, so I took them home. Wyatt worked so hard on putting thos together for the teachers. He needed a little help from Roger, but for the most part, Wyatt did the work. I certainly wouldn’t have been able to put them together, so I’m happy for a boy who enjoyed that project!
 

  
Wyatt and Roger working on Projector stands; Chandler being a monkey, and Emma’s fashion outfit 

 

Travis is trying to stay under the radar. He doesn’t like to be called out or noticed. He’s a hard little  worker,  but his efforts don’t always seem to be rewarded with good grades. He seems to be doing well thus far this year though, so we are very thankful for that! He is taking speech lessons again this year, and he has a great speech teacher. Travis doesn’t like to go to speech lessons and when I asked him why he said it was because he would rather be in his class. And he said he doesn’t like that it’s just him and his speech teacher because he has to do so much talking!

Emma is an eager beaver to go to school! She delights on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays! On Friday she was able to go home with her classmate, Lucy, after hot lunch. Emma has enjoyed getting to know Lucy better, and I’m glad they have become friends. It also gave me a bit of time on Friday afternoon to work on additional stuff for my music classes.

We are on our second week of music classes. I certainly don’t mind teaching.  However, I find the amount of prep work that needs to go into teaching a smooth music class to be quite high. We have more students this year, which is a wonderful answer to prayer. It also means that I have to work a bit harder to make sure that everyone has a part or is participating somehow in the Christmas program. We got out handbells, boomwhackers, and the xylophone this week in our classes, so the excitement level was high! I could certainly use some extra prayers as we prepare and plan for our Christmas program. We also started a prayer journal in music class. I asked each of the students to come up with a specific request to pray for this year. I am excited to see how God works in the lives of our students as we pray for specific requests.

Also this week we helped stack some wood for our friends. Mrs. Terry (The wife of Roger’s boss) had some wood that needed to be stacked. So the kids and I came over on Wednesday after school to help stack wood. Terry has a riding lawnmower with a bucket on the back. The boys were excited to drive the lawnmower, but Wyatt was in for a disappointment. Since those newer tractors are safety conscious, they won’t start if there isn’t enough weight on the seat. Wyatt wanted so badly to drive the tractor, but he just didn’t weigh enough. We tried putting rocks on the seat, but then he had  struggles with reaching the gas and the break. It was disappointing,  but that’s life sometimes. The boys really did work hard at that project, and I was proud of all their work. Travis found an old wagon in the garage and he just kept on filling and hauling and repeating! We made short work of the project, and Terry gave each of the kids some money for their work. The boys were so excited about their  pay. They each have a savings goal for the year, so they were excited to have some fund  store out towards their goals.

On Thursday Roger had off work, and the weather was beautiful! After dropping the boys off at school, we ran a few errands, and then took a walk with Emma. We walked down by the harbor and near the Farmers Market. Emma has been asking to go to the market all summer long, but I find that most of the items there do not fit in our budget! However, we did walk through the market with Emma and she was happy to get a free sample of some blueberries. We walked past a flower vendor and Emma asked about buying a flower for Mrs. Terry. Since she was thinking of someone else on her own, we agreed. She picked out a huge bloom for $1.00 and she was delighted with her purchase. On the way home, we dropped it off at Mrs. Terry’s house. While Roger and I were still getting out of the car, Emma walked right up to the door and walked in! Terry had the front door open, and Emma just opened the screen door an popped right in! I, of course, was a bit horrified, but Terry was delighted that Emma was so comfortable at her house. Emma was thrilled to have a flower to give to Terry, and Terry was equally delighted with the flower. Roger and I got a bunch of projects done around the house that have needed to get done for a while. It was a productive day!

My friend, Claire, offered to make all the Mac n Cheese that we needed for hot lunch on Friday. I was pretty excited about that and it freed up my Friday morning. After playing the piano for the chapel service, my friend, Allison and I snuck away for a quick walk. It’s been a long while since we’ve managed to get in a walk, so I was happy to have a few moments of lengthy conversations. I’ve been blessed by her friendship to me many times over the last two years, and it always good to have a morning to regroup our thoughts, share our prayer requests and praises and enjoy sweet fellowship. After our walk, we headed back to school for hot lunch. I am so thankful for the parents that have offered to help this year by bringing desserts and chocolate milk on Fridays. Claire coordinated the lunch this week so all I did was show up and offer a wlloset of hands.

All in all it was a good week. Roger had off on Saturday and we were able to spend most of the day at home. I was able o go grocery shopping by myself,  and it was something that desperately needed to get done! We were able to go out for supper as I had purchased a groupon certificate several months ago. It was a special treat for us,  and even more special as the Philbrook family was able to join us for pizza. We have much to be thankful for as we look back over the week.

My mom did call me on Friday to tell me that my dad was in the hospital. That caught me off guard as my dad is generally healthy! He had acquired an infection, and he needed surgery. It probably wouldn’t have been a very big deal except my dad is on blood thinning medications. So they had to put off the surgery until his blood thickened. The surgery did take place on Saturday evening, and my mom said that they are back at home today. I’m thankful for doctors and hospitals. It’s hard to be so far away when your parents aren’t doing well,  but God is watching over them too. I’m sure they would appreciate your prayers though on their behalf.

Jeremiah 10:6 “Foreasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment