Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, March 16, 2015

One Foot in Front of the Other!

The awesome, wonderful news is that Roger is ready to take his commercial test! The school there tells the students that most average between 14-20 hours before they're ready to take it. Roger will be right at ten hours when he takes his test. Yes, I'm very proud of him! He's looking into some jobs in the area, but nothing is for sure right now. He was also able to stay with a friend this week so that is also an answer to prayer. Roger said that he really enjoys this school in Lakeland, Florida. It's more of a family run school, so Roger really appreciates that aspect. It seems like it's a good fit for him, and the school appears to do a good job of working with their students. Praise the Lord!

On my Homefront, we are surviving. I wouldn't say that we're thriving, but we are surviving! I'm thankful for the warmer temperatures the last few days that have allowed the kids to play outside for hours at a time. I've been able to get a little more painting done around the house, and I will only have to go back to touch up a few areas that have small handprints on them. 

On Saturday, it was just Emma and I. We went to part of the workers training at church, which was actually a big blessing to me. I was not delighted with the thought of sitting through a workers seminar, but I decided to go at least for a little bit. It was actually very helpful, and I learned some valuable tips on how to teach Bible verses to our children's church class. God gave me a blessing, even though I wasn't looking for one. :) 

However, after the workers training, I went home and started painting. Unfortunately Emma had taken a little nap in the car, so she was ready to go! For a while, it went fairly smoothly. She played in the garage with the wagon, while I painted the back door. Then I moved to the front porch to paint the front door. Emma wanted to be right near where I was, so she climbed up the steps to the porch. She managed to trip into the paint pan with her boot, and she proceeded to place several white little footprints on the porch! I finally just gave her a snack out on the porch, and she was content to sit there and eat while I worked! :) 

I had just finished the bathroom door and the boys door when the boys arrived back from their trip. They had a great time with their Papa in the woods, but they were tired and filthy! I reminded them to please not touch anything as it might have wet paint. However, when I went to get the two younger boys in the tub, I noticed that the bathroom door had a handprint on it! There was really nothing I could do as the paint had to dry, and the boys weren't touching anything in purpose. But when you're short, you just push on the door; you don't use the door knob!  Oh well, it is what it is! 

Sunday was a full day. It was our week for chukdrens church, but Roger is gone and our other helpers are on a missions trip. We were a little short handed, but somehow it all came together! After church, we went home. We had college snack after church, so I knew it would be a later night. I had planned on quiet time in the afternoon, but Emma fell asleep on the way home. She thought that was enough of a nap, so quiet time was futile. Instead, I sent them all outside so I could gather my thoughts...I think! :) 

Monday, March 16
Another very busy full day with schooling, cleaning, packing, and painting. It seems to be never ending! My dad brought the boys donuts at school today, and they were very excited about their treat. However, Emma managed to sample them first, and she took a bite out of every single one!
                       
      

Tuesday, March 17
We had our meeting with the realtors today, and both Roger and I were disappointed with the results. I realize that everyone thinks their home is worth more than it is, but wow! We are praying for wisdom on what to do, and how God wants to be glorified in all of this. It also doesn't hurt to get a second opinion, so maybe we'll look into that also. 

My friend, Gretchen, graciously watched my children this evening. I had to come into town to drop off some food for a funeral tomorrow. I was wanting to visit my friend, Jenna, who was in the hospital. Gretchen watched all five of my children for me while I visited with Jenna. Jenna is one of my dearest friends, and the kind that I can talk to for hours when it feels like fifteen minutes! I came up to the hospital around 6:30, and told myself that I would leave by 7:30...it was closer to 8:30! Our time of fellowship was sweet, our conversations were about anything and everything, and I treasure the memories. 

When I went to pick up my kids from Gretchen's house, I asked her if she was going to the funeral at church the next day. She replied that she would like to, but she didn't have anyone to watch the kids. There are very, very few people that I would rearrange our homeschooling schedule for, but I did for Gretchen! :) She has helped me with so many things, and watching the kids while she went to the funeral seemed like the thing for me to do. So, I worked out the schooling schedule with my mom. We thought we would have to do school on Saturday if we couldn't squeeze in the extra time to make up for the missed day. The boys worked unusually hard on Thursday and Friday so that they wouldn't have to do school on Saturday. I'm very glad that I only do something like that once a schoo year, but I'm glad I made the effort for Gretchen. :) 

Wednesday, March 18,
We left our house around 9:15 this morning, and we came home about 9:00 at night! It was a long day, but I think it was fairly productive. I watched eleven children this morning while Gretchen attended the funeral. She came back shortly after lunch time. The little ones went down for naps, and I went to do plasma. I've been approved to go back, but I've been struggling to find the time to do it. After plasma, I ran a few errands and then came back to Gretchen's house. Since it was already 3:00, I decided it didn't pay to go home for an hour and turn around and come back. Gretchen offered to feed us supper, and I said "yes, please". We had a great time of fellowship in the afternoon as we raked up leaves and cleaned up the yard. I didn't get a whole lot done at my home, but it was productive. 

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday...
On Thursday, Wyatt was learning the special sound of "ar" in star. So he's sounding out words that have the "ar" sound in them like ark, barn, etc. He comes to the word "farm" and he starts to sound it out. He starts to giggle, and I ask him what's so funny. He replies, "it's going to be a funny word, Mom." I asked him what word it was going to be, and he replies, "It's going to say 'ar' in fart!" He then about falls off his chair laughing until I tell him "It's farm, Wyatt. The word is farm". I don't like the kids to use the word "fart" so Wyatt thought it was going to be so funny! Yeah, I'm pretty sure A Beka books is not going to use the word "fart" for one of their "ar" words! 

On Friday afternoon, my dad called to say that he was heading up to Wausau to collect maple sap. I asked the boys if any of them wanted to go, and surprisingly, just Chandler and Wyatt wanted to go. Garett and Travis helped me pull weeds, clean up the yard, and fold clothes. Since I needed to get a few things at Menards, I decided to take the three kids on a date. The boys were so excited! They changed their clothes, helped get Emma ready, and even opened up the doors for me. I told them that when they get older and they take a girl on a date, they have to pay for the girl's dinner. However, since they're still young, mom will pay. I mentioned that on a date you should have good manners like opening doors, saying thank you, etc. Garett replied, "yeah, if my girl date doesn't say thank you for dinner, I'm going to drive off without her and get a different one!" I assured him that he should still have good manners and take the girl home and not drive off without her!! Oh dear, we have a lot to teach!!

                                 
  

The boys are very excited about spending some time with the Schilder kids on Saturday. We were invited to go with them up to Appleton to go to Monkey Joes. It's a place with a lot of inflatable things for children to climb on. The boys have been so excited about going, and I know it will be a fun day for them. 

Saturday, March 21
What a week! I'm tired and ready for bed! It was a very full day today with an activity with friends, then back home for cleaning and painting. The Schilder family came over tonight for supper, and Sean put up some of the trim that I need to put up. Gretchen helped rake the yard, paint the trim, and made everything more fun. I was in the process of redoing my dining room table; but when Sean saw my paint job on the table, he offered to finish. :) Sean paints for a living, so I think my painting skills were driving him crazy. It does look nice though, so I'll have to take a picture later. 

I received a very encouraging note in the mail from a friend today. It was totally unexpected, and it was a special encouragment to me. I'm so thankful for all those that have written notes, prayed for us, encouraged us, and loved our family...we are so blessed!

There are so many more things that happened this week, but I'm tired! 

From Roger: 
I'll be taking my commercial rating test on Monday. I've pursued several differnt job leads while I've been down here in Florida, but I don't believe this is where God is going to give me a job. Because the tourist season starts earlier here, most positions for flying tourists have been filled. I do have a phone interview with a man in New Jersey, and one with someone offering a job in Arizona. I'm also filling out an application for a job in Ohio. Please be praying that God will provide the perfect job for me, and that I can start quickly! 


No comments:

Post a Comment