Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, January 6, 2020

Back to School....Haiti Update!

Back to school! We actually went back last week for Thursday and Friday, and then had the weekend off again. It was a bit of a rough start back to school, no doubt!

Last Wednesday we went to Portland to drop my sister, Jen, off at the bus station. She took the bus to Boston, and flew back to South Dakota early on Thursday morning. My children certainly enjoyed their visit with her, and I am so thankful for the time that she invests in their lives. I wanted to stop at Sam’s Club while we were in Portland, but they were closed on New Years Day. Travis told me that he was a bit bummed that Sam’s Club wasn’t open. I asked him why, and he replied, “I like their snacks, and I wanted to smell the new tires!” Yes, that’s Travis! He really likes the smell of new tires, and he and Emma always want to smell the tires on our way out of the store! Travis hates the smell of gum and mints, but he likes the smell of new tires....gotta love that kid!

Even though our kids were in bed fairly early on Wednesday, Thursday was still a bit of a rough morning! The kids were up in plenty of time, but getting out the door was another matter entirely! We survived the day...thank you, Jesus!

On Friday evening, we hosted several families over to our house for supper. I made two pans of regular lasagna and one of a spinach lasagna. I had made the pans of lasagna on Thursday night, and I am so glad that I did! Most people enjoy lasagna, but it is a meal that takes a few steps, and many pans. I’ve never pre-boiled  my lasagna noodles in my life, and the noodles always turn out just fine. I just use regular lasagna noodles, and with enough sauce, it all turns out delicious! It was a wonderful night of fellowship, planning for the future, laughing, talking and praying. Our house isn’t huge by any means, but it was a great night. Roger and I both said how encouraged we were by the night of fellowship and prayer. I’m thankful for good friends to enjoy fellowship and meals with in our home.

Saturday was a low key day....those are always nice! I did grocery shopping, and we did jobs around the house. Roger took the boys ice skating with some friends as our ice was too soft and mushy on Saturday. Emma and I stayed at home. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to make some music lesson plans and begin the details of preparing for the Patriotic program in May. While our backyard rink was a bit too soft and mushy on Saturday, on the days that the ice is hard, it sees PLENTY of use! The boys have drastically improved on their ice skating skills, and it’s been a delight to see them enjoy being outside even if we don’t have a lot of snow.


Sunday was a full day of church services and children’s and teen ministries in the evening. Through a series of events over the last few weeks, Roger was asked to help out with the teen ministry. He certainly seemed to enjoy the opportunity, and he put thought into the games, ice breaker game, music, and the schedule of the evening. Another man in our church did the lesson, and I was able to help out for a bit too. Roger and I love serving where our kids are, and it’s hard to believe but we now have kids in teen group! We had a good turnout of teens, and I’m excited to see what God continues to do. We serve an amazing God!






Haiti update! Many of you have asked when or if I’ll be returning to Haiti this year. I’m not sure how many of you have read up on the news about Haiti, but they’ve had a tough time in the last long months. Inflation has been high, jobs not sufficient, hurting and hungry people, and an unstable political situation had prevented the medical team from returning in January of 2020. However, we have tentative plans to return to Haiti in the late spring. Please pray that the situations in Haiti will stay safe so that we can go in the spring. I have every desire to go to Haiti in on this missions trip, but I also have a strong desire to return home to my family. Roger would also like that! :)


We have some dear Haitian friends, and the desire to check on them personally and see how they are doing is a desire of my heart. It’s like checking in on old friends or neighbors that you haven’t seen in a while! I am tentatively planning and preparing to go on this trip, Lord willing. It means missing some school, and re-arranging schedules and routines, and preparing and prepping for Roger as much as possible, and asking friends for help, but God has always been so faithful to provide all the right details to fall into place. Please be in prayer about this missions trip. Pray for wisdom, discernment, unity, and grace as we prepare and plan. Pray for hearts to be open to the Gospel, and that we will be able to point people to Jesus. If you would like to know more about the mission group that I go with or to donate to this trip, you can  go to https://www.parakaleointernational.com/ If you want to make a specific donation to the cost of the trip for me, you can just mark your donation for Sarah Robertson’s Haiti trip.


God is so good, isn’t He? So many friends are posting about their New Years goals or resolutions, but I’m over here thinking that I just need to focus on drinking more water and eating a bit cleaner! :) Actually, for a teacher, I think New Years goals are made in August not January! For the teacher, a new year begins in August, so that is when I tend to think about big long-term goals. I’m certainly not poking fun of those that make goals or pick out a word for the year! More power to you! I’m just saying that for me, I find it easier to set goals in August rather than in January...weird, right?!

Welcome to 2020! My prayer is that we will use the remaining 360 days to give honor and glory to God. My heart’s desire is to love God and serve Him passionately all the days of my life.

Love, Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment