Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Sunday, April 5, 2015

An Addendum to my Previous Post! Please Read!

After re-reading our blog post last night, I realized that I had left out many important details. I wanted to  post about Roger leaving for Arizona before I announced that he's already there! :) However, I also realize that I left a few holes that needed filling in. Unless you're one of the very few people that have been constantly updated as we've gone along this journey, it probably appears that we are moving in haste without very much direction! :) 

Isaiah 39:28
Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 

I love the promises that God gives in his Word! It's awesome to think that He never tires of hearing from me; He can handle all my emotions; His love is never ending, and the list goes on! 

Here are a few important details:
1) Roger left for his instrument training on February 28. He started his training on March 7 and began calling about various job postings shortly thereafter. Roger first contacted the man in Arizona around March 12, and the man was very interested in Roger. He thought that Roger could do a good job for the company because of Rogers previous experiences in working with people during his years of training and running sled dogs in Canada. Roger also grew up around aviation, so flying is something that he is very comfortable and familiar with...and he's good at it! :) 

2) Roger called about several banner towing job on the east coast. One of the problems with these types of jobs is that the pay is unstable. You get paid for the hours you fly, but you never know how much the paycheck will be each month. Although the pay is low in Arizona, we do have assurance of exactly how much the paycheck will be from month to month. It's much easier to manage a budget when you know what amount of money you're working with each month! :)

3) Roger did call several banner tow places, and he submitted numerous resumes. Another of the problems with these types of jobs is you don't know exactly what banners you'll be towing. So, if you were asked to tow a banner for a bar club, it's a requirement.  Neither Roger nor I really felt comfortable with that as we want to keep ourselves above reproach. On the other hand, in Arizona, Roger will be flying for a sight seeing company. Roger gave numerous tours when he was working for the dog sled tours in Canada, so this is something he thinks he'll enjoy. 

4) So, why are we looking into an RV? 
       Although the pay is low in Arizona, it's about the same amount that Roger was making in Wisconsin. The difference is that it costs more to live in Arizona! :) But in the last few years, I've becoming fairly adapt a couponing, saving, and budgeting. This is kinda the same thing, it's just in a different state. We CANNOT afford to rent a property in Page, Arizona! It would take up about eighty percent of our income to rent and then in most places you often pay utilities. But we can stay in a campground with water, electric and dump facilities for about 25% of our income. Is it ideal? No. Is it my dream to live in an RV with five small chicken? No. Is it for forever? I pray not! Is it doable for seven months? Absolutely! Both Roger and I feel like we adapt fairly well to the situations around us, so we are actually kinda looking forward to this adventure. 

5) Why Arizona? 
         Because when you start out in aviation, you have to go wherever you can get experience. It's a lot like new truck drivers. They get their CDL, and they begin looking for a job. However, everyone wants them to have experience. They have to look for a job that will take a chance on them being a newbie and give them some experience. In aviation, it's all about how many hours you have in flying. The more flying hours you have, the more jobs are available to you. Roger has a fabulous start in his flying hours, due largely to the fact that God allowed us to have an airplane for a few years. He needs about 400 more hours to get to 1000 hours. At 1000 hours he will have a whole new world of jobs available to him. Roger has talked with many people in the aviation field, both in our church and in the secular realm. After much discussion with some wise leaders, they've encouraged Roger to take the job. And after much, much prayer, and a few (or lots) of tears, we are heading to Arizona. 

6) And what about the family? 
     Anyone who knows anything about Roger would say that one of the most important things in the world to him is his family. This past year has been an unusal one, a long one, a different one, a challenging one, and a year of transition and change! Roger started on this job training to provide a better future for our family. It's been a difficult road for him and us, but we both have seen God's hand at work in a mighty way. We have managed to survive almost a year on a very limited income, and we have minimal debt. (Praise the Lord!) We are working hard to keep the debt at bay, and repay our debts as quickly as possible. While this is important to us, our family is our priority. We need to be together as a family, and if it requires me to live in an RV for several months then I am going to do it and be happy about it! (Or at least do my very best!) I'm actually kinda looking forward to it being just our family for several months. It's going to be very difficult and challenging, but I can't wait to see how God's going to continue to show Himself strong. 
   I have made some very close and dear friends in our church, and it's going to be very hard for me to say good by. Some of these ladies have watched my children, cried with me, encouraged me, prayed with me and for me, loved me and my family, and they are extremely dear to my heart. I'm thankful that nothing is forever, and maybe God will make a way for a job to open up back in Wisconsin! :) 

7) And what about church? Well, we've decided to take a sabbatical from going to church, and we will be doing our own home church in Arizona...I'm kidding!!! We've looked at churches via the web, and we haven't made any concrete decisions on anything. Yes, I'm praying for a good church. Yes, I want us to find a church that will be a good fit for us. Yes, I think church is important for our family. Yes, I desire the fellowship of the believers. However, until we are in Arizona, it's a little challenging to know exactly what's available as far as a good church for us. Our current church does offer live streaming, so  that's a least an option. But since I'm praying, I might as well pray big! I'm praying for a great church, with an awesome Vacation Bible School this summer! :) I'm also praying that God will allow us to make a few friends out there. I'm praying for discernment and wisdom for us, and that Roger will be able to make most of the church services with us. It would be very challenging for me to go to a new church by myself with the kids. 

Hopefully, this post will help clear up a few misconceptions that we've just jumped off the diving board without looking to see if there was water in the pool! :) We love you all! 

Tomorrow is the big day- the house will be going on the market! Please pray that God's hand will be evident and clear in this process! 

Thanks, 
Sarah


1 comment:

  1. If anyone can do it, you (with the Lord's help) can do it! Love you, my friend, and praying for this new chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete