Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Fall Beauty in Maine (and falling in Maine!)

If you’ve ever tried to plan a quick getaway as a family, and you have a large family, you know the struggle! It’s a struggle to find something for a large family to do on a shoe-string budget! Our boys are getting bigger, and it’s nearly impossible to fit us all into one small hotel room. Then there is the food cost factor on top of the lodging factor that makes planning a family getaway seem a bit daunting!

However, God is so good to us! He gives us unexpected blessings and surprises at every turn just because He loves us. Roger has a friend that has a small cabin up in Northern  Maine. When I was lamenting to Roger about struggling to find a place that we could get away as a family for a night, he thought of his friend. This friend had offered up their cabin to our family if we would like to use it for a day or two. This fit into our budget quite nicely, so we decided to do it! We planned a spur of the moment trip to Millinocket, Maine. We left on Friday afternoon and we came back on Saturday evening. It was a quick trip, but a beautiful one! The cabin was quite lovely, and it was right on the lake. Chandler was up at 4:50 am. On Saturday morning to go fishing! All the other kids slept in...until 5:20am! We enjoyed the lake sunrise, and the boys did catch some fish. Most of them were too small to keep, so we put them all back.

Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like you have two left feet?! That was definitely me on Saturday morning! First of all, I went to try out my own magnet fishing experience. Roger had tied my magnet to some paracord (50 feet), and I was anxious to see if I could snag anything magnetic. Well, on my very first attempt, I forgot to hang on to the string, and promptly threw the magnet and the rope into the lake! My boys were just in awe of how I managed to do that! Chandler managed to snag the rope with his fishing rod, and we rescued my magnet. I then decided to tie my rope to the tree so that I couldn’t do that again! The boys were fishing off the dock, so I decided to climb down on some rocks to use my magnet. All was well for a few moments until I leaned over too far, and fell into the lake! I was soaked from head to toe! My boys gaped at me with open mouths for a few seconds, and then they all burst out laughing! I must have looked a sight with water dripping off everywhere...it was so cold!!! I managed to haul myself out of the lake with Roger’s help. (He wisely refrained from asking me how that happened!) I waddled back to the house, any thankfully my clothes from the day before weren’t too dirty! I managed to hit my shin bone pretty hard on a rock, and it’s been a bit painful for a few days! It was just that kind of a morning!

We enjoyed God’s beautiful creation, hiked on some great trails, went down into an ice cave, and made some wonderful memories together. Garett and Chandler did miss out on an opportunity to go on a teen active, but sometimes you just can’t do it all! We chose to do this as a family, and I am so glad that we did.

 Roger has had some rough days at work as he prepares a plane for paint. He is missing being in the  plane, and he is ready to get back to that.  My friend, Allison, and I were able to have lunch together last week, and I certainly enjoyed that! Since she has a daughter in high school, and I’ve been working, we just do not have very much time to spend together! I’ve been missing our deep conversations and laughter together. Hopefully, we will be able to find our routine, and we can get back to sharing a bit more time together.

I had a meeting with Garett’s teacher, speech teacher, and several others today to discuss Garett’s education process. Garett is a slow learner, but he is progressing. His teacher reports that he is a hard worker, and his speech teacher gave him high praise also. Out of all the speech teachers that Garett could have gotten, God gave Garett a wonderful Christian lady to give him lessons! She has been such a blessing to us, and we are so very thankful for her work with Garett. I’m thankful that Garett
will be able to continue to receive speech lessons twice a week, and we are looking at getting him    
  some additional help in reading. Garett is a hard worker, and a great kid. We will continue to pray for God to work in his heart and life.



And now for pictures...lots of them!!

 






 






 





 




 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment