Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Friday, August 30, 2019

Hard Decisions and Birthdays!

This week was absolutely crazy...I mean, more crazy than normal, even for me! It was a week full of changes, tough decisions, and it was emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and even physically exhausting. However, God brought us through it all, and I never would have made it without His all-sufficient grace.
 
12,11,10,9, and 6 Years of age!



   
Garett’s Birthday! 

     



Travis’s Birthday 

 
  

A bike for Travis 

Last week I was a member of the school board, and this week I’m an employee of our Christian school! Last week, I was reading through Christmas programs, and this week I was found cleaning out cupboards and helping work on curriculum for the school year. Last week, I was working on my kids school supply lists and this week I was working on a slide show for open house and helping to plan a back-to-school luau picnic! Yes, it’s been a week!


So...where are we now? (Sometimes I wonder myself!) Well, our church has a policy (that I agree with) that you cant be a member of the school board and an employee of the school. However, we were coming down to the wire for school starting, and still God had not brought us a pre-school aide. What did God have in mind? After many, many conversations and prayers with Roger, and many e-mails to various members of the school board, I made the hard and difficult decision to leave the  school board. I have a passion for the Christian school ministry of the school, and I know that God had a perfect plan in allowing me to be on the board, and also perfect timing in providing a job for me. It’s kinda like leaving one thing you really enjoy to do another thing you really enjoy. It’s not always and easy or peaceful decision, but sometimes God places the steps right in front of you. A choice is presented...either walk up the steps or trip and stumble as you refuse to climb the step. Yes, I enjoyed being a member on the school board, and I pray that I was a valuable asset to that for as long as God allowed.


However, I’m also leaving to do something else that I enjoy and that is working with children. Did you know that a child’s view of God and his basic theology is formed between the the ages of three and twelve? What better place to be than to help children understand the very basics of God’s Word than in the pre-school classroom?! I have the privilege to work with a truly wonderful Christian lady who has taken on the job of the classroom teacher. I get to assist her in whatever ways that I can and work with young children. I also have a job that allows me to be available for our children, and I have off on the days that they have off-that was important to me! It’s a ministry job (as are most in Christian schools), but every little bit will help us save for the school bills and for high school education as Garett only has two years left at our Christian school. I am very, very excited about the  job, and I would appreciate your prayers. Please pray that I will be used in a mighty way, not just in the lives of the children, but also in the lives of their families. Pray that God will give me wisdom,     discernment, and grace to deal with situations. Pray that God will help me to be a fantastic fit to work
 alongside of our pre-school teacher.

So, I left the board on Monday evening, and on Tuesday morning I was at the school for CPR/First Aid classes at 9;00 am. Unfortunately, that meant that I missed out on the company that was staying at our house overnight, but Roger had off from work. Roger’s sister, Erin and her husband, Jason, along with their five girls stayed overnight at our house on Monday night. I’m thankful that Roger was able to stay up to greet them since they arrived after I went to bed. They are traveling on a family trip, and will be coming back through the area next week, so I’m looking forward to seeing them all then!

Tuesday was spent with CPR/First Aid training, which I haven’t taken since college. The instructor  asked how long I had been out of college, and I told him over ten years. He couldn’t believe that I  was that old, so that was a GREAT way to start the morning! It was a fun class as seven of us on the school staff took the training together. Somethings have changed, but a lot is the same as it was years ago. After the training the pre-school teacher and I started working on the preschool classroom. Neither of us were quite prepared for all that we would need to do to get ready for the open house on Thursday morning! But it was a day spent in good company, and we laughed our way through it all. The staff came in at one point to have a prayer break, which is always a needed thing.

I’m thankful for Roger as he had off on Tuesday. He took the boys (and Emma) fishing and swimming, and also made breakfast for our guests. He’s been more than understanding of all the hours and time that Ive put in both at school and at home...we are both excited to have school start and to find a routine! We went for a family walk when I came home, and then ate pizza together at a park.

On Wednesday morning, I was back at school for Health training by nine am. My wonderful friend, Claire, had offered to take my kids since Roger was working. I took the three youngest there, but I left Chandler and Garett at home. Chandler was struggling with a migraine, and he needed rest. (He’s been overwhelmed with the thought of going back to school, and he is learning again that his joy  must be found in Jesus, not in our situations or circumstances.) I would appreciate prayers on his behalf.

Anyways, Wednesday was another long, but good day. I was helping my friend, Allison with a bulletin board, and she asked how it was going. ..and I started crying. I think by Wednesday, I was just so incredibly overwhelmed and trying to find my balance on a mountain that seemed to be heading for an avalanche! Allison is a dear friend, and I thank God for  her often. Renee (preschool  teacher) and I were able to get enough done on the preschool room that we were ready for the open house on Thursday morning—-Thank you, Jesus! It was another rather long day, and I was kinda emotional at moments, but God was so faithful! Just like He always is!

Thursday was like a 12 hour work day (or so it felt!) I had the preschool open house in the morning, and the elementary open house in the evening. Renee and I enjoyed the preschool open house, and it was good to meet a bunch of the parents. I’m excited about this ministry in this classroom! The energy that oozes out of three and four year olds was apparent, but it was a fun morning. We worked  a bit longer after the open house, and then I ran home to get ready for the next open house...craziness? Oh, yes!

My friend, Claire and I, along with our children, managed to get a Hawaiian themed picnic together. To be honest, Claire did most of the heavy lifting, as I couldn’t remember where I had set down my  coffee or my name by that point in time! I was happy to have her give directions, and I just provided  extra hands. It turned out to be beautiful weather for the picnic, and it was a blessing to see many  parents and students come out for the event. (I’m praying, {along with several others} for 12 more  students by the end of next week.)

And now, its Friday! Today is Garett’s 13th birthday! If I wasn’t emotional enough this week, that’ll make me emotional! My oldest son is a teenager! How the years did fly by! I’m thrilled with the young man he is becoming, and I pray that God will continue to work in his life this school year. Garett has a happy disposition, and a sensitive heart. I’m praying that he will continue to be sweet and sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Roger is working today, but Garett was able to be at the airport for a few hours. Garett told me that next year he would like to fill out an application to work where Dad is working at, and I love that!


Travis also celebrated a birthday earlier this week. Travis turned nine on Sunday, and he told me that Sunday was not his favorite day to have a birthday. However, a lady in our church had two bikes to give our children, and one of them was a great bike for Travis. He was thrilled  to get a bike on his birthday! It didn’t matter to him that it wasn’t new, he was delighted!  I love how God cares about the details in our lives. Travis has wanted his own bike, but bikes are expensive! And this dear lady from our church was getting rid of two. The man who owned the bike previously was also named Travis! How cool is that!?  Travis also  enjoys legos, time outside, swimming, bike riding, and I’m pretty  sure -annoying his sister! We are so blessed by this youngest son of ours. He is a very conscientious worker, and he is a sweet child. Again, we are praying for him to be sensitive to the Holy Spirits leading, and that God will give him a great school year.


So for the last five days, Ive enjoyed the boys being “stair steps”. They were 9,10, 11, and 12 years old in age. And now Garett had a birthday, so I have to try to remember how old they are!

We are wrapping up the summer, and heading back to school on Tuesday. It will be a change with me working, but I’m happy to be on the same schedule as our children. Please pray that God will work in each of their lives, and that God will be glorified in and through us!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment