Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, October 15, 2018

Adventures and Education!

It’s been almost two weeks since I’ve written on our blog. And as much as I do it to keep others involved and informed about our lives, I also do it because I’m going to forget as I get older! The last seven days have been crazy, and I’m looking forward to some “down time” this week. Not down time as in I’ll be bored, but rather the chance to catch up on much needed projects around my own home and life. I can’t remember the last time I was bored!

Since the last few days have been so full, I’ll just capitalize on some of the highlights. We had a long weekend over Columbus Day, and we enjoyed a few extra fun activities with our family. Roger had to work on Friday, October 5th, but I took the kids up to visit with my sister. It’s been too long since we’ve visited, and I wanted to catch up on their lives. The kids enjoyed the chickens, exploring the yard, and visiting apple orchard. We picked a whole big grocery sack of apples, and in a week I had about four left! It was a beautiful day, and I’m glad I made the effort to squeeze in a visit.

 


 



On Columbus Day we had off of school also, and Roger had the day off of work. He’s been working on getting his sea plane rating, and it looked like he would need to do that on Monday. However, God worked out the details for him to be able to enjoy the day with the family. I had purchased a Groupon to an adventure ropes course months ago, and we needed to use it, or it would expire! We were able to go with our friends, the Philbrook’s. It was a fun afternoon and the kids definitely enjoyed the experience. Emma did part of the course with Roger, and she did a few of the small zip lines. Roger took her on the big zip line, and she enjoyed that too. Apparently, I’m the only one in the family that not crazy about heights!

Not having school on Monday always makes me feel “off”. I spent much of Tuesday in a meeting a church, shopping for hot lunch and preparing for our Harvest Dinner on Friday night. Wednesday was music classes, and with eight weeks until our Christmas program, we have no time to waste! I’m happy with the effort that the kids are putting into learning new songs and instruments. It’s the fastest thirty minute segments of my entire week!

Thursday was a special meeting concerning Garett’s education. A few weeks ago, he had some testing done to determine if he has a learning disability. What was discovered is that he does not display characteristics of a learning disorder, but is rather instead a slow but progressing learner. I was reminded that Garett is a hard working student, he is a leader in his class, he has a love of those around  him (just maybe not his brothers as much), and he learns at a different pace than most students. Ah, I love this boy of ours! In my flesh I wish that learning was easier for him, and that this wouldn’t be such a struggle. However, I’m reminded that if I love him more than I can express, His Heavenly Father has divinely created Garett, and God loves him far more than I ever could! These meetings are always hard on the parents, and for those that have children that learn differently, I can relate to you. It was a balm to my soul to meet in our administrators office after the meeting to pray for Garett. Hearing these teachers ask God for wisdom and direction on how to help Garett assures me that Garett is right where God wants him to be. Just as with each of our children, we are trusting God with their future. We will earnestly seek God’s direction, we will ask for wisdom, we will cry out for grace and help, but we will trust our Heavenly Father. I don’t know what God has in store for Garett. But I know that if Roger and I can keep pointing Garett to Jesus and helping him develop his relationship with Jesus, Garett can be exactly what God wants him to be without fear of failing or too scared to try. We serve an amazing God!

After we came home from the meeting on Thursday, Emma and I had a visit from my friend, Hannah. Hannah also has children close together, and we always enjoy visiting. It was a good morning as our children played together, and Hannah and I discussed many different things from parenting to churches to families to relationships, oh just everything! I also started on making food for the Harvest Dinner the next day. Our school is hosting a Harvest Dinner with an apple dessert contest. We are taking a free will offering that will go towards the financials needs of the school.


 Roger was sent home from work early on Thursday due to the rainy weather. After school, I helped three of our kids make apple desserts. Everyone wanted to use the apple peeler, so we had plenty of apples that were ready to go in the desserts. It was a bit of a crazy afternoon with three kids baking, white chicken chili cooking, hunting for our harvest decorations, making supper for our family, and trying to stay sane! Thankfully, my friend, Claire, had offered to make all the Mac n cheese needed for hot lunch for the school on Friday. I had my hands full with helping with an apple tart, and apple pie and an apple strudel! Roger took the chili to school on Thursday night so that I wouldn’t have to try to coordinate that big nesco in the morning. I was happy to crawl into bed that night!

Friday was the icing on the cake of crazy! I play the piano for chapel on Fridays, and I needed to put some songs in my iPad. Then Chandler’s class needed cookies for a science experiment, and of course hot lunch, decorating for the dinner, preparing for the dinner and finally home again! Actually for all that was in the day, it went relatively smoothly. I got up with Roger as I usually do to get in a workout before the day started. And then it was go, go, go all day. Allison and I did sneak away from the school to get coffee and take our kids to the playground for a bit. It was good to just sit down and visit for a few minutes. Claire and I had done the decorating for the dinner after lunch, and I’m so thankful for all her help. Emma and Lucy, Claire’s daughter, did very well during the afternoon at school. They played together, made messes together, but they got along all afternoon.  I am thankful for each family and person that made the effort to come to the Harvest Dinner. There are always those that I think would want to come or make the effort to be there, but guess what? I’m not responsible for them! God blessed our efforts with unity and harmony among those that came, and several families stayed to help clean up. Roger was able to make it to the dinner, and I was thankful for that. He has been working hard on this sea plane rating and has a check ride on Monday. I am excited for him as he has been looking forward to this. God is so good!

We’ve been discussing prayer with our Sunday school class. This week we focused on adoration of God. It was so encouraging for me to hear the students tell me about the attributes of God and describe His character. God is truth. God is just. God is holy. God is loving. God is our provider. God is our Rock. God is our Fortress. God is a deliverer. God is kind. God is persevering. God is unchanging. God is strong. God is the Creator. God is the King. God is our Savior. Wow! What a wonderful God we serve! I absolutely loved hearing the kids express their theology and be confident in Who God is.

Also this week another man in our church passed away. Our church has several older people whom I have grown to love and appreciate. This man usually sat behind us, and he was always enouraging when I was given the opportunity to play the piano. He was nintety two, I think. He will be missed. This is the second older person in our church that has passed away in the last month. We will miss these quiet, faithful men. It’s a reminder to me to love these older folks while I have the opportunity. And also a reminder to ask God to give us a few more families for our church body. Just as other churches, we have our share of struggles and burdens too. We need to be praying for boldness to preach Christ always...and if necessary, use words.

Thank you for your love and prayers. We appreciate each one of you.
Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment