Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Thursday, November 29, 2012

One long day...day nine!



Buffalo

                                                                 One very long day!

We left Fort Nelson, BC, this morning about 7:15am. It’s a 12 hour drive to Whitehorse, Yukon, so the day has been long. The scenery has been breathtaking and majestic. I’m thankful that driving on snowy, winding, mountain roads doesn’t bother my husband because if it was up to me to get us there, we’d probably still be at the top of the first mountain! Roger asked me if driving up and down the mountains made me nervous and I pled the fifth. However, it makes me more than a little nervous! The first several hours, I was nauseous, but was reminded of the verse in Isaiah. “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” It was a reminder that nothing can happen that is not God’s perfect plan. After that I was able to relax and truly enjoy the ride.

Wild Horses
The sun came up about 8:30am and is getting ready to set at the time of this writing (3:00pm.) It’s been a brisk, clear cold day. We started out with the temperature right at 0 degrees, but as we’ve traveled it’s continued to go down. It’s about -20 degrees, but we are thankful that the roads are clear (as clear as they get this far north!). We’ve seen two moose, lots of caribou, deer, a wolf, bison, wild horses, and a fox. The boys were thrilled to see all the wildlife!

Upper British Columbia and the Yukon is a very isolated. In eight hours of driving, we’ve only passed 52 vehicles! (Definitely a place you want to make sure that you’re not going to run out of gas!) I’m sure that there is a lot more touristy type places open during the summer time place, but this time of year it’s quite a hike between gas stops. We paid $6.60 per gallon of gas at one of those stops! We stopped beside the road more times than I can count to “water the snow”. It will be a late night before we get to Whitehorse, and we have another 12-14 hour driving day tomorrow to get to Fairbanks.


Update: We arrived in Whitehorse, Yukon about 7pm. The kids did a great job traveling, all things considered. Thankful for a hotel room and a place to sleep tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What an adventure! Praying for your family & dreaming about what it must be like! I'd love to see all that wildlife, but would be nervous like you on those roads!
    ~Laura (Bahn) Wornell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nauseous, huh? Maybe you caught my bug ;P

    ReplyDelete