Our family

Our family
Robertson Family

Monday, September 4, 2017

School! Anniversary! Birthdays and a Dirt Bike!

We have survived the first three days of going back to school, we celebrated Garett's eleventh birthday, and we also celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary!
 



We started off the week with a day taken as our family to celebrate Travis' birthday. His birthday was  on August 25, but with Roger working we just weren't able to celebrate it together. One of the things on the kids bucket list for this summer was to do mini-golf. Roger has been saving his tip money over the summer, and we had enough to go take the kids on a little adventure. We went up to Bangor to have lunch a chick-fil-a...yummy! Then we went to a family park that offered go-carts, mini golf, and batting cages. It was a bit of a bummer that Chandler wasn't quite tall enough to ride on the go carts, and Garett could not take a rider because he was too young. I ended up taking Wyatt (we won, btw!) and Roger took Travis, but Chandler and Emma had to sit by the gate and watch. That was a bit hard, but they handled it very well. Wyatt and I did win, but I'm pretty sure it's because Roger waited to make sure that Garett's car was not going to stall out on him again! It was fun, but it'll be a more fun experience in a few years when all the kids can do it. Then we did mini golf together. The boys really enjoyed that and they were all within a few points of each other. It was a fun day together, and we enjoyed our time together.

Tuesday was our first day of school for the new school year! It seems like we never even missed a beat as we walked back to school that morning! The kids were excited about seeing their friends, the new year, and new adventures. Garett and Chandler have the same teacher, and it's just a reminder to me of how God takes care of us. Since Garett struggles so much with education, I was a bit concerned about who his new teacher would be. However, through a series of events, Garett and Chandlers teacher moved up in grades to teach fourth and fifth grade this year. Wyatt and Travis both have teachers that are new to them, but not new to the school or teaching! I'm excited about the new year. Roger had off on Tuesday and even though he had a bunch of things he needed to do, he took the   time to help me with a bulletin board. I know he loves me! We worked on the bulletin board and finished it up, I spent a few moments cleaning and tidying up a classroom, and then Roger and Emma went to do a few more errands. I got to do some grocery shopping...all by myself!! Yay! We went for a walk together before we needed to pick up the boys from school. They had a great first day. Travis told me that his teacher was nice and, "School was good today, mom. I think I'll go back tomorrow." Umm...yes, yes you will go back tomorrow!! Wyatt seems to be struggling a bit with the adjustment back to school, but I'm hoping it's just fatigue and adjustment to the routine again.
 


Wednesday was Garett's birthday! I can't believe that our oldest child is now eleven! I look back over the years, and it never ceases to amaze me how time has flown by! This boy struggles with learning, but he has a happy countenance. If you know Garett, you know that he loves to smile. He has a heart for aviation, and he wants to get his pilots license. He is sweet to his little sister, and plays nicely with other kids ( just not always his brothers!)  He asked if he could bring treats for his class, and I said yes. I told him that I could make cupcake, bring doughnuts, or make fruit cups for his class. He asked if I would make fruit cups for his class. So we cut up watermelon, grapes, blueberries, mangos, and cantaloupe to make treats for his class. Cupcakes would have been cheaper, and doughnuts would have been easier, but I'm thankful for the choice he made. His class enjoyed the treat, and it made his day a bit special. Garett's birthday was a bit of a dud (in my opinion) as he had school, I had a meeting after school so we didn't get home until late, his daddy was working, and there was prayer  meeting that night. I probably would've forgone going to prayer meeting, but it was one of my friends from college representing their ministry. Thankfully, Roger and I had talked with Garett about his birthday before it came around. We assured him that we would do something together to celebrate his  special day. My sister, Jen, had sent him a birthday present, so that was a highlight for him! Garett enjoys wearing his cowboy boots, and Aunt Jen sent him a cowboy hat! I fail this young boy so many times in my examples to him, how I respond to him, and pointing him to Jesus. I'm thankful that  Garett is quick to love and forgive, but how my heart yearns for him to grow up to love the Lord (which is also my prayer for the rest of my children!)

One of my highlights from Wednesday was spending some time with my friend, Allison. As the summer flew by, our coffee dates and time to spend together was about nil! Since Emma got to go to her preschooler class in Wednesday morning, Allison and I spent the morning solving the world's problems...well, not really. But we certainly discussed plenty of them! I am so thankful for her  friendship, and having a friend to share my burdens and concerns with as well. We spent some time praying for many things, and it's such a blessing to have a friend to pray with me.

Thursday was the third day of school and also the last day of school for this week. Since it's Labor Day weekend, we get to ease into school a bit. Emma and I took the morning to go visit a friend that recently had a new baby. Hannah has become a good friend to me, and since she has three littles in three years, we have many things in common! Emma and I took a meal out to them, visited for a bit, and enjoyed our morning together. I am trying to make sure that I keep Tuesday and Thursdays as my days away from the school. Not that I couldn't find opportunities to serve or be a blessing there, but I also have other people that need to be visited or encourage, a house to maintain, meals and laundry to stay on top of, and a husband and children who need me. It was a good morning.
 



Friday was a down day. Adjusting to school is hard work, and the kids were thankful to have the opportunity to putter around in their back yard. We have a skunk that's been seen several times around the yard, and the skunk sprayed sometime in the night. Roger and I woke up to the smell of skunk around three in the morning, and since the windows were open....well, the house smells a bit like skunk! Emma woke up in the morning and kept accusing the boys of passing gas! They thought it was quite funny, and told her that the skunk had passed gas. It was quite a strong smell for much of the day, but I think the smell is fading! Either that or we are getting used to it! We took Roger lunch today since he was working, but other than that, we had a very uneventful day. And we need uneventful days now and then!

Saturday was our twelfth anniversary! We celebrated twelve years that have flown by through various jobs, raising children, job training, a trip to Alaska, a baby girl, moving to Arizona, and settling in Maine. This year was probably the most unromantic anniversary we've had in twelve years, but it's another year to celebrate the fact that God's grace has been evident in our lives. Since Roger had the day off work, we took the time to celebrate Garett's birthday. A trampoline park was having their grand opening event, and it was a free day to the public. Hooray! It was something that Garett really wanted to do, we could all do it together, and it was free! We spent the morning doing that, and then came home for some rest time. I was able to squeeze in a little run, and then we decided to take a walk as a family. We went on a walk by one of the nearby lighthouses. It was a fun time together as  we watched the moon come up over the water. We closed the day by having ice cream at McDonald's. Although not the most adventurous or exciting day ever, I have much to rejoice in tonight. Roger was able to have the day off so we could celebrate Garett's birthday, we have been married happily for twelve years, and the day was well spent. I look forward to many, many more years of marriage. Roger works hard, loves me, loves his kids, spends time with us, loves the Lord, is committed to church, sacrifices daily of his time and energy  to make our marriage better, and I am so blessed!

Tonight, Sunday, wraps up another week for our family, and marks the beginning of a new week. We went to church this morning, and then the boys and Roger went to pick up the dirt bike. Remember how the boys had been given money early in the summer for a dirt bike? We've been looking and researching over the summer, and today we bought one. We were able to get one that was on sale for Labor Day, and it was in our budget. The boys and Roger spent the afternoon putting it together, and taking it for a drive around the yard. Of course, it happened to be pouring down rain this afternoon, but it certainly didn't bother the boys! They are excited about the adventures they can have, and we are looking forward to the memories they will create. Chandler wanted to know if we could ride it after the evening church service since it has a headlight. We had to disappoint him with a no for an answer. There will be opportunities to ride it and I don't think we need to start out by riding it in the dark and the rain!!

Anyways, that is the conclusion of our week. We are excited about another week of school, and we would appreciate your prayers as we continue forward. Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment