Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Friday, April 30, 2021

Mid- Life Crisis?!

 




Spring is coming! When? I have no idea! We’ve had a few days of chilly weather, but I keep hoping that by wearing spring clothes the weather will turn warmer. Instead, I’ve just been cold at recess all week! 

Roger asked me this week if we were having a mid-life crisis! To be honest, some days as of late have felt that way! Roger’s been working about three jobs between his job, the school board, and our family. Things haven’t been exactly easy at any of those three jobs, so lately we’ve been feeling like we are treading water and trying to keep from drowning. We are so thankful that God continues to wrap us in His arms of protection, the power of His love, and His steadfastness. Roger received several phone calls from a job in Alaska over spring break. We spent A LOT of time praying and waiting to see what God would do. The job was offered to Roger and then we had to make a decision about whether or not he should take the job. In the end, Roger said “no”. One, it was a seasonal job from May through September, and then Roger would need another job. Two, we wouldn’t all be going to this town in Alaska for the summer, so then it’d be like paying for two households. Three, Garett is graduating from eighth grade this year, and while it’s not a ginormous milestone, it won’t come around again. Four, Roger just didn’t have peace about leaving our family or his commitment to the school board for the summer. So at the end of the day, Roger said no to the job. So, we continue to wait...not my strong suit, but I’m learning to lean more and more on Jesus.

We had a teen activity for just boys at our house last Saturday night. While we didn’t have very many boys come out for the activity, we had a good time with those who came. Roger planned a Bible scavenger hunt for them, and the boys had fun tromping around in the yard and woods in search of various items from Bible references. The weather was beautiful, and the opportunity to interact with our own boys as well as a few others is always time well spent.  

Last week, I played the piano for a local area church, and I’m going to have the opportunity again on Sunday. Last week we faced several unexpected situations on Sunday morning, so I ended up going to church, and the kids stayed home. It wasn’t the ideal situation, and I’m glad it’s not that way very often, but it is comforting to know that the boys can manage on their own for a bit. We didn’t have teen group at our church in the evening due to the teen activity the night before, but there was a kids fun night planned for kids ages 6-12. Normally, we’d send our kids and participate in helping with the night, but Roger ended up home a little early due to weather, so we spent the evening at home. It was an evening of great family time and early bedtimes as we geared up to enter this week of school. 

It was a fast, crazy week! We have 28 days left of school, and we are all in count down mode! However, I keep reminding my kindergartners that we are not done learning yet! We are talking about prayer in our Bible lesson unit, and I mentioned to my class that I often pray when I’m out on my morning runs. One of my students raised his hand and asked, “Do you run into a lot of stuff every morning?” Haha! It was a good opportunity to tell my class that while we can bow our heads and close our eyes, God can also hear us when our eyes are open! I sure have enjoyed teaching this year, and I’m so thankful that God gave me the opportunity to do so. Travis has had a rough year at school. A very rough year. We’ve prayed a lot, cried, and struggled through, but he’s come home in tears several times. A few weeks ago, I was correcting him for something at home, and I asked him, “Why are you acting this way?” He responded, “I used up all my goodness at school!”. This past week he had another rough day. There are several classroom dynamics that make the school year rough, and we just keep reminding him that God knows exactly where Travis is at. God will give Travis the strength to make right choices and to be a leader in his classroom, etc. Anyways, Travis announced to me, “School was awful today. I’d rather sit on the toilet all day than go to school!” Okay, I might have had a very difficult time not laughing as he said this in his most serious voice! I can think of several other word pictures that I would’ve used, but anyways, I’m not Travis. I really sat and listened to his heart, asked questions, and tried to help him resolve some things. We’re not perfect by any means, and I’m learning more every day about parenting. I only write this here because I do want to remember these moments with my children. I want to them recognize that God is in their lives every day, and He is working. It’s not always as fast or as smoothly as we’d like, but God is working. 

Last Saturday Roger was able to take the boys golfing. All the boys were really excited to go, and it was fun to see them excited to do this together. There’s a golf course in our area that is allowing children under 16 to golf for free! Woot!! So for $20.00 the boys and Roger were able to play nine holes of golf. They had a great time, and I know that these memories are special for all of them. 

Today Roger spent the entire day, his day off from his primary job, at the school. I’m thankful for Roger’s support and involvement in our little Christian school. Since our administrator is due to have a baby any day, we are kinda trying to just get through the school year as smoothly as possible. Roger has been a positive mentor for several students in our school, and while he’s not loud or threatening in any way, his presence can lend a calming presence to many situations. I couldn’t have asked for a better life mate. I can’t think of very many men at all that would be willing to give of their day off to make someone else’s life easier! That’s a man of sacrifice, strength of character, and faithfulness. I’m so very thankful for him. He’s had a lot of rough days lately, but he keeps showing up, getting the job done, and loving even the difficult people. 

We signed up to send our boys to camp this summer, but in Wisconsin! I want our boys to have the opportunity to go to a good solid Bible camp, and God has provided them the opportunity to go out to Wisconsin for a few weeks this summer. Since our state is on their 14th State of Emergency...yes, the 14th, and many camps don’t know if they’ll be able to open this summer, we decided to send the boys to camp in Wisconsin. They are very much looking forward to the opportunity, and I’m excited for them! Roger and I both grew up in and around Bible camp, and camp can provide an excellent opportunity for the Holy Spirit to work in lives.  

Thank you for praying with us as we wait on the Lord. 

  
                                  Altamonte-family.com - photo credit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment