Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, January 13, 2020

Haiti, “Operation Auca” and Heart Musings

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's back to school we go! Here we are in our second full school week of the new year. Here’s a prayer to praying that it will be a bit smoother than last week! Last week felt like a long week...I think for both the teachers and the students!

Emma spent Tuesday afternoon (Tuesday is her 1/2 day at school) with her friend, Lucy. Claire is such a good friend to invite Emma to come along with Lucy to the library with them sometimes. I was able to get some grocery shopping done for a baby shower I was helping to host on Wednesday.

The staff hosted a baby shower for one of our dear volunteers who does many, many things for the school! Claire is expecting a baby on January 31, so it was nice to host a small baby shower for her. I made some desserts, decorated a bit, and made some food items for the party. On Wednesday morning, I was so sure I had remembered everything. By the time, we arrived at school, I realized that I had remembered most everything...except the baby gift! Oh well...and guess what?! That gift is still sitting in my living room today! Ahh! Claire is a good friend, and by now she knows that my head isn’t attached sometimes!

It was actually a rather low-key week that felt like a week on steroids! I managed several emails that I wasn’t real excited about; Roger and I planned and prayed over the teen group ministry; and I taught, chauffeured, refereed, and life went on! Roger and I have really been enjoying working with the teen ministry the last few weeks. Roger has been very intentional about games, ice breakers, music and preparing. One thing that Roger is very good at (he’s good at a lot of things) is not making hasty decisions. Now, his wife...I’ll jump in with both feet and start drowning if I see a need! Thankfully, I’ve learned to ask Roger about a lot of decisions first, otherwise, I’d totally be crazy! God gave me a gift when He gave me my spouse, and I am thankful!

I’ve been working on many of the details for the Patriotic Program in the spring. One of the things that I’m working on is teaching one of the classes to sing and sign to “America, the Beautiful.” Obviously, I can read a book on the signs, and I can even watch a YouTube video, but the best lessons are often learned in person. And God provided one! One of the ladies who works at Roger’s work place grew up signing in American Sign Language. It’s her first language, so to speak. On Tuesday afternoon, (while Emma was with Lucy), I went over to Roger’s work for a lesson. Marie was so patient and thorough, and I am fairly confident that the students can grasp and master what I want them to do. It’s so nice to have someone to teach the song to me personally. I’m excited about our students having the opportunity to present a Patriotic Program. In a country where Patriotism seems to be fading and dying off quickly, we have the awesome privilege and opportunity to endeavor to raise the next generation to love their country as well as the Lord. In our school, we stand for the flag, we pledge daily to the flag, we stand with our hands over our hearts, and we remove our hats. It’s becoming a lost art to know proper flag etiquette. Often times in chapel, my eyes will swell with tears as I hear the voices of children pledging to the American flag, the Christian flag and the Bible. Oh, how privileged we are, and we should not take that for granted! To all that have served or are serving our country...thank you!

Did you know that last week marked the 64th anniversary of the “Operation Auca”? Garett did his school report on Nate Saint two years ago, and we studied about Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, and three other men who gave their lives for the Gospel. To the world, this seemed like a tragedy, but yet God used it for His honor and glory. Perhaps you aren’t familiar with the story? Here is a link Operation Auca. I had the opportunity to present some of the highlights from this story to our children’s Sunday school classes. The older I become, the dearer the Gospel becomes to me. As I looked into the faces of the children staring back at me, I reminded them that these men didn’t get out of bed one day and decided that today they would serve Jesus and off they marched to the jungle. They made day-to-day decisions to love Jesus and to serve Him. That’s the same thing that we still need to do. Sometimes the Christian life might seem a bit nitty and gritty...and not fun! That’s okay! We are called to be faithful...and oh, how that is my hearts desire! “Oh, to be like Thee!”

We are putting the plans in motion to go to Haiti in the spring. I’m so excited and thankful for the opportunity to return to Haiti again. Going in the spring will be completely different than going in January, but I am excited. If you don’t already follow the Parakaleo Facebook page, I’d encourage you to do so. They often post updates about particular needs or opportunities, pictures and more. If you’d like to donate, you can do that also! Parakaleo International  God has already provided $300.00 for my trip in May! I’m excited to see how God continues to prepare us for this trip in the spring.

I hope you don’t feel like I rambled on too much in the post. I feel like I had a lot on my heart and mind, and I had the opportunity to unravel some of that on paper. God is good, and He is so faithful.

Love, Sarah
Chandler made this “bridge” out of toothpicks for a school project...he used a LOT of toothpicks!

Baby shower desserts...homemade lemon curd tarts and brownies with ganache = delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment