Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, January 20, 2020

Snow Days, Candy Canes & Prayers

Our landscape here in Maine was once again coated white with snow this past week. It gave us a snow day from school, much to the delight of all of our family. Roger had off from work on Thursday, which was our snow day.
                                                    Ice skating rink is almost ready again

Other than our snow day, it was a normal week. Okay, what does that even mean?! Routines we have, normalcy...well, that’s another matter entirely! Each week brings new challenges, joys and trials which result in every day being different and unique.

I taught music classes on Monday, and I’ve decided that this year for the spring Patriotic program we will focus on our flag. In a time in our history when our flag seems to be so dishonored and disrespected, it seems like a good time to sing songs about our flag and have poems and speeches that honor our flag. The Patriotic program is one of my favorite events of the year. It’s still a ton of work, but being an American is something that I hail as a privilege  and responsibility. And we need to pass that on to the generations behind us.

On Wednesday we had an early release day which allows for a staff meeting and some time in our classrooms. Roger had off on Wednesday and Thursday this week, which was so nice for me! He was able to pick the kids up from school so that it was a bit easier for me to stay at the school. I spent the afternoon working on various projects with Renee, and talking with some of the teachers. I had quite a lengthy discussion with one of the teachers, in which we both shared burdens and concerns. We have a wonderful school, but wonderful does not mean without problems or struggles. I am privileged to work alongside of these wonderful teachers, and I am learning so much from them.  Being on the staff side is a completely different story than being on the board side, and I am quickly learning that! I’m thankful that God works in every detail in our lives.

Thursday we welcomed a snow day! It was a wet sloppy snow which means lots of wet, sloppy clothes! The boys and Emma were in and out all day long. Roger drove me to my eye appointment in the afternoon, which I was very thankful for. I haven’t been to the eye doctor in four years, but surprisingly enough, my eyes have improved slightly! I’m practically as blind as a bat without my contacts or glasses, but at least my eyes did not get any worse! Emma made a tea party for Roger in the afternoon. It was quite funny to see Roger sit beside this little table that Emma had decorated. Emma dressed up in her fancy dress up clothes, and they ate blueberries and sipped water together. The boys were all outside, which was for the best, because they probably would’ve wanted to eat all the tea party food!

Friday afternoon found me on a short and quick date with Allison! I’ve missed our times together since I’ve taken on the role as the preschool aide. However, a local store was offering up free chicken while it lasted. Free food?! Yes, please! We took a quick “field trip” to the store and even got coffee together (thru the drive thru). It was so nice to spend a few minutes visiting together. We had a parents group meeting in the afternoon. The purpose of the parents group is to come alongside the teachers and students of our school. One of the ways I think we can focus on the goal a bit better is to be more fervent in prayer. So, I made a list of everyone that teaches, works or oversees the school, and we spent time in prayer for our school. If we really want to see God change our world, we have to start by allowing Him to change us. I’m excited to see what God does as we continue to pray for our school. I also wish I knew how to better motivate other parents to  want to be involved in the parent group, but maybe that will come along to as we pray together more. I know that I want God to be alive and real in my own life, and that comes through being in His Word and spending time with Him.

Guess what?! I went grocery shopping on Saturday (no surprise there!) but when I was at the grocery store, they were giving away free boxes of candy canes. I know you’re thinking, “why on earth is this lady so excited about free candy canes?!” Well, because of Haiti!! I told the grocery store manager that I would be going to Haiti in the spring and could I have more than one box of candy canes. She gave me two paper bags and said, “Help yourself”. I was given 26 boxes of free candy canes!! Don’t you just love how God is in the little details?! My eyes welled up with tears as I pulled out of the grocery store parking lot. God is just so good. I know that there will be many delighted children in Haiti to get a candy cane. I’ll let my sister hand out the nasty medicine, and I’ll just be over there handing out candy canes! Every time I get the opportunity to go to Haiti, I always pray that God will help me to pack just the right things. Last year, I packed carefully, and I ended up in Haiti without my luggage! But even through that God was glorified, as He showed Himself strong and the provided of our needs.

The wet, sloppy snow on Thursday did not help the ice skating rink, but the boys and Roger went down to talk to our local fire chief. On Saturday afternoon, he was able to dump some water on the ice skating rink. That certainly helped the ice. Chandler has been working diligently on getting it back to smooth for ice skating again. Hopefully, they’ll have some smooth skating for a while. This has  certainly   been a learning curve of a year for us with this ice skating rink!

To God be the Glory!
Sarah
26 boxes of free candy canes! 


                                                             Tea Party!





Snow covered rink

No comments:

Post a Comment