Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Banquet and Magnet Fishing!

God is good and faithful, just as He always is to us! He brought us safely through another week; and although it had its challenging moments, we saw God at work.


 




 



 





My biggest praise from last week is simply that the banquet/pledge dinner is behind us! I don’t have to have nightmares about roasting turkeys and making pumpkin rolls this week! I made nine pumpkin rolls for the dinner, and we did not have as many people as we originally thought that we might. That means that we have lots of leftover pumpkin rolls, which totally delights everyone in my family! We served a menu of turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, sautéed green beans, rolls, cranberry Caesar salad as well as carrot cake or pumpkin roll for dessert- it was quite the meal! I am so thankful for my friend, Robin, who graciously put together the shopping list for me. She also contacted area businesses about donating food to our dinner. She spent most of the day on Friday at the church with me helping to prepare the food. It would have been much harder for me to coordinate it all without her help! I am also thankful for those that helped peel potatoes, wash mountains of dishes, and those who helped serve the meal. It took a lot of people working together to coordinate the banquet, and I am so thankful that this event is behind us!



However, I do feel that God greatly blessed our school on Friday night. Although it was a smaller crowd than we had planned for, God knows best. The crowd that came was gracious, kind and supportive of the school. And we cant have a second annual banquet until we have the first! The seventh and eighth graders came to help serve the meal, and they waited on tables. They did such a good job of asking people what they wanted to drink, how they could help, and being polite. I gave the students a crash course in serving and in etiquette on Friday afternoon, and they gave it their best effort on Friday night. While we did not make the amount of money that I had been praying for, we did get the perfect amount that God wanted to provide. This Christian school has been in existence since 1978, and Lord willing, it will continue to stand firmly on God’s Word and endeavoring to give
students a quality Christian education for many, many years to come. We are blessed.


Terri (a good family friend) was able to watch the younger four children on Friday night. Garett helped serve at the banquet, and Roger was working. It was a long day for me on Friday as I assisted with Preschool, made and prepared food, and then stayed to clean up and put away food. I think Garett and I arrived home around ten pm. I was thankful that Terri was willing and available to watch our children, and that Roger came over after work to help wash dishes!


On Saturday we spent a low-key day at home-Hallelujah! Roger and the boys did some yard work, while I folded mountains of laundry. Then we took some time in the afternoon to run a few errands together and to spend some time as a family. We needed that. Roger has been busy at work with preparing a plane to be painted, which has meant additional hours for him at work. However, the sun is starting to set a little earlier so that means that Roger will be able to start coming home earlier.

As far as preschool goes, I am really enjoying the job. Like most of the rest of my life, it is never boring in there! Renee and I seem to be able to work together quite easily, and I am thankful for her friendship to me.

Last week held some interesting moments, but God provided grace for every moment. God provided moments that gave me opportunities to praise Him and to pray to Him for wisdom.

I’m not saying that Roger and I have it all together by ANY means because we Do NOT! There are many, many different styles and ways of parenting, and our society today is flooded with books and information on that topic.   I am thankful for the many people that influenced Roger and I in our early years of raising our children. I am thankful that God gives grace for the many, many mistakes that we make!  I am thankful that I had the opportunity to attend a Bible college where classes in parenting and raising children helped to form principles and guidelines that I would use years later as the principles are founded on God’s Word. I often tell Roger that if our children grow up to love and serve Jesus it will be only because of Jesus and not because of their mother! I fail so often (everyday) at taking advantage of opportunities to point my kids to Jesus. I get upset, frustrated, respond without grace or am perhaps too passionate or not passionate enough, oh, the struggles are real! But the grace of God surrounds me, and His mercies are new every morning! I already know that I’m an imperfect mama, but I want my children to see a mama that asks for forgiveness, cries out to God, and has a real relationship with her Heavenly Father!


 One other similarity I see is the comparison between preschoolers and teenagers! As Garett enters his teen years, I see many similarities between him and the preschoolers. Garett is sometimes moody, always hungry, often smelly (especially according to his sister), and often loud! He is also loving, sweet and kind! A friend told me years ago to “Wait and see. When your boys become teens you’re going to think you’re back in the toddler years” I didn’t believe her and practically laughed, but oh, its a bit true! However, I love them all dearly-both our students and our children! We have such opportunities to point them to Jesus, but far too often I lay in bed at night thinking of the missed opportunities. But God is faithful to give new mercies every morning!

We also were able to see a butterfly come out of its cocoon. It was the perfect opportunity to teach our students about the beauty and amazement of God’s Creation.

The boys enjoyed “Magnet fishing” this week also. Oh, you don’t know what that is?! Ha! Neither did I! The boys spent some of their money and bought these magnets from the Harbor Freight Store. Chandler bought a 150lb magnet (the magnet is not 150lbs...it attracts and can hold up to 150lbs.) The other boys have slightly smaller ones, but everyone has one-except Garett. He didn't think he wanted one, but now that the other boys have magnets, I think he is wanting one also. So back to magnet fishing- you go “fishing” with the magnets! The object is not to get actual fish, but rather fishing lures, anything magnetic, etc. I had such a good time at the lake on Sunday afternoon with the kids as we did magnet fishing. The boys were actually quite successful, and acquired enough lures that the magnets have paid for themselves. Its actually really quite fun to throw in the magnet, reel it in and see if anything is attached. The boys use paracord to tie to the magnets, and they have quite the system worked out. It was a fun afternoon.

This week is a bit more relaxed for me as we do not have a banquet on Friday. Roger and I are trying to plan a quick family getaway this weekend, but we will see. God is good, and I hope He is real and at work in your life also!


No comments:

Post a Comment