Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving and a Christmas tree!

November 24, 2014, Monday
Ahh...gently falling snow, crockpot chili for supper, along with tired, happy, children makes for a contented evening at home. 

It started out as a typical Monday morning...the one where we rush around to get everything done, run out the door, only to realize that someone forgot something important! The weather was rainy and dreary this morning, which does not help move slow children along! 

Right after school this morning, I went to Oshkosh to fit in a plasma appointment. We also had to stop by the pharmacy to pick up the rest of Wyatt's medicine. (He managed to pick up some sort of infection, and we took a visit to the walk in clinic yesterday. However, the pharmacy didn't have enough medicine, so we had to pick up the rest today.) My mom took the older two boys since they still had some school work to finish up. The thought of going to Oshkosh with three small children was not exactly on my "fun" list, but since we have some bills that need paying, it's one small way to make progress! 

By the time we finished with our errands, the rain had changed to snow which resulted in icy roads. I was thankful to make it to my parents house to pick up the older boys and then we headed home. Once we were home, Emma went down for a nap, while the others dressed themselves to go outside. Although the snow was wet and sloppy, the boys didn't care a bit! They were outside for over three hours entertaining themselves and having a great time. 

I finished up some baking for our pie and praise service tomorrow night, made a big crockpot of chili, and worked on our endless supply of laundry. Roger wasn't able to get any flying in today because of the wet, icy, conditions, but hopefully, he will be able to finish up soon! 

Funny moment of the day: Travis told me how glad he was that I was his mama. I paused to look at him and told him I loved him. He said, "yeah, I'm glad you came with our family. That way we didn't have to go out and buy a mama." I was completely confused! However, somewhere in his mind, his wires were crossed and that was his thinking! :) 

Thursday, November 27, 2014
Wow, the week flew by! We had a pie and praise service on Tuesday night, which was a fun and enjoyable time. We were supposed to have school on Tuesday, but we ended up having a snow day because we had to shovel the snow at the school house. Since by dad is on his hunting trip to Montana, we shoveled some of the snow at the church building. It was hard work with three boys, but they stuck with it. It took us a while, but we finished it in time to get Travis from 4k. However, it meant that we couldn't fit in a school day. We did get in our reading for the day, but I was exhausted after shoveling for two hours! 

On Wednesday we did school, shopped for groceries for Thanksgiving dinner, and spent some of the evening at our friends, Rick and Molly's. My sister, Jenn, came home for the weekend. She watched the boys while Roger and I had a fun evening with friends. The boys were more than happy to stay at home with Aunt Jenn, and it gave Roger, myself, and Emma, an enjoyable visit. We had a lot of laughs, great fellowship, and good food...fun times! 

Thursday....Thanksgiving day. We hosted at our house, but we had a small get together. Roger's two brothers, Dale and David came. My mom and sister, Jenn, came to dinner also. We did have some excitement when the tablecloth lit on fire and it was a little crazy for a bit! We had a paper tablecloth on the table, and one of our young sons accidently lit it on fire. Thankfully, Roger was able to get out the fire, but he does have some burns on his hands. I'm thankful that God protected us as it could have been much worse. 

We had an enjoyable dinner together, watched a movie, and got out the Christmas decorations. The boys have been very excited about getting a tree, so we told them we would get one on Friday. 

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday,
We did manage to squeeze in our tree cutting excursion on Friday. I had the kids dressed for outside and ready to go as soon as Roger walked in the door. I had called the tree farm earlier in the afternoon and they said that since they knew we would be coming, they would stay open for us! (How awesome is that?!)  

My sister, Jenn, came with us to cut a tree; and we all piled into our car. It's about a twenty minute drive to the Heritage Tree Farm, but I knew it wouldn't take the boys long to pick out a tree. :) The tree farm has sleds to haul the cut trees back to the barn, but in our case, we needed four sleds. Why? Well, because back behind the barn is a nice sledding hill; and since there is snow on the ground, we had to check out the sledding hill! :) By the time we picked out a tree, it was close to dark. We made the same mistake we've made for the last several years of going to this farm. We thought we had one type of tree, but it was actually a different type. Thankfully, we haven't ever picked out the most expensive tree, but next year we are taking a tree guide with us! :) 

This was Emma's second tree cutting experience, but she was a lot of fine this year. This was her first time wearing all her snow gear, and when I put her on her feet, she promptly fell over backwards! She was like a turtle on her back with all her winter gear on. She loved the sledding hill and enjoyed the snow. She just had to stick close to someone so that she could hang on to them. :) 

I love going on our Christmas tree hunt, whether it's at tree farm, the great outdoors in Alaska, or my parents backyard. We have such fun memories of each year that we've cut down our tree, and I love these moments with our children. 

When we arrived home, Roger got to work setting the Christmas tree in it's stand, I fixed supper, and the boys gathered up all the lights to make sure they worked. Travis had seemed fine all day, but after supper he just wanted to sit in the chair. He didn't want to help decorate, and he didn't seem to be feeling well. However, the other boys and Emma were more than excited to help! 

By Saturday morning, Travis was running a fever. He was content to stay on the couch while the boys played outside, did their chores, and made lots of noise. Travis moved from the couch to the bed and back to the coach all day. While it does give me one less child to keep track of, I miss my chattering, bubbly, little boy. 

Since my sister is town for the weekend, she graciously agreed to watch our children this afternoon so that we could go on a date! Woohoo!  Roger first went to the hanger to fly for an hour on the simulator, while I went to the YMCA. Our membership ends next Friday, so I'm trying to make the most of our last week. :) We tried out a new coffee shop, walked around for a bit, talked a lot, and enjoyed our time together. I'm so thankful that my sister watches the kids when she's in town, as the boys all love her so much. She gave the boys haircuts, took them to McDonald's, and plays games with them...no wonder they love her! Travis went along to McDonald's, but Jenn said he didn't eat much. By the time we arrived home from our date, he was running a bit of fever again.

Sunday
Roger took the three older boys to church, while I stayed home with Travis and Emma. Travis seems to be feeling much better, but his nose is running like a waterfall. Emma is feeling fine; but since there will be a dinner after the morning service, I'll keep her home so that she can nap. I actually had a very productive morning with cleaning, laundry, reading books, and wiping Travis's nose every thirty seconds! I enjoyed my time with my two little ones, although I did miss being in church today. 

It was a busy week with lots of fun and memories. Roger is going to try to fly with the instructor this week, and we are praying that the weather will work out for him to do that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment