Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Snow Days, December Memories and HOPE!

A snow day!!! And it was a snow day that made sense even to this Wisconsin girl! We woke up to snow on Tuesday morning that continued all day long. Roger had told me on Monday night that he was fully expecting a snow day on Tuesday, and he’s usually right. The kids were excited about having a snow storm, even though that means they will have to shovel the ice rink. Roger did not have to go to work either today, so it was nice to spend the day at home.

Wyatt and Garett have piano lessons on Monday afternoons, so it’s been close to dark by the time we get home. Since we anticipated a snow day on Tuesday, I called Roger to see about getting a Christmas tree. Our tradition in Wisconsin was to always to to this cute little Christmas tree farm and cut down our own tree, we’d been doing that since our first year of marriage. However, since we’ve moved to Maine, we’ve had trouble finding a local spot to go and cut our open Christmas tree, and one that wouldn’t break the bank. We’ve yet to find a spot, and we wanted to try a Christmas tree farm this year. However, with the coming snow storm, the kids asked when we would be able to get our Christmas tree. We generally put up our tree shortly after Thanksgiving and take it down shortly after Christmas. This year the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is really short! The boys asked if maybe we could just get a tree from a tree lot instead of having to wait until later this week or even next week before getting a tree. I called Roger, who was still at work, but he agreed that it would probably be wise to just go ahead a get a pre cut tree from a tree lot. So after piano lessons, we trotted off to tree to find our Christmas tree. The first tree lot we went to wasn’t open, so we found a different place. Emma decided that the boys could pick out the tree as it was cold and windy! The boys piled out of the van to look over the trees. Chandler is our budget conscious child, so he  immediately asked the man how much did the trees cost! The smallest and cheapest trees were $25.00 and the prices increased from there. The first row of trees were pretty short, as they were about as   tall as I am! We checked the second row of trees, and Garett found one that was a bit taller than he is,  and the tree was $30.00. We didn’t spend a lot of time picking out a tree, as it wasn’t long before we were cold. Thankfully, the man helped Garett tie on the Christmas tree and we headed home. Although it was not the experience we had planned, the kids were happy. I think it’s the first Christmas tree I’ve ever picked out without Roger- what a weird feeling! Emma was happy to help decorate the tree, and while it’s not exactly how I would’ve decorated the tree, it’s a beautiful representation of our children and their ornaments.


We enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner with some friends of ours that invited us to join their family. Allison invited to come along with their family to her mother-in- laws. “Grammie” had about fifteen of her own grandchildren at Thanksgiving dinner, and we added another seven people. Yet, Grammie graciously hosted about thirty people in her home for dinner. We were thankful to be invited to share in their dinner, and we are thankful for their friendship to us. It was a good day, with good fellowship  and delicious food.

We spent our long weekend soaking up time at home. Garett went with Roger to work on Saturday, but for the most part we just stayed around home. Roger was working, so we were not able to get the Christmas tree (but ended up doing it on Monday without him!)  It was nice to get some extra cleaning done around our house as we prepare for Christmas. The kids are excited about Christmas, and they have put together a list of things that they would like to do in December. They enjoy these school days as we get closer to break as they have classroom parties, field trips, and special events. I think Roger and I especially miss our church in Wisconsin this time of year, as our church hosted special parties and get together for adults. I always attended the ladies Christmas party and this time of year is when a new secret sister was chosen for the new year. Roger and I would attend the staff  Christmas party and our Sunday school Christmas party, and I miss those special times of fellowship,   food and Christmas cheer. But that’s neither here nor there, so moving on!  

We are down to the wire with the Christmas program details and both the students and the teacher are ready to be done! But we aren’t done yet, so as I told my students, we must “finish the race set before us”. I also told them how my dad often sang a song while I was growing up about “don’t quit”. I still remember the words to that song. “Don’t quit, there’s a job to be done. Don’t  quit there’s a race to be won, don’t quit. Weary Christian, don’t quit!” Singing is not necessarily my Dad's talent, but making a joyful noise is something he does very well! We only have a few practices left before we wrap up the Christmas program for another year. I’m not sure that God will bring me back to this next year, but I certainly have learned a lot in the three years I’ve taught  music!

The ice skating rink that the boys have been working on will be making its debut either tomorrow or Friday. The boys (especially Chandler) have been diligent in carefully adding water to each layer.  Bringing the water hose in and out, being patient and diligent...I think they’ve learned a lot!

I’ve been reading an Advent devotional book, and I’ve been teaching about it in our children’s Sunday School class. I am so thankful for the HOPE that came because of Jesus! Jesus became a willing servant, a humble baby to rescue a world of unwilling, ungrateful sinners. I am so glad that He rescued me, and that in Him my Hope is found! There is something very special to me about doing my devotions in the morning with the Christmas tree lit and the room quiet. (Quietness is short- lived around here, so I relish it greatly!)


 

 




We still don’t have our Christmas photo done or our Christmas letter written, but at the rate time is flying by and the speed that I am getting things done, I’m sure it will be a New Years Greeting (or maybe an Easter greeting?!)

As we enter these busy and special days in December, I hope that you find some time to spend in God’s Word. It’s a special season every year, and I want to savor the moment with family and friends, as well as my devotional time in the morning.

What are your family traditions for this month? A few of ours include:  decorating the tree, making cookies, drawing names for each other, visiting older folks to sing carols to, making a blessing box (random treats and small gifts to surprise someone or a family with), ice skating as a family, going to the Christmas parade, going to the Walk to Bethlehem (a church that does a great job taking you on a journey to Bethlehem) and special dates with our children.

 






 



 



 




2 comments:

  1. Josh also sings to me frequently, "Don't quit, weary Christian, don't quit!" It has become a theme song of sorts for me. Love getting caught up on your blog! Keep it up if you can! Love, Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm pretty sure that Josh's dad and my dad were very familiar with that song! Seems like something we need to remind ourselves of today on April 1, 2020 also! Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete