Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Week #1 (What a week!)

Did we make it?! I feel a bit like a barn cat that is trying to sneak in the door before his tail is slammed in the door! It felt like a marathon, a whirlwind, and a tornado all in one, but we all survived week one of school!

First of all, last Friday Garett turned thirteen! I think I’m still in shock over that! Secondly, we celebrated our fourteenth anniversary on Monday. Roger and I sometimes joke about the fact that Garett has never hurried for anything in his entire life...except for crashing our first anniversary! Garett’s due date was October 3rd, and he was born on August 30th! He was an unexpected addition to our first, very unromantic first anniversary! However, there is not a day that goes by that I don’t thank God for the special gift of our first born son. Every anniversary looks a bit different for Roger and I, and I don’t think we’ve ever really celebrated with an expensive dinner and a get away on our anniversary. The beginning of the school year is not a prime time to have an anniversary! (But we didn’t think about that 14 years ago!)

We had company for our anniversary (also on Labor Day this year). My sister, Hannah, her husband, Josh, along with some of our dear friends, the Faulde’s (missionaries to Haiti) and Rogers boss, (Kevin and Terry) came for dinner! It was a table full, but what a great time we had together. Roger grilled out a bunch of different types of meat (they had cleaned out the freezer at work). Terry brought an ice cream cake to celebrate Garett and Travis’s birthdays, and the table was filled with delicious things to eat! It was a good time to visit about Haiti, the mission work there, and enjoy each other’s company. I’m thankful for a home in which to be hospitable to others. I’m thankful for a spouse who graciously helps prepare food. I’m thankful for our children who enjoy having others at  
our house. I’m thankful to our, good, good Heavenly Father who bountifully bestows blessings on us!


Tuesday was our first day of school! A cool mama would’ve taken pictures of our first day of school, but maybe we will get a picture by day 20 of the school year! Garett is in 7th grade, Chandler is in 6th, Wyatt is in 4th, Travis is in 3rd grade and Emma started kindergarten. I was not emotional about Emma starting school, probably because I was nervous also about my first day of being the pre-school aide! I forgot to take a picture of Emma, and that does make me a little sad as she is our last one to go to kindergarten.


This year brought about many changes for our school schedule as we are now all going to school. I  LOVE the fact that all of our children are learning at the same school, and I am delighted to be there with them. I MISS the fact that I’m not going to be available for each of our children’s field trips, and that I am no longer able to play the piano for chapel. I appreciate the fact that I can earn a bit of  money to help with the school bills, and maybe even help our children be able to take music lessons this fall.

I’ve probably had a bigger adjustment than our children this year simply as its been quite a few years since I’ve had a job that requires tax paperwork to be filled out and actually results in a paycheck! It’s also exhausting and tired to get back into a routine! We started off with the three-year olds on Tuesday, and what an adventure that was for both the new teacher and myself! Three year olds are just discovering how independent they can be, and not one of them was interested in a  schedule or routine! Its amazing though at how quickly kids can adjust and adapt as Thursday was a much better day. I’m excited to see how God works in and through me.  

Wednesday was Emma’s long day at school (She goes full day on Mon./Wed./Fri./ and half days on Tuesday/Thursday) She has been tired for much of the week, and by Thursday she was ready for a    
nap after school! I watch a little boy from our preschool class on Wednesday afternoons, so we went  to the bank and out to see Roger. The little boy was very impressed with the stickers and sucker he got at the bank. (Oh, sometimes its the little things that provide the most joy!)  I also worked some on paperwork, music class lessons, and other things that needed to be done.

Thursday afternoon provided me with the unexpected blessing of being able to finish up working in the music room. My friend, Claire, took Emma home with her for the afternoon, which gave me several hours just to work on my music class space! I am delighted to see it come together, and now just have to work on the lesson plans for the Christmas program and how we are going to be ready for that in 12 weeks! AHH!!

And just like that Friday is here -Snap! We are thankful that God brought us safely through our first week of school. We are thankful for the weekend as we will have family staying overnight again this  weekend. I’m looking forward to making my grocery list and prepping for next week’s meals. This week we kinda flew by the seat of our pants, which resulted in popcorn and cheese for supper one night, and eggs and sausage another night, etc.

We are closing up the weekend with enjoying two days with Roger’s sister, Erin, her husband, Jason, and their five girls at our house for a few days. It was good to catch up and visit with them. We enjoyed a walk on the board walk, loud nerf gun fights at home, and just enjoying each other’s company. This morning we were all able to attend church together, and it was good to enjoy a morning with other believers. Pastor Faulde presented his ministry to our church this morning, and I am thankful that I have been able to be a part of several medical trips to Haiti. It was a good day in the Lord’s house.

Tomorrow we begin week two of school, and I would appreciate your continued prayers for both  Roger and I and our children. To God be the Glory,  

Sarah
 




Fort Building 

No comments:

Post a Comment