Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, December 24, 2012


Saturday, December 22, 2012

Three weeks in Manley

Weather wise the weather started out cold here this morning at about -35 degrees; however, the wind shifted and the temperature went up fairly quickly. By the afternoon, the temperature was about -5 degrees.

This morning (when it was cold J ) we went to the washateria. We did laundry, updated the blog, showered, took trash to the dump, and filled up the water jugs. Unfortunately, my shower today was way closer to the three minute mark! L And Roger’s was closer to six, so next time…I’m going first! J

After morning errands, we came home. After lunchtime and naptime, everyone headed outside for a bit. Chandler and Roger are working on building an igloo, and the other boys went sledding and played in the snow. At 3:30pm, I headed to the church building. Damaris and I worked on getting the church building ready for the Christmas program tomorrow. We also put together little gift sacks for each of the kids that came to the program. Since it took longer than either of us anticipated, I’m glad we did it today instead of waiting until tomorrow.  I walked in the door at about 5:30pm., and I was really missing the number to call for carryout pizza! J Instead, we pulled out the moose sausage, made the pizza dough, mixed up the sauce, whipped up some cheese (okay, I’m kidding! It was already shredded) J, and made homemade pizza. It was so yummy! We was after 7pm. when we sat down to eat, but the pizza was delicious!

Since today marks our third Saturday in Manley, I thought that I would share with you all the new things we’ve been learning! J

-         In cold weather always try to wear the same neck warmer. Oh, I also wouldn’t recommend letting anyone else use it! At -20 to -30 degrees, you can feel the nose hairs freezing in your nose; however, at -40 degrees and colder your nose will just run…continuously! So, you really don’t want anyone else to wear your neck warmer. But, if someone else does…just turn it around or inside it out as that “crusty” part can be rather disgusting! J

-         You can substitute spaghetti noodles for lasagna noodles when making lasagna. The texture of the dish does not come out the same way, but the taste is still good.

-         I need to be sure to thoroughly dry my baking pans before putting them away in the drawer under the kitchen stove. When I went to use the pans this week, they had frozen together…that’s INSIDE the house! J

-         At -40 degrees, toilet paper is no longer soft. Instead it becomes more of a white, crunchy, cold cardboard!

-         Never go anywhere without a flashlight and hand warmers. It generally gets darker sooner than I think it will. And the hand warmers may not be for me, but for the little person that is walking or riding and needs a little extra warmth.

-         Wyatt sleep walks and sleep talks. Since the cabin is small, the two little boys sleep out in the main room with us. (Not in our bed but on the couch and a cot)  Wyatt usually sleep walks or talks every night about 11:30pm. Somehow, he seems to be subconscious of the wood stove as he always walks around it. We usually just gently guide him back to bed, he climbs in, we cover him up, and he goes back to sleeping. (To be honest, it’s not “we”. Roger is the one that usually gets up with the boys. Yes, I have an awesome husband!) J

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas to the Robertsons!

    I love following your blog.

    Your pizza sounded yummy! Great job!

    The sleeve of a coat works nice for holding each individual neck warmer when you are waiting for the next chance to wear it. Unless it needs to dry out of course. :-) I get the crunchy dried areas--ewww!

    ReplyDelete