Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Thursday, October 31, 2019

Tears and Trips (to Wisconsin)














It’s 11:00pm. on Tuesday night, and I am sitting in the Chicago airport waiting to fly back to Maine. It was a crazy few days, but I have no regrets over the craziness of the days. I’ve shed quite a few tears over the last few days, and I’m thankful for the promise that someday God will wipe away all tears form our eyes in Heaven. I’m thankful for the ability to cry and to feel emotions like sadness and sorrow as well as joy and peace. We serve a God who created us so perfectly!

I got a call from my sister, Hannah, on Thursday night. My dad had tried to call earlier, but because I was going to be in a meeting, I didn’t answer the phone. However, when my sister called about 1/2hour later, I knew something was amiss. I stepped out of the meeting to take the phone call, and my sister told me that Grandma had passed away,  My sister and her husband had gone out to Wisconsin for a few days to visit my parents. On Thursday they decided to take a trip up to Wausau to visit Grandma. Little did they know that Grandma was going to see Jesus that afternoon. My dad had mentioned to me that Grandma’s life seemed to be winding down, but I was still taken a bit off guard when my sister said that Grandma had passed away. This past summer, we had tried to get up to see grandma on three different occasions during the week we were home. However, the truck broke down once, then our van needed fixing, and then we didn’t have a vehicle big enough to take all of us! I’ll never know why God chose not to allow the pieces to fall into place for that, but it is what it is. Hannah mentioned that Grandma’s death was one of the most peaceful she had ever witnessed. I’m glad that Grandma went in peace, and I know that she was ready to go to Heaven. She will be missed by all those that loved her, but Heaven is sweeter.


I knew that I wanted to go out to Wisconsin for the funeral if it was at all possible. Roger and I immediately started looking for flights, but we couldn’t move forward until we knew when the funeral would be. My dad called me on Friday afternoon to tell me that the there would be a family viewing on Sunday and a memorial service on Tuesday. I did not see how on earth I would ever be able to go on such short notice, but Roger and I decided to see what plans we could come up with that would work. I called our school administrator to see about moving music classes, and finding a sub for the three days I would need to miss. I contacted the boys piano teacher to see about moving piano
lessons. And the pastor to tell him I wouldn’t be able to teach Sunday school. And I called a friend to see about covering my preschool Bible class on Sunday evening. And then there were plans to coordinate for the kids to and from school, grocery shopping to be done....oh, and to find a plane ticket! How did the details get together?! Only because we serve a big, big God! I was able to find a plane ticket from Boston to Chicago, and it was cheap enough that we could afford to send one child with me. Since Garett had gone to Haiti, and Chandler had taken a trip with Roger last year to pick up an airplane part, we decided  to see if Wyatt would want to come with me. He immediately said yes, and his teacher was fine with him missing a few days of school. I decided not to tell my parents that I was bringing Wyatt but to surprise them. We found a car rental in Chicago, and a flight out of Boston on Saturday evening. It is a very weird feeling to book a ticket one day and fly out on the next! That is definitely not how my planner, organizer brain functions most of the time! Roger was contacted the small air company that flys out of Roger’s airport. Roger was able to get Wyatt and I booked on the flight out of our local airport at no extra cost! That was totally of the Lord that we could fly to Boston so that Roger did not have to drive us, and we had a little more time to prepare. I have been blessed
with some wonderful and dear friends who came together on behalf of our family. Terri watched our kids on Sunday, another friend (Ashley) made a meal, another friend (Claire) volunteered to take Emma on Tuesday afternoon  and pick up the other kids. I am still just in awe of how God  orchestrated so many details! Roger was supportive of me going, and encouraged me to bring along Wyatt. I am so thankful for Roger. 


Wyatt and I landed in Chicago at nine pm on Saturday night, and it was raining. We took the shuttle over to the rental car place, and apparently everyone was renting from Thrifty car rental that evening!  It was a long wait to get our car, and Wyatt and I were both so tired! However, God gave grace and  we arrived at my parents house around two am (which was three am in Maine!). My sister, Jen, had arrived from South Dakota only about an hour before us. Hannah and Josh were able to stay a few extra days for the service for Grandma.

On Sunday afternoon we drove up to Wausau for the viewing for the family. Wyatt was one of the
only children there on Sunday afternoon, and he seemed unsure. I’m thankful for how my sister, Jen, loves him and takes him under her wing. We were able to go out to dinner with some of our extended family, and the laughter and good conversations were good medicine. Some of my cousins I haven’t seen in years, so the reunion was sweet. Wyatt was also glad when we went back to my parents house,  and he could ride the four-wheeler!

On Monday we soaked up our time with family. Wyatt went with Uncle Josh and Papa to do some pigeon hunting, and Wyatt rode the four-wheeler on many trips around the yard! I was able to squeeze in a quick visit with my friend, Jenna, who came over with her four little ones. It was a morning full of good fellowship and good conversations. Later in the day, we went to do a little shopping together and had dinner together. It’s been almost four years since Jen, Hannah and I have all been at my parents house. I am thankful that God provided the opportunity for me to return to Wisconsin for a few days. Wyatt was perfectly delighted that he woke up to snow on the ground on Tuesday morning!


Tuesday was a day full of emotions, conversations, reunions, and driving! Hannah and Josh we’re leaving from the service to begin the drive back to Maine, Jen was leaving from the service to head to South Dakota, and Wyatt and I were leaving to head to Chicago. We ended up taking four vehicles up to Wausau for the service, as we were all heading in different directions afterwards. What a blessing to visit with cousins that I haven’t seen in years...some of them over ten years! It was so good to reconnect, and visit but the time was so short. I know that Grandma would’ve been delighted with all the family visiting that went on that afternoon. I especially enjoyed catching up with my cousin, Justine. We spent the little time we had discussing things that matter for eternity. We discussed marriage, parenting, seasons of life, and prayer requests, and I will treasure up those conversations for months to come. It was a blessing to sit at the table for the meal after the service with my cousins, Justine, Erica, and Beth...the years have flown by!


The one thing that really captured my attention during Grandma’s service was her Bible. The pastor mentioned her Bible, and how she loved her Bible. Some of the pages were tattered and torn, the Bible was full of notes and highlights, and it was clearly a treasure to her. What a testimony! I want my Bible to be well-loved as was Grandma’s Bible.

It was a crazy few days, and I cannot help but praise our great, great God! Our flight out of Chicago on Wednesday morning was a little delayed due to snow, but we arrived in Boston on time to get the flight to Rockland. Wyatt and I were able to get on the flight from Boston to Rockland so once again, Roger did not need to drive to Portland or Boston to get us. We arrived back in our area by 10:30am on Wednesday morning. We were both very, very tired, but thankful to be home. Wyatt said that he was glad he was able to come with me, and I hope we created some memories that will last a lifetime. I’m so thankful for this sweet, sweet boy, and I pray that he will grow up to love Jesus passionately. Wyatt and I were both in bed by 6:30pm, and we slept long and hard. It was a weird feeling to go to school on a Thursday, but here we are in the last half of the week. We are rejoicing to be home, and we are thankful for each one that helped out our family in so many ways this past week.

To God be the Glory!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment