Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Monday, December 24, 2012
It’s Christmas Eve!

It was a different sort of Christmas Eve for us here, but it was a good day. The weather was nice…actually even warming up to 9 degrees! It feels so warm after last weeks temperatures of -40 degrees and colder!

Roger and Garett went wood cutting today. About 18 miles outside of Manley is a burned area. The wood is dry and ready to be burned (again!) so the wood cutting is fairly easy work. They left at daylight (about 10am.) and headed out. They picked up a man who lives out that way and who offered to help cut wood. They just cut the trees into 6-8’ lengths and loaded them on the trailer. Once home, Roger will cut them up into lengths for the stove. It went fairly quickly and Roger and Garett were home again by 1:30pm.
Roger enjoys taking the boys on excursions like wood cutting as it gives him an opportunity to talk to them one on one. Roger said on the way back home (it was about an hour ride with the loaded trailer) Garett looked like he was thinking. So Roger asked Garett what he was thinking about. “I miss Wisconsin,” Garett replied. “Why is that?” asked Roger. Garett replied seriously, “Well, Wisconsin has Subway and that’s my favorite.” Roger told Garett that there was a Subway in the Walmart in Fairbanks, and Garett asked when we could go there. “Well, it’s a four hour ride, Garett, so probably not until on our way back to Wisconsin.” Garettt replied, “Okay! Maybe we can go to Subway on the way back.” (I think he might be starting to miss bread, as that is still not my forte!) It was funny to hear Garett tell about what he missed and at the top of his list was Subway!

I had some Christmas cookies to give to the mail lady, and the boys wanted to go to the store to pick out some Christmas treats (soda pop). So, about 10:30am. I bundled the other three up and off we went to the post office. Since we usually cut across the frozen slough, it’s only about a .25 mile of a walk. The mail plane hadn’t come in yet, but we dropped off the cookies. BUT, the little store was closed! Oh dear, I had three very disappointed little children. Chandler suggested that we walk to the store out to the washateria, and I agreed. I should have thought on that decision a little more! It’s a mile walk from our house, and since we were at the post office, the walk was already a little further! We had the toboggan and the other plastic sled hooked on behind. At first all three of the kids were riding in the sleds but since it’s an uphill walk (both ways! Just kidding!) to the washateria, I had to have Chandler walk. At about .75 of a mile, I was thinking what a bad idea this was, but by then we were close and Chandler was still excited about going to the store. Travis was crying on the sled, and Wyatt was asking when we were going to get there! AHH! But, finally we made it to the store! (I had been praying the whole way that it would be open, since it was Christmas Eve, after all!) It was open…Praise Jesus! We picked out some treats for Christmas and a small candy bar for the boys stockings. I also splurged and bought a red pepper ($2.50) and a cucumber (also $2.50)! The bad thing about walking out to the store is that everyone is usually okay about walking out, but the way back…well, it’s a long walk back! I was starting to feel tired, but what goes up must come down! So, we started back, going downhill this time which was easier, but the back sled tended to want to pass the front sled leading to a tangled up mess of boys, groceries, ropes, and sleds! Grrr! Oh, and by that time, Travis was ready for a nap and wanted me to carry him! Not to mention the snow grader that passed by us (but that’s another story entirely!). BUT, the Lord had mercy on me, and about .5 miles from town, a man came along in a pickup truck. He asked if we wanted a ride to the post office. I didn’t know him from Adam, but I accepted! He loaded the sleds and treats in the back of the truck and we piled into the truck. We arrived at the post office and picked up our mail. Then we noticed that the little store next to the post office was now open!! So, I bought a small bottle of ranch dressing to go with the veggies and some sour cream and spent $6.48! (I may not be able to use coupons in Manley, but I’m saving money by walking!) Good thing we walk and only buy things as a treat…or we’d go broke in a hurry! By this time, all the children were cold and we still had to walk .25 to home, across the slough and back up the hill to home. Travis insisted that I carry him, but I only carried him until we reached the slough. Since the trail isn’t a road, it’s harder walking. So he wailed in the sled until we reached home. Chandler was a few steps ahead of us as he announced at the post office that he needed to go potty. By the time I reached the top of the hill and into our driveway, Chandler was at the front door. But he couldn’t get the door open with his mittens on, so he wet himself…snowsuit and all on the front porch. So, he was crying because he had an accident, Travis was wailing because he was tired and cold, and Wyatt was whining that his toes were cold and he needed his boots off! I was never so glad to walk in the door and sit down! We survived and I got my exercise for the day (or the week!). So why did I do it? Well, it’s Christmas and three little boys! (However, I’m thinking that will be the last time for that adventure!) Chalk it up to experience and a lesson learned!

Naptime was wonderful! Everyone took a nap, then we got up and headed to the washateria (by truck this time!) for showers...Roger and I needed them after him cutting wood and my walk! However, when we arrived at the washateria, the place was closed. Apparently, the cleaning lady hasn’t come in a few days, and the place is shut down until further notice! So, no showers for us!
 
We came home and feasted on taco dip, fresh veggies, enchiladas and jell-o! Yummy! Then the kids watched a Christmas movie while Roger and I wrapped a few gifts. Afterwards, we read a couple of Christmas books, the Christmas story from the Bible and headed off to bed. I’ve got a feeling that we’ll all sleep good tonight as lots of fresh air and exercise usually help the body sleep great!

No comments:

Post a Comment